Jump to content

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Just to kind of echo what I think I said at this time last year, it remains a struggle putting shows together, and even more so this year. With 5 of the guys putting in the hours and research to turn out a TV show on Wednesdays, it's left to the rest of us to try and pick up the slack with regular shows.

Three of us now have kids, lockdown more or less remains in place and life gets in the way, essentially, so we've from time to time got to turn to other voices. Some you'll like, some you'll maybe not, but as folk have said, that's basically how we are with our regular collection of miscreants anyway.

The last few months have been great for getting us all involved in all sorts of nonsense (I often wonder if folk enjoyed the Culture pods as much as we enjoyed making them but I doubt it because I had SO MUCH FUN), but the reality of losing half our number for weeks at a time makes everything more difficult scheduling-wise. I'd never say it's a bad thing to have different folk on, as I always feel we get something from it in one way or another, but I appreciate it is a bit jarring when regular listeners are anticipating a certain type of tone and coverage which maybe doesn't arrive.

The culture pods were absolutely class. I remembered them being done a few years ago, sure there were a few done entirely on music which was class (I'd imagine more suited to the Patreon than the main show, of course).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

The culture pods were absolutely class. I remembered them being done a few years ago, sure there were a few done entirely on music which was class (I'd imagine more suited to the Patreon than the main show, of course).

Thanks man. Getting up on a Saturday morning to see Craig G Telfer in his dressing gown never felt so good. The music ones were an absolute carry-on, right enough. Mainly Telfer and Shaughan, from memory? Although I think that may have been when an unnamed member announced "Which Bitch" to be one of the greatest Scottish albums ever (possible exaggeration here), so maybe it's best they remain in the vault.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Just to kind of echo what I think I said at this time last year, it remains a struggle putting shows together, and even more so this year. With 5 of the guys putting in the hours and research to turn out a TV show on Wednesdays, it's left to the rest of us to try and pick up the slack with regular shows.

Three of us now have kids, lockdown more or less remains in place and life gets in the way, essentially, so we've from time to time got to turn to other voices. Some you'll like, some you'll maybe not, but as folk have said, that's basically how we are with our regular collection of miscreants anyway.

The last few months have been great for getting us all involved in all sorts of nonsense (I often wonder if folk enjoyed the Culture pods as much as we enjoyed making them but I doubt it because I had SO MUCH FUN), but the reality of losing half our number for weeks at a time makes everything more difficult scheduling-wise. I'd never say it's a bad thing to have different folk on, as I always feel we get something from it in one way or another, but I appreciate it is a bit jarring when regular listeners are anticipating a certain type of tone and coverage which maybe doesn't arrive.

That all makes sense, as I said I didn't want to be a c**t about it, will still be listening each week. Was just a bit disappointing and came away from what I normally tune in for from the pod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Just to kind of echo what I think I said at this time last year, it remains a struggle putting shows together, and even more so this year. With 5 of the guys putting in the hours and research to turn out a TV show on Wednesdays, it's left to the rest of us to try and pick up the slack with regular shows.

Three of us now have kids, lockdown more or less remains in place and life gets in the way, essentially, so we've from time to time got to turn to other voices. Some you'll like, some you'll maybe not, but as folk have said, that's basically how we are with our regular collection of miscreants anyway.

The last few months have been great for getting us all involved in all sorts of nonsense (I often wonder if folk enjoyed the Culture pods as much as we enjoyed making them but I doubt it because I had SO MUCH FUN), but the reality of losing half our number for weeks at a time makes everything more difficult scheduling-wise. I'd never say it's a bad thing to have different folk on, as I always feel we get something from it in one way or another, but I appreciate it is a bit jarring when regular listeners are anticipating a certain type of tone and coverage which maybe doesn't arrive.

another +1 on really enjoying the Culture pods.

I'm wary of coming across like a complete ingrate; it's a free podcast that people are giving up their time to produce and no one's forcing me to listen etc but the first section of Monday's pod is the first I've swerved like that - either way a single hour of a single podcast from hundreds published is a pretty good ratio all told.

The Patreon content this year has been great value even before you factor in everything having shut down so cheers for that as well.

