Referees - poor wee lambs

The real Dembele

After the Larkhall Thistle v Girvan game being abandoned today it really is time to spare a thought for the referees and linesmen.

Out there in the rain and chilly wind with no more protection than a short sleeved shirt, it is a real surprise that as many games manage to get played to the end without the SFA's finest crawling away on the flimsiest of excuses back home with their match fee tucked away in their pockets.

So when it does happen and the pitch looks perfect to the untrained non-SFA eye it comes as even more of a shock and total shite for the decent sized Girvan support who made the 57.9 Googlemile, hour and a half journey for nothing.

Match off, my decision, off you go, don't speak to me.

After the Larkhall Thistle v Girvan game being abandoned today it really is time to spare a thought for the referees and linesmen.
Out there in the rain and chilly wind with no more protection than a short sleeved shirt, it is a real surprise that as many games manage to get played to the end without the SFA's finest crawling away on the flimsiest of excuses back home with their match fee tucked away in their pockets.
So when it does happen and the pitch looks perfect to the untrained non-SFA eye it comes as even more of a shock and total shite for the decent sized Girvan support who made the 57.9 Googlemile, hour and a half journey for nothing.
Match off, my decision, off you go, don't speak to me.

We were told it was due to the linesman going over on his ankle
Pity,because imo we would of taken Girvan in the 2nd half
Thought it wax a good crowd as well today,giving the weather conditions

If that was the reason, I wonder whether they could have considered continuing the game with a club linesman on each side? You would think the referee would have experience of officiating in that manner.

Ref at our game has saved our season with the decision to abandon today's game at the 70 mins mark. It was the right decision but could have no complaints if the game had played out and finished 3-1. Hopefully when the game is replayed we will be up for it

2 hours ago, tombo said:

Ref at our game has saved our season with the decision to abandon today's game at the 70 mins mark. It was the right decision but could have no complaints if the game had played out and finished 3-1. Hopefully when the game is replayed we will be up for it

It was the right decision for Irvine Vics. Seen games played to a finish on worse surfaces than that, the last 16 minutes of the game could've been played out for sure.

It was the right decision for Irvine Vics. Seen games played to a finish on worse surfaces than that, the last 16 minutes of the game could've been played out for sure.
It was the right decision for both teams, harsh on Kello, definitely , but in the interests of player safety he had to stop the game when he did, it wasn't a dirty game , as there wasn't a bad tackle and give credit to both teams despite the conditions.
Good to see Shaka still playing for you. Between him and our centre Big Kevin, there must be a combined 20plus years service for the respective clubs.
T

1 hour ago, tombo said:

It was the right decision for both teams, harsh on Kello, definitely , but in the interests of player safety he had to stop the game when he did, it wasn't a dirty game , as there wasn't a bad tackle and give credit to both teams despite the conditions.
Good to see Shaka still playing for you. Between him and our centre Big Kevin, there must be a combined 20plus years service for the respective clubs.
T

Player safety is the universal get out clause for referees but can anybody ever remember a player getting injured because it was raining?

Player safety is the universal get out clause for referees but can anybody ever remember a player getting injured because it was raining?
Not from raining, but I have seen someone pop their knee cap and rip both their cruciate & medial ligaments by not being able to stop properly on sodden surface. Also one of the committee guys from Kello told us that Shaka was out the game for 18months due to an injury sustained from his own sliding tackle that took him right out the pitch and colliding with a concrete post in similar conditions.
Like I have said in earlier post it was harsh on Kello and the boys down there are a good bunch but despite their disappointment most felt that he should have abandoned the game at halftime when he came out on his own to reinspect the pitch.
It's another lucky break for us, but we will take it as we haven't had many this season and there is no guarantee that the result won't be repeated when we eventually go back down.

15 hours ago, larky9 said:

My info from the game was that it was abandoned due to the pitch becoming unplayable. No mention of an injury and that was confirmed by the referees report.

Archived