Queens v Inverness

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I thought/and think it's blatantly obvious Jacobs is hitting that back. Given he was falling, he's obviously made some effort to get enough power on it to go back. Brownlie clearly thinks the same as he looks happy to let it go back as well. Of the two, only Fordyce takes any heat from me on that as he doesn't track Doran. He then gets his feet badly wrong when it goes past him. One other thing I will say in Martin's defence; if you look at the ball, it takes a bounce that gives Doran the advantage right at the end whereas on a decent surface it would almost certainly have went in Martin's favour.

I can't recall Jacobs trying to blame anyone else when he's made a mess of things, so him looking at Martin (along with Brownlie and Fordyce) would also for me suggest Jacobs had completely intended on sending the ball back. Doran clearly thought the same as he was on it before Jacobs hit the ball. If Doran knew where that ball was going to be played it's hard not to be frustrated that our goalkeeper couldn't see it coming.

OK, so lets assume Jacobs does intend to play it back to the keeper. Why would you try such a risky pass when you're clearly off balance? Having tried it, the ball lands a good 10 yards short of where it should.

You're right about the bounce of the ball, it does favour Dorran. Martin also seems to hesitate when he realises the ball isnt going to get into the box much before Dorran does. He could, though, have got their quicker or slid into claim the ball as it enters the box. 

Dorrans doesnt "see it coming". He's five yards the wrong side of Brownlie and Fordyce when Jacobs kicks the ball. He reacts and runs past both of them to get on it, as they stand and watch. As I said, Martin is moving to his left. If he anticipates anything, its the ball coming to his left side. Jacobs, though, hooks it to his right into no mans land.

None of the four involved come out of this well

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK, so lets assume Jacobs does intend to play it back to the keeper. Why would you try such a risky pass when you're clearly off balance? Having tried it, the ball lands a good 10 yards short of where it should.
You're right about the bounce of the ball, it does favour Dorran. Martin also seems to hesitate when he realises the ball isnt going to get into the box much before Dorran does. He could, though, have got their quicker or slid into claim the ball as it enters the box. 
Dorrans doesnt "see it coming". He's five yards the wrong side of Brownlie and Fordyce when Jacobs kicks the ball. He reacts and runs past both of them to get on it, as they stand and watch. As I said, Martin is moving to his left. If he anticipates anything, its the ball coming to his left side. Jacobs, though, hooks it to his right into no mans land.
None of the four involved come out of this well
I assume that he trusted his 'keeper to come for it. Looking at the angle from behind the goal, I really can't get my head around Martin not seeing what's going to happen. Even if he goes to the edge of the box, the worst thing that happens is the ball doesn't come back and he just hops back to his box. Say what you like about Robinson, but he'd have read that. Aye, he'd probably have tried to skin Doran after it but he'd have got to it nonetheless.

Doran definitely sees it coming. He's making his run before Jacobs even kicks the ball. Watch from around 1:24 on the video and you'll see he anticipates what's coming. Sadly Martin never.

46 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I assume that he trusted his 'keeper to come for it. Looking at the angle from behind the goal, I really can't get my head around Martin not seeing what's going to happen. Even if he goes to the edge of the box, the worst thing that happens is the ball doesn't come back and he just hops back to his box. Say what you like about Robinson, but he'd have read that. Aye, he'd probably have tried to skin Doran after it but he'd have got to it nonetheless.

Doran definitely sees it coming. He's making his run before Jacobs even kicks the ball. Watch from around 1:24 on the video and you'll see he anticipates what's coming. Sadly Martin never.

Its not like you to be so deliberately obtuse. If Jacobs is seriously attempting a back pass from that position he needs shot.

Dorran is running towards goal because Jacobs is heading that way. He doesnt really accelerate towards the ball until after Jacobs kicks it. 

Its not like you to be so deliberately obtuse. If Jacobs is seriously attempting a back pass from that position he needs shot.
Dorran is running towards goal because Jacobs is heading that way. He doesnt really accelerate towards the ball until after Jacobs kicks it. 
I've looked and looked and I'm still seeing Doran starting his run before Jacobs kicks in. We'll agree to disagree because I'm not budging on that stance.

We've seen Jacobs attempt much worse tbf [emoji38]

18 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I've looked and looked and I'm still seeing Doran starting his run before Jacobs kicks in. We'll agree to disagree because I'm not budging on that stance.

We've seen Jacobs attempt much worse tbf emoji38.png

Fair enough, we can agree to disagree. I still think Dorran is running in that direction because all the ICT players are. I dont think he really reads that Jacobs is going to play the ball where he did. As I said, I think Martin is expecting the ball to be played to his left, where the space is. He wrong footed by the ball going the other way and Jacobs, basically, plays it into the only place where Dorran has any chance of getting to it.

We have seen Jacobs attempt worse - that was kind of my point. Not only does he attempt a very risky back pass but he plays it into completely the wrong are and under-hits it. Despite all this, its Martins fault

A pretty big chunk of our side can be blamed:

Jacobs' first touch put him under pressure and led to the dodgy pass back.

Brownlie picked a strange moment to enjoy a quiet nap.

Martin elected to run sideways for a bit before moving towards the ball, like an uncertain steamroller.

Fordyce decided it would be best to check his run back, just as the ball gently reached the line.

It was a real, team goal - Naysmith can be proud.

Archived