Falkirk v Ayr United, Friday, 8th March.

18 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Our form now is similar to that of 2 years ago when we went down. McCall has done great things at Ayr but I’m not confident he would keep us up next season when our best players go.

I’d rather he left in the summer than stay and get sacked/relegate us next season.

Irrespective of where we finish this season next season will be a long hard slog! If Alloa stay up along with Arbroath at least there will be 2 part time teams. However if McCall does go I’m not sure who could do a better job if I’m totally honest

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Irrespective of where we finish this season next season will be a long hard slog! If Alloa stay up along with Arbroath at least there will be 2 part time teams. However if McCall does go I’m not sure who could do a better job if I’m totally honest

I don’t think a replacement has to necessarily be a better manager than McCall but one more suited to keeping teams in a division rather than trying to get promoted.

He’s a good manager when he’s got plenty of attacking options and can score plenty goals. Both of our promotion teams and this team scored a lot of goals. However he’s never shown that he can make us hard to beat which is probably what will be required next season as there’s no way we will replace Shanklands goals.

I don’t think a replacement has to necessarily be a better manager than McCall but one more suited to keeping teams in a division rather than trying to get promoted.

He’s a good manager when he’s got plenty of attacking options and can score plenty goals. Both of our promotion teams and this team scored a lot of goals. However he’s never shown that he can make us hard to beat which is probably what will be required next season as there’s no way we will replace Shanklands goals.

So you want to bin the manager that has you sitting third in the league after just coming up? Pure f*cking mental you lot have a reality check and sit down. He’s not perfect but by f**k what do you want the rejuvenated Paul Hartley? Jim Duffy, JJ, Naysmith?

Tight at the back, for me at least, includes the goalkeeper. Clean sheet suggests we kept it tight enough. 

I would say “defended well” includes the keeper but to me “keep it tight” means not giving up chances, and as has been said on another day we could (and arguably should) have scored 2 or 3.

I would say “defended well” includes the keeper but to me “keep it tight” means not giving up chances, and as has been said on another day we could (and arguably should) have scored 2 or 3.

So if we played without a keeper you should have won?

So you want to bin the manager that has you sitting third in the league after just coming up? Pure f*cking mental you lot have a reality check and sit down. He’s not perfect but by f**k what do you want the rejuvenated Paul Hartley? Jim Duffy, JJ, Naysmith?

Getting yourself in an awful mess over nothing there champ.

I like McCall and he’ll hopefully be remembered fondly by our fans when he’s left despite there being rifts between him and some sections of our support. He’s done an excellent job of assembling a good squad for next to nothing with guys like Shankland, Rose, Smith and Murdoch. However 3 maybe 4 of those won’t be here next season and another few will likely follow. McCall isn’t a miracle worker so I’d say there’s no chance he’ll replace these young guys with players if similar quality for the same price. This means that the free flowing attacking football we’ve played for the last 2 years may not be possible and considering it’s really the only approach McCall knows how to take I wouldn’t be too confident of us staying up next season. As good as this season has been us going back down next season will land us right back at square one.

What I was suggesting was not sacking McCall (if he thinks he can keep us up and establish us in this league then that’s fine and I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt) however I also wouldn’t be against parting ways with him and getting in a manager more suited to keeping us up and playing a slightly more defensive style of play. Something which McCall has never been able to do.

So it’s not as much as chucking him out after a great season but going in a different direction to ensure we stay in the league next season.

Will mccall rue the chairman not taking the sizeable sum offered for shankland in january or will the chairman cover that sum in the budget for next season?  Sounds like theres concern that ayr could be back in relegation trouble next season when that money could prove very useful.

I like McCall and he’ll hopefully be remembered fondly by our fans when he’s left despite there being rifts between him and some sections of our support. He’s done an excellent job of assembling a good squad for next to nothing with guys like Shankland, Rose, Smith and Murdoch. However 3 maybe 4 of those won’t be here next season and another few will likely follow. McCall isn’t a miracle worker so I’d say there’s no chance he’ll replace these young guys with players if similar quality for the same price. This means that the free flowing attacking football we’ve played for the last 2 years may not be possible and considering it’s really the only approach McCall knows how to take I wouldn’t be too confident of us staying up next season. As good as this season has been us going back down next season will land us right back at square one.

What I was suggesting was not sacking McCall (if he thinks he can keep us up and establish us in this league then that’s fine and I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt) however I also wouldn’t be against parting ways with him and getting in a manager more suited to keeping us up and playing a slightly more defensive style of play. Something which McCall has never been able to do.

