County Vs Morton

I've resisted actual cyber-bullying of McManus, but thought i'd dig back to see how consistent i've been in my frustration with him.

Looks like I pretty much gave up on him back in August in our first meeting with Morton (having seen him a couple times prior to that); admittedly he was on his own up front in that game, so may make more of an impact alongside a more 'composed' striker.

"Posted August 27, 2018 (edited)

McManus was pretty poor I thought.  Maybe harsh, as it wasn't so much that he didn't do anything, but that Kilday(?)  in particular didn't let him do anything.
Morton as a whole sat back and pressed very well, which is largely why we had to rely on Kelly and Tony D putting in good balls from fullback positions (which they did in first half).
But I thought Kilday in particular read the game better than McManus, and seemed faster, and better in the air. 
He wasn't as strong, but the ref blew for every 50/50 going (and some fouls obviously) so McManus offered very little.   
I'm a bit frustrated by McManus, I've noticed a habit of pointing where he wants the ball, stopping waiting for the pass, then running and being beaten to the ball.  
He's also not great in the air, and his touch isn't good enough to bring the ball under control when he's only being afforded glimpses of it.
Which is harsh  in games where he gets more space and can play his game, but i thought Morton  had his number and we suffered for a lack of presence up front while he played.
Graham came on and was immediately more of a threat, but by this point we weren't getting as much of the ball into the box, so unfortunately for us it wasn't enough.

I'd like to think that Graham starting for/with McManus, and any of Fraser/Watson/Stelios being fit and starting at RB would have seen a better performance and scoreline, but that maybe takes away from how good Morton were, and how much better we needed to be (not a huge amount better, but definite room for improvement)."

Other than one game against Motherwell, that sums up how I've felt about him in every(?) game he's featured in.
Decent squad player like, but I fear for us relying on him for goals.

To be clear, I have not cyber-bullied McManus, nor given him grief during games. I just like to discuss my frustrations in safe places - like here :whistle

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyway, I thought Morton were kind of robbed of points when they drew at home with Falkirk last time out. Tidser, Kiltie and a few others had a good game and played some tidy football.

Falkirk didn't have the same quality but ground out a draw with the evil and dark powers of Morton's Nemesis, Ray Mackinnon.

4 hours ago, virginton said:

Nope. Leaving aside the significant points advantage that is not going to get overturned,  the idea that we'd suddenly become a rudderless, seaside league bound rabble by playing McAlister, Millar and Lyon in midfield instead of the King Snake is just utter nonsense.

We have enough decent midfield options that we do not have to play someone who has shown no interest in the future prospects of the club. Send him to rot in the reserves then. 

Entirely expected!

We are a better team with Tidser in it and whilst there is the possibility, albeit small, of us either going up or indeed down, we should play our best team, Assuming we dont go up or down, there is a still around a 50k difference between 5th and 8th so every position counts.

I really couldn't give a toss whether we finish 5th or 8th right now. The rest of this campaign is meaningless, we should therefore be giving as much game time as possible to the players who will be playing for us next season (because we'll actually need good midfield understanding after we empty up to a dozen players in the summer again). The fact that it also punishes Tidser for being a massive fucking king snake just makes it a win-win policy all round.

13 hours ago, virginton said:

I really couldn't give a toss whether we finish 5th or 8th right now. The rest of this campaign is meaningless, we should therefore be giving as much game time as possible to the players who will be playing for us next season (because we'll actually need good midfield understanding after we empty up to a dozen players in the summer again). The fact that it also punishes Tidser for being a massive fucking king snake just makes it a win-win policy all round.

While I see the logic, the flaw with this is that if we’re playing three in midfield it would involve picking one of McAlister, Telfer or Dykes, none of whom should be playing for the club next season either on account of not being any good at football.

14 hours ago, dingdong1929 said:

I've resisted actual cyber-bullying of McManus, but thought i'd dig back to see how consistent i've been in my frustration with him.

Looks like I pretty much gave up on him back in August in our first meeting with Morton (having seen him a couple times prior to that); admittedly he was on his own up front in that game, so may make more of an impact alongside a more 'composed' striker.

