Queens v Inverness

Was the leather jacketed scrapping guy with them? I’d have thought he’d have been in the cells.
I only recognised the guy with shades who was in front of me at the game. He did say one guy had been arrested when they left but given he was absolutely sloshed I'm taking anything he said with a pinch of salt.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, RiG said:

Easy win yesterday. Despite Queens being on a bad run I still expected us to stumble a bit here so it was a nice surprise to see us easily secure the three points save for a pretty shoddy opening to the second half. 

Very well taken goal by Doran to open the scoring. I see some reports have stated it was a poor backpass but I thought it was an overhit through ball from one of our players (clearly I wasn't paying that much attention). Anyway, Doran did well to get onto it and round the keeper before finishing well from a pretty tight angle. I thought he might have taken it too wide but he did well to squeeze it in (oo er). 

Mckay got the second when he met a corner and found the net via a big deflection off his marker. We should have had a third goal when Polworth saw his shot turned wide and then from his corner McCart (I think) headed against the bar and White shot over.

Queens seldom threatened but they were much better after the break and we were fortunate not to concede at least one goal with Ridgers denying Dobbie, Dykes and then Dobbie again as we struggled to get going again. Gone was the nice crisp passing play replaced by hurried balls lumped forward to no one in particular. Only Doran seemed to have the intelligence to try and get the ball down on the ground and start knocking it about again. Once we did that we started to gain a foothold and should have extended our lead when Welsh and the Polworth again shot wide from distance.

Great performances from the likes of Doran, Polworth, McCart and Tremarco. Ridgers didn't have too much to do in the first half but made three terrific saves to maintain our two goal lead in the second. Had one of those gone in who knows what might have happened.

Those fans up from Stoke were interesting to say the least. One seemed to have had an altercation with one of the young lads on the turnstiles and got chucked out, followed possibly by another one. Then some other guy came back in demanding everyone leave and got into a fight with an ICT fan who told him to f**k off. Then they all left. I bumped into them at the station heading back to Carlisle but fortunately managed to hide from them on the train and at the changeover at Carlisle. Strange mob.

I dont think it was a back pass but it was definitely Jacobs who played the ball towards his own goal after losing possession. I think he was just trying to boot it anywhere to stop the Inverness player breaking forward rather than aim it anywhere. Although with Jacobs, lately, its hard to tell <_<

I only recognised the guy with shades who was in front of me at the game. He did say one guy had been arrested when they left but given he was absolutely sloshed I'm taking anything he said with a pinch of salt.

One of the stewards was saying the guy who was scrapping got arrested outside as he spat on one of them as they were taking him out.

This unruly fan behaviour must be stamped out and examples made.  In this instance,  and not being biased in the slightest,  I think the result should be reversed and the points awarded to Queens with Inverness having  no right of appeal. 

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

Any highlights from either club yet?

Queens definitely had a camerman there but I think their fans have said before it takes a while to get the highlights out due to lack of resource. Apparently we had someone there too but I think it was just the one camera this time.

1 hour ago, RiG said:

Queens definitely had a camerman there but I think their fans have said before it takes a while to get the highlights out due to lack of resource. Apparently we had someone there too but I think it was just the one camera this time.

We usually have (very good)  highlights up within 2 or 3 days of the game but often depends on MOTD Wannabe fitting it in around his proper job as he does the Queens' camerawork  voluntarily.  

19 hours ago, RiG said:

Very well taken goal by Doran to open the scoring. I see some reports have stated it was a poor backpass but I thought it was an overhit through ball from one of our players 

8 hours ago, Mr X said:

I dont think it was a back pass but it was definitely Jacobs who played the ball towards his own goal after losing possession. I think he was just trying to boot it anywhere to stop the Inverness player breaking forward rather than aim it anywhere. Although with Jacobs, lately, its hard to tell <_<

It was definitely Jacobs and I'm pretty certain it was intended as a back pass. Looked to me like he was looking for a pass but had nothing on so turned and almost got caught, panicked and sent the ball back. This would normally have been seen as the safe option, but for some reason Martin hesitated and we know the rest.

19 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Cheers @MOTD Wannabee  . Maybe it’s just my shite memory but I thought we had a good chance about a minute after the first goal.

You're welcome.

The chance you ask about is included - just after the opener, Donaldson charged forward and sent a pass into the box which was just too much for Polworth.

It was definitely Jacobs and I'm pretty certain it was intended as a back pass. Looked to me like he was looking for a pass but had nothing on so turned and almost got caught, panicked and sent the ball back. This would normally have been seen as the safe option, but for some reason Martin hesitated and we know the rest.

Have to say I’m no fan of Martin but that’s just a calamitous hit from an off balance Jacobs into nowhere. Wouldn’t blame the keeper for that in the slightest. No way he should have been hitting it there.

Have to say I’m no fan of Martin but that’s just a calamitous hit from an off balance Jacobs into nowhere. Wouldn’t blame the keeper for that in the slightest. No way he should have been hitting it there.
Martin took a step back before going forward. I've no idea why he didn't think Jacobs would 'go home' with it given it was his easiest option. FWIW, looking at the highlights I think Jacobs is fouled. I never thought so at the time but the Caley player doesn't get any of the ball and you wonder if Jacobs goes down there the ref gives the foul.