Edited by capt_oats

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Possibly in the minority that I'm finding the new format of the Monday podcast a decrease in quality from before. I'm finding that rather than being first in the queue to listen to when it downloads that it's put further down in the pecking order.

My thoughts are that the length of it has become too much and since it's not 3 or 4 contributors for a game that most of half an hour or so can be one person talking about a game or two - it just doesn't hold the same interest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Just to kind of echo what I think I said at this time last year, it remains a struggle putting shows together, and even more so this year. With 5 of the guys putting in the hours and research to turn out a TV show on Wednesdays, it's left to the rest of us to try and pick up the slack with regular shows.

Three of us now have kids, lockdown more or less remains in place and life gets in the way, essentially, so we've from time to time got to turn to other voices. Some you'll like, some you'll maybe not, but as folk have said, that's basically how we are with our regular collection of miscreants anyway.

The last few months have been great for getting us all involved in all sorts of nonsense (I often wonder if folk enjoyed the Culture pods as much as we enjoyed making them but I doubt it because I had SO MUCH FUN), but the reality of losing half our number for weeks at a time makes everything more difficult scheduling-wise. I'd never say it's a bad thing to have different folk on, as I always feel we get something from it in one way or another, but I appreciate it is a bit jarring when regular listeners are anticipating a certain type of tone and coverage which maybe doesn't arrive.

The patreon stuff with best/worst signings has been my favourite, great content as always. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tony's big team most definitely found after gushing over Sevco for an hour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a top tier subscriber on both Heart & Hand, and the Terrace. Adam is one of the better podders on H & H, and thought he was a great person to have on the show a few weeks ago to discuss Itten and Roofe. Adam, Caroline and Jordan Campbell have all been good on Rangers centric pods recently.

He admits freely throughout the show he doesn't watch the other teams a lot, which is fine, but I tend to agree with the majority that guests with little interest outside their own team aren't great for the main show.

It just doesn't fit with the general tone and what you expect. 

I think because it's an OF fan, people are being more harsh - but there have been fans of non-OF clubs with the same attitude on the shows. Nothing against anyone who is an expert in their team, and views things through that prism, but a more well rounded view of the league, with a slice of partisan opinion, is what you usually get from the Terrace.

Edited by andy-500

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The culture podcasts are superb as are the patreon Scotland quizzes and transfer window / season reviews that have been done.

More of them would be great and probably easy to bulk do and drip out as the transfer reviews seem to be.

I also suggest an annual review of the Motherwell vs Rangers playoff matches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, accies1874 said:

On a positive note, I do actually like the new format for the Monday show as it allows for a deeper dive into games that wouldn't normally get it due to a lack of television coverage. 

I have to disagree.  I preferred the old format.  A couple of years ago the episodes were roughly an hour every time then last season they tried to knock them down to 40 mins because an hour was too long.  I know I could put it on double speed and/or skip bits of it but I did quite enjoy listening to the chat about teams and games I haven't seen.  Feels too much of a slog now - especially two hours.

I do have to echo the calls to bring back the culture pods though...and Zooropa is a great album.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I still prefer the old format too, but I think the current one works better while we can't be in the same room. When there's three of you on a Zoom call it's hard to make the conversation flow and you also often end up talking over the top of each other unless it's very structured. The other advantage of the current format is that the guests can generally spend more time focusing on the games they're discussing, because you each end up only having to cover a couple of games and therefore you can actually spend more time on them rather than trying to focus on all six. For example, this weekend I was able to watch St Johnstone v Dundee United in its entirety (unfortunately) whereas normally I'd probably have spent five minutes on it.

The stuff about the time is fair enough, I find them a bit long too. The problem is that it's really difficult to get through the games without getting carried away. I hosted one of them a few weeks ago and I think it ended up being about 90 minutes or so, even though it didn't seem like I spent very long at all with any of the guests. Fowler is a bit better at keeping a lid on things, but even his have been a bit longer than normal. When (if?!) we ever get back to some form of normality I'm pretty sure we'll return to the old way.

