Falkirk v Ayr United, Friday, 8th March.

I was very impressed with Osman. He does the job that can easily go unnoticed but I've been impressed with him every time I've seen him. He blocked off Shankland to win the ball on the build up to our second, yet I can guarantee a lot didn't notice it

100% his job is just to break things up and regain possession. He is excellent at it.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Muirheads complete lack of positional sense and kerrs 9 iron chips to absolutely noone brought back a few memories last night. Thank feck we've shifted them on.

Don’t agree about Mark Kerr mate. He had two good spells with us and always showed the club and fans a great deal of respect.

I have a lot of time for Mark Kerr and expect most of our fans do too.

2 hours ago, Hawk89 said:

Fwiw I think folk are being a bit harsh on Muirhead. Smith and Harvie sold out Muirhead and Rose quite a few times last night.

Really don't get the Crawford boo boys on last nights performance, he wasn't by any stretch the worst on the park.

We really are missing Forrest on that right side, any news of when he's back?

Disagree, Muirhead caused his own issues allowing the ball to bounce to often instead of dealing with it early. The change of shape midway through the half meant the full backs were more exposed as the wingers were in a narrow diamond. The midfield gave the ball away so many times when the full backs were going forward and Falkirk were quick to break. .

It's funny how McKinnon's January signings, despite being slated rotten by opposition fans, have all done really well for us. Osman is properly coming onto a game and Dixon/Edge have prevented the league's top scorers from having any joy whatsoever at TFS.

Form: Last 8 matches (HOME AND AWAY)
GP W D L GF GA GD Pts
1 Ross County 8 6 0 2 15 11 +4 18
2 Falkirk 8 4 4 0 13 6 +7 16
3 Dunfermline 8 4 2 2 9 5 +4 14
4 Dundee Utd 8 4 2 2 8 6 +2 14
5 Partick Thistle 8 3 2 3 11 13 -2 11
6 Inverness 8 3 1 4 9 10 -1 10
7 Alloa Athletic 8 3 1 4 10 14 -4 10
8 Morton 8 2 3 3 5 6 -1 9
9 Ayr United 8 2 1 5 8 11 -3 7
10 Queen of South 8 2 0 6 8 11 -3 6

10 minutes ago, Rizzo said:

It's funny how McKinnon's January signings, despite being slated rotten by opposition fans, have all done really well for us. Osman is properly coming onto a game and Dixon/Edge have prevented the league's top scorers from having any joy whatsoever at TFS.

And slated by alot of our own fans before they'd even kicked a ball for us.

7 minutes ago, Syd Puddefoot said:

And slated by alot of our own fans before they'd even kicked a ball for us.

Edgenguele apart, who? Where? An out and out lie, but anything to perpetuate the big bad Falkirk support fallacy I suppose. 

Didn't think we were great but once we got in front we managed the game easily. Big Harry had a couple of top saves but outside of that Ayr never really threatened. Second half we created nothing.

You have to hand it to McKinnon. He has got a formula that is working. It is not pretty but Christ are we hard to beat.

Thought Osman was excellent last night and the back four good too.

We can do to Dingwall with a little less pressure especially if the three clubs around us lose today.

Just as we talked about last night, keep it tight at the back and we will be fine.
Not the most “sexy” type of football but it will see us through to the end of the season.

Folk moaned about Dixon too

Fair to say there was some mixed views on at least a couple of signings, and some of the criticism was based on their form or lack of it elsewhere. Don’t really see that being a problem TBH. Dixon is certainly way better than I expected. I still think Edge has a howler in him but so far has been excellent.

People will get some right and some wrong. So what?

Fair to say there was some mixed views on at least a couple of signings, and some of the criticism was based on their form or lack of it elsewhere. Don’t really see that being a problem TBH. Dixon is certainly way better than I expected. I still think Edge has a howler in him but so far has been excellent.

People will get some right and some wrong. So what?

I have much more confidence in Rays signing policy than Hartleys. Don’t think any of that dross would have got contracts if Hartley had them up for trials instead of signing them on the word of someone else.

19 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Just as we talked about last night, keep it tight at the back and we will be fine.
Not the most “sexy” type of football but it will see us through to the end of the season.

