Motherwell v Hamilton Academical

Hibs are at home to Rangers on the Friday night and should they drop points, it gives us a huge chance to close the gap ahead of our trip to Easter Road the following week.

Both Lanarkshire derbies have been close affairs this season, with the away side coming out on top on both occasions. 

This could be another close game, as Accies have shown they can get pull a result out of the bag when required, but it's one we must win if we have any thoughts of getting a Top 6 place.

1-0 Motherwell (Hastie)

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard to change a winning team, but I’d bring Kilgallon in for McGowan and push Ziggy out to right back and we’d be stronger IMO.

I’d take a draw just now as long as Rice doesn’t do anything suicidal ala **** at NDP we should be good enough for a point.

It’ll be interesting to see who Accies play at left and right back to try and deal with Hastie and Gboly. Oakley and Miller seem a decent partnership under the new management so I wouldn’t be surprised if Accies score. 3-1 Motherwell.

Mon the Well . 4-1 pumping to be handed out. Ps. Could somebody tell those wee twats fae Hamilton who come over trying to be  the Chelsea Headhunters at every game, to please just stay in the house with their mammies

Given one of the big criticisms of Robinson previously was that he'd go in to these games with a view to "win the battle" and try to "out Accies" Accies with varying degrees of success it'll be interesting to see how he gets on with this new Sexy Motherwell identity.

We've only lost one league game in 2019 (vs Celtic) and for the most part it's been the same XI. The only change I can think of through those 7 games has been Scott for Main at Parkhead. We've played Hibs, Dundee, Livi, St Mirren, Hearts, Celtic and Killie with (largely) the same shape so that's a fair spread of the league without changing things up based on opposition.

Unless there are any injuries or suspensions I can't see us making any changes but like @YassinMoutaouakil I've 100% got the fear seeing any sort of confidence here.

We've not been particularly free-scoring (with the exception of the Livingston game it's been 1 or 2 goals and none in a game and a half at Killie) but definitely have a lot more about us going forward. I was going to say Accies are always stuffy but they have reportedly changed their style also so shaping up for an unusually open game. 0-0 then.

14 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

We've not been particularly free-scoring (with the exception of the Livingston game it's been 1 or 2 goals and none in a game and a half at Killie) but definitely have a lot more about us going forward. I was going to say Accies are always stuffy but they have reportedly changed their style also so shaping up for an unusually open game. 0-0 then.

We have plenty of creativity from the wings and midfield between Hastie, Ariyibi and Turnbull. The issue is that we've got a selection of strikers who are absolute bobbins. Main's been putting graft in but with little to no end product, Sammon is Sammon, McCormack has gone back to his Tenerife all inclusive and Johnson is useless up front himself. I wouldn't be against seeing more of Scott on Saturday but I doubt it'll happen from the start. 

This is one of these games that I'm desperate for us to win but not for league positions, etc. Since the Ross County debacle, this year so far has genuinely been what I go to the football for - watching us playing decent football, scoring good goals with plenty of the #youngteam involved - and a win here will keep that going nicely.  

I'm not over confident and it won't be comfortable but I think this team of all those that Robinson has had, are well suited to breaking other teams down which is a total contrast to when Accies last were at Fir Park. The other thing that gives me a bit of hope is that at NDP in December, we got a lot of joy down the wings and we've upgraded our options since then obviously (although Frear was great that day to be fair).

Odd goal win please.

MacKinnon and Martin are likely to have another tough shift helping out the full-backs. 22 needs to get his act together as Miller and Oakley will be working hard to pull the CBs about. The midfield that played Aberdeen was good defensively and will drive you up the park, but there's a lot of responsibility on the front three to create/score so you're struggling if one of them isn't firing.
Sowah and Tshiembe to have another masterclass, please.

21 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

The issue is that we've got a selection of strikers who are absolute bobbins. Main's been putting graft in but with little to no end product, Sammon is Sammon, McCormack has gone back to his Tenerife all inclusive and Johnson is useless up front himself. I wouldn't be against seeing more of Scott on Saturday but I doubt it'll happen from the start. 

I take it we’ve all pretty much just given up on McCormack then? 

There was talk of a minor calf strain prior to the Hearts game but absolutely nothing said about him in the two weeks since. Was well worth a punt but at this stage, it’s hard to see him getting fit enough to make any sort of meaningful contribution between now and the end of the season.

As such, Main for me is still very much the best of a very average bunch. Scott obviously has a lot of raw potential but hasn’t exactly done much thus far- in his albeit very limited game time- to suggest he’s ready to be leading the line on his own. 

13 hours ago, Mr Pikey said:

Mon the Well . 4-1 pumping to be handed out. Ps. Could somebody tell those wee twats fae Hamilton who come over trying to be  the Chelsea Headhunters at every game, to please just stay in the house with their mammies

Beware the Lincoln City Half-dozen

Archived