Falkirk v Ayr United, Friday, 8th March.

11 minutes ago, super_carson said:

I do laugh at the ‘this league is shite cause Ayr were top’ argument. We’ve over achieved, massively, but we were playing some great football earlier in the season. Just because the so-called big teams in the league have been awful doesn’t make it a bad league, it makes those teams bad teams.

Ayr probably has as many shots on target as Falkirk (I’ve not checked) and I’ve already said that both teams were pish tonight. Falkirk deserves to win, no arguments, they took their chances when they came but they were the shiniest of two turds.

I'd complain if there was that much salt on my chips.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Helluva night (weather and result). Absolutely soaked, but well worth it. Sure, we got the jammy first goal, but freak shot or not, the keeper should have gotten a hand to it. The second goal was a beauty though.

Ayr had more possession and may well have had more shots than us, but we have (for now), a much better keeper, and it wouldn’t surprise me to see him follow Krull and Schmeichel into the EPL.

Anyway, an absolutely massive three points. Friday night fitba’ is great when you win. For now, Alloa and Partick will feel the heat.

Is that Ayr’s title challenge realistically done and dusted?

He’s been very good for us all season but that’s two weeks on the trot that Doohan’s cost us the opening goal in the game.
Might have been different if Shankland had buried that earlier chance.

12 minutes ago, super_carson said:

I do laugh at the ‘this league is shite cause Ayr were top’ argument. We’ve over achieved, massively, but we were playing some great football earlier in the season. Just because the so-called big teams in the league have been awful doesn’t make it a bad league, it makes those teams bad teams.

Ayr probably has as many shots on target as Falkirk (I’ve not checked) and I’ve already said that both teams were pish tonight. Falkirk deserves to win, no arguments, they took their chances when they came but they were the shiniest of two turds.

2 wins in 13 tell you more where Ayr are now. It's very much the Livvy winning mentality to drive you on but in Ayr's case it's fell off a cliff

It's the old "you only won because we were more shitter" argument. 

We outplayed them when it mattered, shut them down whenever we could and kept them out with some excellent goalkeeping. 

At no point did I say that, Falkirk stuck to their task well and stopped Ayr playing...I’m not disagreeing there. But Falkirk fans need to remember that this not the Ayr team from the start of the season...it’s a great win given the context of your season, fair enough, but I don’t think you can say that it was two quality teams out there.

I thought you keeper did make some decent saves, but we could have worked him more if we stopped passing it around side to side.

At no point did I say that, Falkirk stuck to their task well and stopped Ayr playing...I’m not disagreeing there. But Falkirk fans need to remember that this not the Ayr team from the start of the season...it’s a great win given the context of your season, fair enough, but I don’t think you can say that it was two quality teams out there.

I thought you keeper did make some decent saves, but we could have worked him more if we stopped passing it around side to side.
No we dont need to remember that in the slightest. Its in now way relevant.

5 minutes ago, munro7 said:

He’s been very good for us all season but that’s two weeks on the trot that Doohan’s cost us the opening goal in the game.
Might have been different if Shankland had buried that earlier chance.

I still put part of the blame on Adams for the Ross County one. However he's been solid all season and I can confidently say there isn't a better keeper in the league. The Falkirk keeper however had a pretty good game.

We're in real danger of being overtaken by Dunfermline and ICT and if we drop out the playoffs you have to ask whether we were right to reject the offers for Smith, Rose and Shankland in January. 

5 minutes ago, super_carson said:

We've not seen that Ayr side since November ffs. We're very unlikely to see it again. 

In no way was it two quality side however I was impressed Falkirk's defensive organisation and pressing. If you gift 2 goals to teams like that then you will find it hard to break them down.  

We've not seen that Ayr side since November ffs. We're very unlikely to see it again. 

In no way was it two quality side however I was impressed Falkirk's defensive organisation and pressing. If you gift 2 goals to teams like that then you will find it hard to break them down.  

We’ve not been able to break most teams down since November.

Our title challenge has been done and dusted for several weeks now. Top 4 finish is also now unlikely unless we can get ourselves out of this rut. Thought we'd done it when we beat Alloa and Dundee United, recently,  but that was a false dawn. If only we could play Alloa, Dundee U or  Thistle every week. Nine of our twelve wins have come against those three.

Bad as we were tonight I thought we might have got something out of it. Shanks a bit unlucky several times but should have scored with the one he hit straight at the Burgoyne. Keeper had several excellent saves with his legs. Once again I thought McCall's substitutions were a bit dubious. Was Moffat injured?  Even an under performing Moff is liable to do more than a young lad with only one start all season. 

Another defeat to an absolute howler of a team, young keeper needs dropped not for the first time he’s cost the team  first goal is crucial in these games and we gift wrap it AGAIN and can’t continue just waiting on the usual McCall defence of the players  where they’ve taken us etc,in after match comments, any where else he’d be sacked but got the cushiness job he’s ever had in his life  under no pressure.

51 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Heard the sound of smashing glass coming from the Falkirk area tonight. Anyone catch it too? 

No because we have no bottle left to smash. 

We’ve not been able to break most teams down since November.

Falkirk today weren’t set up to defend from the off though. Once they had their two goals they could sit deeper and hit us on the counter.

If we defend better and hit them on the break then we stand a chance but we allowed them to get in front and make us break them down.

5 minutes ago, Lochwood said:

Another defeat to an absolute howler of a team, young keeper needs dropped not for the first time he’s cost the team  first goal is crucial in these games and we gift wrap it AGAIN and can’t continue just waiting on the usual McCall defence of the players  where they’ve taken us etc,in after match comments, any where else he’d be sacked but got the cushiness job he’s ever had in his life  under no pressure.

giphy.gif

Falkirk aren’t the same shite team we’ve beaten twice this season. They may not play pretty but they were better than us today.

Who do we play instead of Doohan? Hare-Reid? Doohans been our most consistent performer this season and I include Shankland in that. You don’t just go dropping goalies after a mistake or two. That just causes more upheaval.

And no anywhere else McCall wouldn’t be sacked unless you’re talking Dundee United or Ross County. He’s met his objective of the season so why would we sack him? He’ll likely leave at the end of the season so you can look forward to that no doubt.

After a busy few months I finally made it down to a game since rays January revamp and fuckin hell what a difference! Thought the keeper was excellent, cellor dunne is fucking sexy and we as a team just seem to be picking up steam.
Ayr were much poorer than I expected and they are very much in a hole right now but in the words of danny dyer .. f**k them c***s, Tonight was about us, better side by far easily for 75 mins.
If this sounds OTT then tough, that was the first time i saw my team win this season .
Furthermore that was the first time in a long while i watched a game at TFS that wasn’t brutal too watch, keep our eye on the ball and we should be fine

Archived