If your team Folded ?

Living not far from it, I took a wee wander to Cathkin Park the other day to see the work that had been done on clearing the terracing of leaves and debris, and it now even eerier than ever.  What didn’t help was this....

I notice an older guy (probably mid sixties) just constantly walking around and looking at all the parts of the ground that still stand and eventually we got talking.  Turns out he was a Thirds fan, who was 12 when they went bust and he told me he would come over once a week since losing his old man, get the train to Crosshill (just around the corner) and wander round the old stadium.  He’s never supported another club, hardly been to any live games.  What was striking was seeing the obvious haunt in his eyes and speech for what he’d lost.  He even called himself a “lost soul” of football.  Poor bugger.

Got me thinking back to Dunfermlines own dark times and how close we were to going under.  It might just be a football team to many but for some it’s more than just a club.  We were so lucky not to go the same way as Thirds, and sometimes you need that wee reminder.

If the worst had happened, I wouldn’t have supported one particular team I don’t think.  Probably just attended random games.  But let’s hope none of our clubs go to the wall like some in the past, it’s soul destroying.

apart from when it happen (ed/s) to Rangers. ;)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We discussed this in the pub pre-match on Saturday. I'd probably watch Kelty Hearts who're my local junior team. I go to a couple of their games a season if Dunfermline aren't playing. I couldn't support another professional Scottish team the same way I do Dunfermline, it wouldn't feel right and would definitely lack passion.

I'd go to a lot of different fixtures for the experience but just as a neutral.

4 hours ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

If Thistle do go bust( and we are heading that way) I would give up Scottish football altogether as it is a sham of a country for football. Corrupt from top to bottom in the footballing organisations and media. I'd stick with following my English team( although that is horrendous at the moment)

Hilariously said with no hint of irony at all. Who are your English team?

11 minutes ago, JFPar said:

We discussed this in the pub pre-match on Saturday. I'd probably watch Kelty Hearts who're my local junior team. I go to a couple of their games a season if Dunfermline aren't playing. I couldn't support another professional Scottish team the same way I do Dunfermline, it wouldn't feel right and would definitely lack passion.

I'd go to a lot of different fixtures for the experience but just as a neutral.

Kelty are in in same association/pyramid as Dunfermline now. I’d previously have considered watching Camelon while they were under a separate association (SJFA) but it wouldnt feel right now they are in the same set-up as Stenhousemuir. As the junior scene around here is almost non-existant now, put me down as another one for the groundhoppers! 

As the name suggests, my hear-felt footballing allegiance  lies down south but I've been in Scotland now for 13 years and been an Ayr Utd season ticket holder for 10 seasons now I think (they're the wife's team). Took a couple of years to get used to the standard of football generally in Scotland (brutally brought home to me when I was in the away end at Hearts when Spurs humiliated them 5 nil) but watching live football is just so much better than being a TV fan that probably I care almost as much about Ayr Utd now and certainly more invested in time and money.

But if Ayr Utd went under and did not do a Phoenix from the Flames act, then I suspect I would find another Scottish club to follow - probably Spartans, maybe Edinburgh City, given we live in Edinburgh.

Since following Ayr Utd, being able to affordably sponsor shirts, go to POTY and other events without too much hassle getting or affording a ticket, joining the AUFC 500 Club etc., I  know I prefer the feel and family nature of a smaller Club where you can feel, and actually, get closer to the players and management team and make a difference just by coming along. 

Meanwhile if Spurs went under I could never follow another English club - which probably answers the equivalent question for me to what you are asking here.

Definitely wouldn't get drawn to following  Annan Athletic or Gretna 2008 as my new Club. .  Probably pick and choose some  South /Eastof Scotland or Southern Counties games. Maybe even go to odd Carlisle Utd (cough) home games  cos I used to go to some  games there many,  many years ago when they were in the 2nd tier of English football,  (now the Championship)   before I started going regularly  to Queens away games,   or  when Carlisle had a midweek home fixture and Queens didn't.  I would probably be a bit hypocritical,  like some others on here,  and support a phoenix version of my club  if one started,  whilst still  condemning Sevco fans of course. 

If my team folded I would buy Clydebank and rebrand them as Ayr United United, move the franchise to Ayr and pretend we were still Ayr United.

I often said that I would follow my local team, should Ayr ever fold, but as the years have went on I would simply not bother with football anymore.