I'm going to be honest, when I saw Tony was hosting this weekend I thought it was going to end up being about five hours long - I've never known a guy who is so relentlessly enthusiastic when talking about football. The running order for these shows is nothing to do with the games and more to do with who is available when - Fowler allocates us the games and then whoever is hosting sorts out the times. The only reason Adam was on first was because he was the only person who could do Sunday night, while Thom and I could do earlier and later on Monday respectively. I have absolutely no doubt that if I'd been on first then Tony and I would have spent about 40 minutes talking about Killie v Hibs and another 20 on the Saints v United game, and the others would have needed to be cut short as a result.

I agree with the comment above that the Old Firm fans who contribute occasionally are judged much more harshly than anyone else. For example, I'm sure I've been guilty of bringing everything back to Killie in the way that he did with Rangers, but nobody is nearly as bothered about that. I suppose that's reasonable enough though, we hear enough Old Firm coverage elsewhere so it's natural to be fed up of it. As @thisGRAEME already pointed out though, it's hard to put a line-up together for the podcast when the TV show is consuming every waking moment of five of the regular contributors. That means we occasionally have shows where we need to bring someone else in, and it makes sense to look at people who have experience in podcasts or other broadcasting and who we know are going to be reliable. Given the make-up of the country, that inevitably leads to sometimes having Old Firm fans on. I listened to Monday's show earlier and I thought Adam was pretty good, he provided good analysis on the two games even if it was naturally viewed a bit through a Rangers prism.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a big fan of the TV show and the podcast, even to the point of giving them a wee bit of money every month - and I don't really spend money.  TBF to them Tony is a decent host and he's pretty switched on regarding non-Hibs/Sevco/Celtic players, which was needed for this one because the Sevco guy didn't really have anything to say about Aberdeen.  The gushing over Sevco's routine home win did grate a wee bit but then there is always a bit of tilt towards discussing the teams that whoever is on the pod support, and that's kinda fair enough.  Nobody would expect a 60 minute podcast with exactly 5 minutes on each team - that would be stupid - but it was probably a bit less balanced than normal this time.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MP_MFC said:

The culture podcasts are superb as are the patreon Scotland quizzes and transfer window / season reviews that have been done.

More of them would be great and probably easy to bulk do and drip out as the transfer reviews seem to be.

I also suggest an annual review of the Motherwell vs Rangers playoff matches.

Are the cultural podcasts the To View from the Lockdown episodes? I enjoyed them (other than the computer game guff).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was delighted when I seen it was 2 hours! I’m working from home though so can chuck it on while moving my mouse to stay “online”. The new format seems about the best solution possible. To try and get more folk all discussing the same thing on a video call would be a nightmare.
Very much +1 for the return of the “culture” pods. Or just get Telfer to do a solo pod when he goes on his mad “I’ve listened to every Abba song and here I’ll rate the top 10, join me” escapades. A one off special with Telfer speaking to old man Spence about his Twitter bios seems an obvious admission so far as well. Shaughan’s dating stories were always fun too...still laugh thinking about that drunk lassy and the random old man situation.
The wee pods with Craig Cairns and Iwelumo are decent, Iwelumo’s enthusiasm is infectious

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

I was delighted when I seen it was 2 hours! I’m working from home though so can chuck it on while moving my mouse to stay “online”. The new format seems about the best solution possible. To try and get more folk all discussing the same thing on a video call would be a nightmare.
Very much +1 for the return of the “culture” pods. Or just get Telfer to do a solo pod when he goes on his mad “I’ve listened to every Abba song and here I’ll rate the top 10, join me” escapades. A one off special with Telfer speaking to old man Spence about his Twitter bios seems an obvious admission so far as well. Shaughan’s dating stories were always fun too...still laugh thinking about that drunk lassy and the random old man situation.
The wee pods with Craig Cairns and Iwelumo are decent, Iwelumo’s enthusiasm is infectious

Are you a contact tracer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Are you a contact tracer?

No, I’ve heard some of them have actually made calls...f**k that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suppose now's as good a time as any to ask about something that consumed my mind throughout lockdown: why was it called To View from the Lockdown?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...