County Vs Morton

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be thinking we'll go 4-5-1/4-3-3 as well.

Morton are the only league side to have beaten us twice this season so we need to be 100% professional and don't fart around with the ball at the back too much.

We have been playing  a bit better recently with Tidser back in the team, Kiltie giving us something different and young Reece Lyon impressing every game  however its a tough ask to go up there and get a result.  ( 9 wins out of 12 at home is impressive)

We have been  532/352 the last few games so expect us to line up the same but no doubt much more defensive than the  2 recent games at Cappielow.

Kiltie and Thomson have looked ok together and with McHugh prob out, would expect them to start again! Dallas just hasn't done enough to start games at this level yet! Only decision i think JJ will have is to bring McAlister back in or keep Millar. Think he will go with McAlister with him being captain!  Just hope JJ doesn't make wholesale changes  to give Dykes and co a game!

Feel a bit sorry for O'Connell as he probably came up here expecting more game time but circumstance has meant a change in formation again.  No doubt we will revert back to 442/433 once we get pumped and he will get a few starts as he looks a decent player.

Expect us to line up something like;

McCrorie.

Waddell Buchanan Kilday.

Tumility                                       Iredale.

Lyon McAlister Tidser

Kiltie       Thomson.

Bench- Gaston, Millar, Telfer, Oliver,  Dykes, O'Connell, Dallas.

If we come back down the road with a point, that will be a good result for us however more than likely a narrow defeat.  County have hit some form again at the right time so really difficult for us to get anything. McKay is a big loss for County but you will no doubt bring in McManus and he is bound to score.

Kiltie's goal vs Falirk was class.  It's good to see him hitting form again, he showed at Kilmarnock how much quality he has.

Given that:
a) Once County got an early lead they tore Morton apart during the last match in Dingwall; and
b) The backs to the wall approach got JJ a win at Cappielow,

then I think that Morton won't show too much ambition and rely on the nippy forwards to counter..

I guess that Boyle will be fit and replace Grivosti at centre-back.  'Grivo' looks a good young player but he ended up in odd positions vs Ayr when defending on the counter attack and his ball-watching at Shankland's goal was concerning.  Boyle is unspectacular but as steady as you'll get for a defender in the Championship.

Draper is a key player to the team, but in his absence Lindsay and Spence have been fairly swift with their passing tempo.  If Morton were to sit deep then Draper's extra touches can be a problem.  Then again he can still bring other things to the table.

Graham had a pretty good game against Ayr with some selfless work.  I knock him sometimes but he deserves a run in the team if Stewart isn't 100%.

3 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

Given that:
a) Once County got an early lead they tore Morton apart during the last match in Dingwall; and

Would disagree it was backs to the wall at Cappielow. First half we gave you too much respect and sat very deep with County  controlling it  but I thought we pressed high, forced mistakes and created more in the  second half and were the better team.

We actually had more shots at goal and more efforts on target than County that night.

No idea how JJ will approach Sat. I would like to think he will give a go but he will no doubt want to stay in the game earlier doors!

3 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

Kiltie's goal vs Falirk was class.  It's good to see him hitting form again, he showed at Kilmarnock how much quality he has.

Given that:

then I think that Morton won't show too much ambition and rely on the nippy forwards to counter..

You missed out the all-important point c) 'Jonatan Johansson is a gutless shitebag' which confirms that ambitious, attacking football will not be offered against anyone, never mind in this fixture. 

That said, McKay's absence has to be considered a boost for us and if we can avoid conceding a stupid early goal then I don't think a point is out of the question here. 

6 hours ago, madton said:

...you will no doubt bring in McManus and he is bound to score.

He really isn't. 

Not sure ho far from fitness Stewart is, but im hoping to see Graham supported by Gardyne and Mullin with a central midfield 3.
If we go 442 again then McManus may start alongside Graham, but id rather see him wide right with Gardyne playing off Graham, and Armstrong on the left.
Essentially, i'd like to avoid McManus through the middle.

I guess Mullin is on @dingdong1929's naughty step.