So it’s not as much as chucking him out after a great season but going in a different direction to ensure we stay in the league next season.
Exactly could've been said going into this season. Fans predictions are always terrible, as shown by the first few pages of the big Ayr thread.

McCall goes through spells of greatness and hopelessness. But I wouldn't swap the last 2 years for 10 seasons of digging out survival in the championship. McCall can stay until he decides to do something else.

It's frustrating as hell at the moment but this season is far from over for us. Hope will bring us back next Saturday.

Will mccall rue the chairman not taking the sizeable sum offered for shankland in january or will the chairman cover that sum in the budget for next season?  Sounds like theres concern that ayr could be back in relegation trouble next season when that money could prove very useful.
If any Ayr fan says this then they're using hindsight. No-one was wanting to take the money.

He's struggling badly just now, but we'll support him right to the end.

17 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Its a good question, the way things have petered out we may have been better cashing in (in hindsight). However, no fan could really blame the board for holding the line and refusing to sell anyone, in December we were well in the hunt. It's just become a bit of an anti-climax now. 

Who would you like to see get the gig out of interest to play the more defensive style?

5 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Exactly could've been said going into this season. Fans predictions are always terrible, as shown by the first few pages of the big Ayr thread.

McCall goes through spells of greatness and hopelessness. But I wouldn't swap the last 2 years for 10 seasons of digging out survival in the championship. McCall can stay until he decides to do something else.

It's frustrating as hell at the moment but this season is far from over for us. Hope will bring us back next Saturday.

My view flips between yours and D'jaffo. If McCall leaves it will be because he walks, the club won't sack him.

Its a good question, the way things have petered out we may have been better cashing in (in hindsight). However, no fan could really blame the board for holding the line and refusing to sell anyone, in December we were well in the hunt. It's just become a bit of an anti-climax now. 
It only takes two wins on the bounce though, so we've still got plenty of time to get some momentum going into the playoffs (obviously we'll need those wins to secure fourth).

I'd rather lose the next three and then win the next three, than kind of stutter our way to the same number of points.

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

It only takes two wins on the bounce though, so we've still got plenty of time to get some momentum going into the playoffs (obviously we'll need those wins to secure fourth).

I'd rather lose the next three and then win the next three, than kind of stutter our way to the same number of points.

You're right of course but two wins in a row is something we havent done since 03 November. (It was actually 3 in a row). 

I'm just a bit depressed just now. Hopefully we start to turn it round on Saturday. It would be nice to be involved in the playoffs at the right end.

You're right of course but two wins in a row is something we havent done since 03 November. (It was actually 3 in a row). 
I'm just a bit depressed just now. Hopefully we start to turn it round on Saturday. It would be nice to be involved in the playoffs at the right end.
I'd still say the odds are with us on still finishing top four. The league is streaky as f**k, and I'd still rather have the points in the bag than be Dunfermline (at the moment, but games are slipping away fast).

absolutely this. Ayr under McCall are the best side to watch I've seen this season, very attack minded and entertaining. despite losing this match you created lots of excellent chances, a disallowed goal (a yard offside) several great saves from burgoyne and near misses, on another night you'd have scored a few. he's taken Ayr up and to the upper echelons of the league playing attacking football. the best football ive seen at Falkirk in 35 years was under McCall (possible exception Jefferies). if I were an Ayr fan I'd be enjoying watching Ayr this season even allowing for recent form

If your Auntie had baws type post.

Don’t think it has been mentioned but Ayr have joined the plastic drum banging fans. Embarrassing stuff for clubs like Livingston

absolutely this. Ayr under McCall are the best side to watch I've seen this season, very attack minded and entertaining. despite losing this match you created lots of excellent chances, a disallowed goal (a yard offside) several great saves from burgoyne and near misses, on another night you'd have scored a few. he's taken Ayr up and to the upper echelons of the league playing attacking football. the best football ive seen at Falkirk in 35 years was under McCall (possible exception Jefferies). if I were an Ayr fan I'd be enjoying watching Ayr this season even allowing for recent form

I’d agree with that. I think what hurts just now is that the early season raises our hopes and we’ve thrown away a sizeable lead and then dropped out of any title race completely and we’ve done it with a whimper. Teams aren’t having to play particularly well to beat us.

As you say though, even not playing very well on Friday, we could easily have scored a few so it’s fine margins I guess and we’re maybe not getting some of the luck we might have had earlier in the season.

Archived