You didn't keep it that tight at the back as Ayr had quite a few chances. Shankland especially missed two really good ones, with the one in the first few minutes being the worst. Your keeper made some good saves although the Shankland one was not the finish you'd expect from him.

However Falkirk did look much more solid than when I last saw you, which was at the end of December in a rather delightful game. Much more organised as well, and of course you have better players. Hartley surely can't get another in Scotland again after that signing farce.

Rudden is quality. He makes really good runs and has a nice bit of pace that often gets him in front of defenders. He has a good football brain as well as he often anticipates where the ball will be. Good finisher too. Enjoy him whilst you cam as he'll surely be on loan at a Premiership club next season.

Ayr fans must be deeply concerned with that shit. If Shankland had scored that chance early on I think they would have won without being overly troubled. However they seemed nervy and lacking in confidence, which the poor passing highlighted. The midfield had a big disconnect with both the defence and the attack, rendering them almost useless. Ayr were wanting to build from defence but too often the midfield were nowhere to be seen, resulting in punts or panicked passes that went right to a Falkirk player. Aside from a couple of runs on their left and Miller trying but being isolated and having to resort to aimless crosses I can't recall Ayr's midfield doing much. The goal did them and aside from a late flurry they had no answer. They're sinking and fast, and unfortunately for them much of that team will be elsewhere next season. Dare I say it but perhaps change at the top is required? McCall has done very well this season until the end of 2018 but it's unravelling fast. Can he rebuild in the summer to the extent that Ayr will challenge for a playoff place?

You didn't keep it that tight at the back as Ayr had quite a few chances. Shankland especially missed two really good ones, with the one in the first few minutes being the worst. Your keeper made some good saves although the Shankland one was not the finish you'd expect from him.
However Falkirk did look much more solid than when I last saw you, which was at the end of December in a rather delightful game. Much more organised as well, and of course you have better players. Hartley surely can't get another in Scotland again after that signing farce.
Rudden is quality. He makes really good runs and has a nice bit of pace that often gets him in front of defenders. He has a good football brain as well as he often anticipates where the ball will be. Good finisher too. Enjoy him whilst you cam as he'll surely be on loan at a Premiership club next season.
Ayr fans must be deeply concerned with that shit. If Shankland had scored that chance early on I think they would have won without being overly troubled. However they seemed nervy and lacking in confidence, which the poor passing highlighted. The midfield had a big disconnect with both the defence and the attack, rendering them almost useless. Ayr were wanting to build from defence but too often the midfield were nowhere to be seen, resulting in punts or panicked passes that went right to a Falkirk player. Aside from a couple of runs on their left and Miller trying but being isolated and having to resort to aimless crosses I can't recall Ayr's midfield doing much. The goal did them and aside from a late flurry they had no answer. They're sinking and fast, and unfortunately for them much of that team will be elsewhere next season. Dare I say it but perhaps change at the top is required? McCall has done very well this season until the end of 2018 but it's unravelling fast. Can he rebuild in the summer to the extent that Ayr will challenge for a playoff place?

We shouldn’t be changing manager at the minute but McCall will leave in the summer.

9 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

We shouldn’t be changing manager at the minute but McCall will leave in the summer.

Aye no need for now but there might be a question in the summer. There's strong arguments for him to stay as well as go.

56 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Next season is the time for Sexy football as we sexy it to the title with Sweatervests chargers

Aye no need for now but there might be a question in the summer. There's strong arguments for him to stay as well as go.

Our form now is similar to that of 2 years ago when we went down. McCall has done great things at Ayr but I’m not confident he would keep us up next season when our best players go.

I’d rather he left in the summer than stay and get sacked/relegate us next season.

6 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Our form now is similar to that of 2 years ago when we went down. McCall has done great things at Ayr but I’m not confident he would keep us up next season when our best players go.

I’d rather he left in the summer than stay and get sacked/relegate us next season.

At least he's shown that he can get you back up should that happen!

At least he's shown that he can get you back up should that happen!

True but our relegation meant that people were quick to criticise him last season whenever we lost a game.

I’m sure I speak for all Ayr fans when I say that I have no wish to be back in the seaside leagues for at least another few years yet.

Archived