"Posted August 27, 2018 (edited)

McManus was pretty poor I thought.  Maybe harsh, as it wasn't so much that he didn't do anything, but that Kilday(?)  in particular didn't let him do anything.
Morton as a whole sat back and pressed very well, which is largely why we had to rely on Kelly and Tony D putting in good balls from fullback positions (which they did in first half).
But I thought Kilday in particular read the game better than McManus, and seemed faster, and better in the air. 
He wasn't as strong, but the ref blew for every 50/50 going (and some fouls obviously) so McManus offered very little.   
I'm a bit frustrated by McManus, I've noticed a habit of pointing where he wants the ball, stopping waiting for the pass, then running and being beaten to the ball.  
He's also not great in the air, and his touch isn't good enough to bring the ball under control when he's only being afforded glimpses of it.
Which is harsh  in games where he gets more space and can play his game, but i thought Morton  had his number and we suffered for a lack of presence up front while he played.
Graham came on and was immediately more of a threat, but by this point we weren't getting as much of the ball into the box, so unfortunately for us it wasn't enough.

I'd like to think that Graham starting for/with McManus, and any of Fraser/Watson/Stelios being fit and starting at RB would have seen a better performance and scoreline, but that maybe takes away from how good Morton were, and how much better we needed to be (not a huge amount better, but definite room for improvement)."

Other than one game against Motherwell, that sums up how I've felt about him in every(?) game he's featured in.
Decent squad player like, but I fear for us relying on him for goals.

To be clear, I have not cyber-bullied McManus, nor given him grief during games. I just like to discuss my frustrations in safe places - like here :whistle

No worries

I'm just going with the sticking up for McManus angle with the hope that he will come good 

He seems like one of those extremely frustrating forwards that could be a key first teamer if he had a bit more of a brain on him and maybe could finish better.

I've not being able to see County up close for a while but planning a few games soon so will be only able to give a true McManus assessment then really. 

Hopefully he will get a few goals to help with the run in anyway or whoever else gets a chance up front! 

I should say the cyber bullying Mcmanus comment was just a joke, I just couldn't help but balance out the negativity about him even if i am not overly positive myself haha.

Should be a win here anyway, fingers crossed!

1 hour ago, BuieCounty said:

* Nice things *

Oh I know mun, all good, my cyber-bully comments were tongue in cheek.

With a couple of posters thinking he could come good I thought i'd dig into how i'd seen his season to date (and so put up a large boring post about our game in Cappielow in August).

Obviously very keen for him to come good! Just losing the faith.

Am going to make it up north for this one, so I'll be sure to give McManus lots of encouragement! ;) :thumsup2

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

While I see the logic, the flaw with this is that if we’re playing three in midfield it would involve picking one of McAlister, Telfer or Dykes, none of whom should be playing for the club next season either on account of not being any good at football.

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but how is Dykes looking for you guys?

Most of us thought he looked a great prospect and were a bit surprised to see him binned mid-season, especially given our injury problems all season.

(Spence has come in and got better every game, so we've not missed Dykes, but that's a tangent from the question...)

The tears. So beautiful.

2 hours ago, dingdong1929 said:

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but how is Dykes looking for you guys?

Most of us thought he looked a great prospect and were a bit surprised to see him binned mid-season, especially given our injury problems all season.

(Spence has come in and got better every game, so we've not missed Dykes, but that's a tangent from the question...)

He’s woeful. 

45 minutes ago, hoodless said:

He’s woeful. 

Thinks that's a bit over the top.

I thought the boy was doing reasonably ok but not adding to the team.

Lyon's is a class above him but only 18 so needs to strengthen up. I sure he will replace Tidser next season if someone does not take a punt on him.

Anyway looking forward to Saturday as it will be my first visit  just hope we don't get shafted by Graham or McManus.

5 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

I'm afraid that your contribution to this debate stopped being relevant when you claimed that we'd be better off with Dykes on the park than your bizarre nemesis McAlister. 

Unlucky.

27 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

The 'Staggie Pie' launched at the start of last season.

Admittedly I’ve only been to ~5 home games in that time but I’ve totallly missed this!

Archived