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Definitely wouldn't get drawn to following  Annan Athletic or Gretna 2008 as my new Club. .  Probably pick and choose some  South /Eastof Scotland or Southern Counties games. Maybe even go to odd Carlisle Utd (cough) home games  cos I used to go to some  games there many,  many years ago when they were in the 2nd tier of English football,  (now the Championship)   before I started going regularly  to Queens away games,   or  when Carlisle had a midweek home fixture and Queens didn't.  I would probably be a bit hypocritical,  like some others on here,  and support a phoenix version of my club  if one started,  whilst still  condemning Sevco fans of course. 

To be fair, the main criticism at Sevco is generally not the fact that they reformed as a club, but that they deny the simple fact they're a new club and that they tried to start at the top. If QoS reform in say the South of Scotland league and work their way back up the leagues while claiming to be a continuation, rather than the same club, I wouldn't see anything wrong with it and you'd have my respect/sympathy.

2 minutes ago, wuffster said:

I would get heavily into lawn bowls.

:lol:  The drinking culture may be the same, but you can't rip into the opposition and officials in the same way and the singing section is rubbish.

Also hear the betting culture is hard-core and matching fixing is rife! ^_^

If Inverness Caley Thistle disappeared that would be that for me at that level. I would still go as a neutral to random games around the country, but there would be no or little connection. I have liked other teams in the past this is more to do with the manager, players and the way they go about their football but it would only last as long as the personel remained,  you do look for their scores at 5 o'clock on a Saturday, but need to go to games to warm to clubs.
I could never support or warm to a team just by watching them on TV, I don't know or understand the Man Utd or Man City fans up here in Scotland who have never been to a game in their life why they choose to support a club they have no personal connection with. Same could be said for the majority of Celtic and Rangers fans up here in Inverness who were born here and rarely or never go down the road to support their team. I just think its a waste.
I have during my time lost Caledonian and then gained Inverness Caledonian Thistle and also the local Juniors club Inverness City who are currently in abeyance, I'd follow them if they came back. I'd go to watch Clach but because I supported Caley in the HL I wouldn't get too involved with that. Then there is Inverness Athletic who I've never seen yet, maybe take in a few games there. So mainly I would look to support a club which represents my home town.
Another option is going along to watch the Shinty and maybe do some ground hopping during the summer around the grounds.

I’m actually a regular at Man City midweek games and particularly the Champions League games as I work down that way. I’ve even done some work at the club so been invited to hospitality in the past.
Supported City since 1976 but I have to admit I’d much rather watch the club that was in the third tier than the current team.
We all strive for our club to do well but once it happens it’s never really the same.

Everyone would be similar I think, a football nomad.

I'd pick and choose what football to watch. My most local senior side is Livingston, if Dunfermline ceased to exist then I likely would attended a lot of Livingston games and probably travel to other games that takes my interest. I would imagine that for the vast majority of us the passion we all have for our respective clubs is irreplaceable.

West Lothian gives you incredible choice for watching JSFA as well.

Best story of clubs going tits up on here came from the lads at Meadowbank Thistle. The then director who wanted to physically attack those against moving and rebranding as Livingston. The fans (a few) who followed on for while and how they felt about the newbie Livingston fans.

Another group of fans who did a bit more than greet were Clydebank, respect.

As for Third Lanark fans forget it, my abiding memory of the Thirds will be the Hi Hi bar on Crown St in the Gorbals. A lot of old cigarette stained black and white pictures of Third Lanark and a jukebox full of rebel records. And oh Teddy Taylor chairing a protest meeting in the Dixon Halls 7 years too late.

4 hours ago, Yid_in_Exiile said:

:lol:  The drinking culture may be the same, but you can't rip into the opposition and officials in the same way and the singing section is rubbish.

Also hear the betting culture is hard-core and matching fixing is rife! ^_^

That part disappoints me. Comfy shoes though...

This might be the saddest thread ever on P&B. Is there a saddest thread section ? Lighten up boys & girls...

Oh,...And, as for the chap who has an Ayr United season ticket and wants to get more involved in the actual, real, blood & snotters, nitty-gritty of the game,...may I suggest that you get yourself along to Whitletts Victoria because they'd appreciate your help as well as your money.

ETA...sorry,...just realised you live in Edinburgh so not very handy for putting the nets up or lining the park on a Saturday morning. I'm sure Musselburgh Athletic in the EoS would also like a hand and they're very nice people too.

Archived