Looking at highlights a couple of points

Could Brownlie have done better at first when he seemed to hesitate when running back to goal line

Martin looked injured as his reactions were slow at second goal and again when ball was header back across goal for disallowed goal. Also later when attacker clattered him at far post after ball had gone past the post.

We had more chances in first half than I remember - almost as many as Inverness.

the save by Inverness keeper at end of first half when he didn't catch the ball then it hit his shoulder and landed in his arms. That would have gone in if we were having any luck and I'm sure it would have had it been our keeper

4 hours ago, steakpiegravy said:

Yeah after seeing the highlights I think my initial defence of Jacobs was too kind, but I still think that sending it "home" was the safest way to keep possession once he'd been caught. He could have hoofed it away to nowhere I suppose. Martin still shares the blame though in my opinion. The camera behind the goals seems to show Martin running parallel to the goal line after Jacobs has played it back, allowing Doran to get to the ball first. If he'd have ran forward instead I think Martin would have got there first.

2 hours ago, queenslad said:

Could Brownlie have done better at first when he seemed to hesitate when running back to goal line

I definitely think so yes. Seems almost like he got his studs caught in the turf somehow

I think Martin was clear favourite for the ball sent back by Jacobs.  At the time I'd assumed his starting position must have been well back near the goal line to be beaten to the ball, but the highlights suggest otherwise.  I think he just lacked alertness and then speed.  

Obviously, the situation only arose at all because Jacobs had got into a pickle, but I still don't think it should have presented such danger.  The defender on the line (I'd thought it was Fordyce) should also have done better.

12 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
13 hours ago, steakpiegravy said:

Martin took a step back before going forward. I've no idea why he didn't think Jacobs would 'go home' with it given it was his easiest option. FWIW, looking at the highlights I think Jacobs is fouled. I never thought so at the time but the Caley player doesn't get any of the ball and you wonder if Jacobs goes down there the ref gives the foul.

Its funny  - we're both clearly watching the same video but seeing different things. Martin is moving towards the centre of his goal prior to Jacobs hitting it because he's seen Jacobs is in trouble. Jacobs didn't "go home" with it - it was an aimless kick from an off balance position to the edge of the box. No way would the keeper have been expecting that. Yeah hes not the fastest mover but its not a pass back its an aimless punt and with that two attackers between yourself and the keeper (not that I think Jacobs was in any position to see that because he's looking at the ground when he hits it) you shouldn't be considering a pass back anyway. I do think Jacobs was fouled although its his bad first touch that puts him in the difficult position. Incidentally if you think Martin should have got to the ball first  what do you think about how Fordyce and more to the point Brownlie reacted to the situation. Brownlie looks well off the pace mentally and physically IMO and Fordyce covers about 30 yards to Brownlie's unhurried 10 or so in trying to cover..

14 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
15 hours ago, steakpiegravy said:

You've commented on Jacobs passing a lot this season. You honestly think he meant to pass that where he did?

1 hour ago, palmy_cammy said:

So what we're saying is that Jacobs, Martin and Brownlie made an arse of things that cost us the game?  Well I fucking never.

You can say that if you want, but it was Fordyce on the line.

1 hour ago, steakpiegravy said:

Its funny  - we're both clearly watching the same video but seeing different things. Martin is moving towards the centre of his goal prior to Jacobs hitting it because he's seen Jacobs is in trouble. Jacobs didn't "go home" with it - it was an aimless kick from an off balance position to the edge of the box. No way would the keeper have been expecting that. Yeah hes not the fastest mover but its not a pass back its an aimless punt and with that two attackers between yourself and the keeper (not that I think Jacobs was in any position to see that because he's looking at the ground when he hits it) you shouldn't be considering a pass back anyway. I do think Jacobs was fouled although its his bad first touch that puts him in the difficult position. Incidentally if you think Martin should have got to the ball first  what do you think about how Fordyce and more to the point Brownlie reacted to the situation. Brownlie looks well off the pace mentally and physically IMO and Fordyce covers about 30 yards to Brownlie's unhurried 10 or so in trying to cover..

Pretty much this. Martin doesnt make a great job of dealing with it but its by no means the massive blunder it looked at the time or being made out by some now. 

I thought/and think it's blatantly obvious Jacobs is hitting that back. Given he was falling, he's obviously made some effort to get enough power on it to go back. Brownlie clearly thinks the same as he looks happy to let it go back as well. Of the two, only Fordyce takes any heat from me on that as he doesn't track Doran. He then gets his feet badly wrong when it goes past him. One other thing I will say in Martin's defence; if you look at the ball, it takes a bounce that gives Doran the advantage right at the end whereas on a decent surface it would almost certainly have went in Martin's favour.

I can't recall Jacobs trying to blame anyone else when he's made a mess of things, so him looking at Martin (along with Brownlie and Fordyce) would also for me suggest Jacobs had completely intended on sending the ball back. Doran clearly thought the same as he was on it before Jacobs hit the ball. If Doran knew where that ball was going to be played it's hard not to be frustrated that our goalkeeper couldn't see it coming.

Archived