I'm not a fan of McManus starting wide-right.  I think we got a lucky roll of the dice with his two crosses to Graham in the Motherwell cup tie.  It's been snake eyes since.

In other news: Semple, Cowie, Paton, Armstrong and Vigurs(!) all started for the reserves today.  I never saw any of it though.  Vigurs was subbed off at HT - either his fitness is that short or he has had another setback with his foot.

McManus is a useful player to bring with 15 minutes to go, when you've got a lead. He's a grafter like McKay but without the ability.

County have got 4 games in, what, 10 days? That's before the Irn-Bru Cup final. I reckon we'll see some, minor, changes throughout that period. Maybe drop Spence for Saturday, then bring him in on Tuesday to give Lindsay/Draper a rest. It's now that the squad needs to be rotated and utilised: I'd rest Stewart, even if he is match-fit.

6 points from the next two should be essential as we'll likely draw in Inverness. Heading to Tannadice with a gap of ≥8 points would be terrific.

5 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

I'm not a fan of McManus starting wide-right.  I think we got a lucky roll of the dice with his two crosses to Graham in the Motherwell cup tie.  It's been snake eyes since.

In other news: Semple, Cowie, Paton, Armstrong and Vigurs(!) all started for the reserves today.  I never saw any of it though.  Vigurs was subbed off at HT - either his fitness is that short or he has had another setback with his foot.

Or he was getting a wee run out and then saved for Saturday?

16 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

Mullin just isn't good enough for me! :thumbsdown

Nah, was more meaning later in the game,  somewhat based on the Ayr match when he  and Cowie were on for McKay and Mullin.
Except against Ayr he played through the middle and Cowie was wide right (was really hoping we were going to shore up midfield for the last few minutes, with Graham on his own up top, McManus wide, and Cowie in central mid).

I don't actually like McManus wide (certainly not ahead of Mullin) I just dislike through him the middle even more.   He's not very good at football, decent athlete though.

48 minutes ago, purplemonkeydishwasher said:

Tidser shouldn't even be given a strip.

Absolute should IMO.

Tids signed his PCA weeks ago yet has still put in really good performances and is a big factor in us picking up points recently. 

We are still not safe and we need to finish as high up the league as possible- finishing 4th/5th compared to 7th-8th(  or worse)  is a right few quid difference. Not that I think we will, but we still have a mathematical chance of 4th, so we need our best players on the park to finish the best we can to make as much prize money as possible!

Could you imagine we dropped Tids and ended up going down? Unlikely, but possible with our form and form of others!

Lyon will also learn a few things playing with him!

16 minutes ago, madton said:

Could you imagine we dropped Tids and ended up going down?

Nope. Leaving aside the significant points advantage that is not going to get overturned,  the idea that we'd suddenly become a rudderless, seaside league bound rabble by playing McAlister, Millar and Lyon in midfield instead of the King Snake is just utter nonsense.

We have enough decent midfield options that we do not have to play someone who has shown no interest in the future prospects of the club. Send him to rot in the reserves then. 

As long as County win i'll be happy but a comfortable home win would be very nice :)

Poor old untalented and not good at football McManus to hopefully prove his cyber bullies wrong and chip in with a few goals too :lol:

Fox

Fraser       Watson       Grivosti     VDW

Mullin   Lyndsay  Draper  Gardyne

McManus  Graham                      

Obviously the team will be a variation of something similar to what it usually is but maybe 2 up front would be nice and McManus to be given a chance up there to see if he looks like he could step up.

Morton have done well to beat us twice this year but anything less than a win would be extremely dissapointing at home so hopefully the boys carry on the winning form to keep Dundee United at arm's length and life will be just magical :)

21 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

Or, I suppose, he's good to go for Morton, but that's the least likely of those options.  

I saw Vigurs a couple of weeks ago, post the unpleasantness, and he was still noticeably limping.  I think we'll be lucky if he makes much of a (positive) impact this season.

Am I the only one who thinks there's a player in McManus, except he is what he is at this point?   What he isn't is composed.

Archived