West Region Premiership - relegation

Shannon

Decent match at Newlandsfield tonight.

Pollok seemed to be coasting it until two penalties for Renfrew, one each in the minutes either side of half time, turned the game on its head.

McGregor was then sent off and I thought it was going to be Renfrew's night, but Pollok then got a really soft penalty which was converted on the rebound from the goalie's save.

The thing that struck me towards the end was that Renfrew really needed the win, and they had an extra man, but they didn't go for it. Quite often they had good possession in wide attacking areas, but only Scott Morton to aim for in the penalty area. They should have been throwing the kitchen sink at it, win or bust, but they didn't. Even when they got a corner in the 92nd minute, they kept two defenders and their goalkeeper back. They should all have been up in the box, win or bust. It was the last minute of the season for them, and they needed a goal to have a chance of survival.

I think they will regret not really gambling, as Pollok were vulnerable tonight. Renfrew will join Peasy and Cambuslang in the drop now I reckon.

8 hours ago, glensmad said:

Decent match at Newlandsfield tonight.

Pollok seemed to be coasting it until two penalties for Renfrew, one each in the minutes either side of half time, turned the game on its head.

McGregor was then sent off and I thought it was going to be Renfrew's night, but Pollok then got a really soft penalty which was converted on the rebound from the goalie's save.

The thing that struck me towards the end was that Renfrew really needed the win, and they had an extra man, but they didn't go for it. Quite often they had good possession in wide attacking areas, but only Scott Morton to aim for in the penalty area. They should have been throwing the kitchen sink at it, win or bust, but they didn't. Even when they got a corner in the 92nd minute, they kept two defenders and their goalkeeper back. They should all have been up in the box, win or bust. It was the last minute of the season for them, and they needed a goal to have a chance of survival.

I think they will regret not really gambling, as Pollok were vulnerable tonight. Renfrew will join Peasy and Cambuslang in the drop now I reckon.

You could make the case for flinging everything at it and risking losing the point we had, if we survive with 30 then we were right,

if 31 or 32 is the figure that would have kept us up, then we regret not gambling.

Not as if we weren't creating chances, bit more composure by Rikki McIntosh when clean through and the keeper wouldn't have had a chance to make the save he did, although considering Rikki was basically playing on one leg by that time from the "treatment" he had got from Pollok defenders, probably did well even to get the shot away!

Every team can probably say this but considering last night there were at least 3 or 4 in Frew jersey's who were carrying injuries going into the game,

proud of every one of them,

if we do go down at least we've not gone without a fight,

we were everybody's favourites to be tailed off at the bottom (which as Sancho above says is where we were at Xmas!)

so from that perspective even third bottom will have proved a lot wrong,

but this aint over yet........

1 hour ago, Frew Fan 2001 said:

For those of us in the middle of it, not sure if fascinating is the word we'd use!!!!!!

Hope Ladeside boys are keeping calm getting to bed at the right hour and trying to relax.Its all about the Camby game on Sat.And then and only then can we plan for next season.In any shape or form but we need big hearts and professionalism from our lads

Edited by Tartan Tammy 1297
Clarity

On 25/04/2019 at 11:24, Tartan Tammy 1297 said:

Hope Ladeside boys are keeping calm getting to bed at the right hour and trying to relax.Its all about the Camby game on Sat.And then and only then can we plan for next season.In any shape or form but we need big hearts and professionalism from our lads

Let’s get planning.Let Liam gel his own team.

He deserves a fair chance after the shambles Budgie Mcghie left him