A View From The Terrace.

I'm a top tier subscriber on both Heart & Hand, and the Terrace. Adam is one of the better podders on H & H, and thought he was a great person to have on the show a few weeks ago to discuss Itten and Roofe. Adam, Caroline and Jordan Campbell have all been good on Rangers centric pods recently.

He admits freely throughout the show he doesn't watch the other teams a lot, which is fine, but I tend to agree with the majority that guests with little interest outside their own team aren't great for the main show.

It just doesn't fit with the general tone and what you expect. 

I think because it's an OF fan, people are being more harsh - but there have been fans of non-OF clubs with the same attitude on the shows. Nothing against anyone who is an expert in their team, and views things through that prism, but a more well rounded view of the league, with a slice of partisan opinion, is what you usually get from the Terrace.

Edited by andy-500

The culture podcasts are superb as are the patreon Scotland quizzes and transfer window / season reviews that have been done.

More of them would be great and probably easy to bulk do and drip out as the transfer reviews seem to be.

I also suggest an annual review of the Motherwell vs Rangers playoff matches.

10 hours ago, accies1874 said:

On a positive note, I do actually like the new format for the Monday show as it allows for a deeper dive into games that wouldn't normally get it due to a lack of television coverage. 

I have to disagree.  I preferred the old format.  A couple of years ago the episodes were roughly an hour every time then last season they tried to knock them down to 40 mins because an hour was too long.  I know I could put it on double speed and/or skip bits of it but I did quite enjoy listening to the chat about teams and games I haven't seen.  Feels too much of a slog now - especially two hours.

I do have to echo the calls to bring back the culture pods though...and Zooropa is a great album.

I think I still prefer the old format too, but I think the current one works better while we can't be in the same room. When there's three of you on a Zoom call it's hard to make the conversation flow and you also often end up talking over the top of each other unless it's very structured. The other advantage of the current format is that the guests can generally spend more time focusing on the games they're discussing, because you each end up only having to cover a couple of games and therefore you can actually spend more time on them rather than trying to focus on all six. For example, this weekend I was able to watch St Johnstone v Dundee United in its entirety (unfortunately) whereas normally I'd probably have spent five minutes on it.

The stuff about the time is fair enough, I find them a bit long too. The problem is that it's really difficult to get through the games without getting carried away. I hosted one of them a few weeks ago and I think it ended up being about 90 minutes or so, even though it didn't seem like I spent very long at all with any of the guests. Fowler is a bit better at keeping a lid on things, but even his have been a bit longer than normal. When (if?!) we ever get back to some form of normality I'm pretty sure we'll return to the old way.

I'm going to be honest, when I saw Tony was hosting this weekend I thought it was going to end up being about five hours long - I've never known a guy who is so relentlessly enthusiastic when talking about football. The running order for these shows is nothing to do with the games and more to do with who is available when - Fowler allocates us the games and then whoever is hosting sorts out the times. The only reason Adam was on first was because he was the only person who could do Sunday night, while Thom and I could do earlier and later on Monday respectively. I have absolutely no doubt that if I'd been on first then Tony and I would have spent about 40 minutes talking about Killie v Hibs and another 20 on the Saints v United game, and the others would have needed to be cut short as a result.

I agree with the comment above that the Old Firm fans who contribute occasionally are judged much more harshly than anyone else. For example, I'm sure I've been guilty of bringing everything back to Killie in the way that he did with Rangers, but nobody is nearly as bothered about that. I suppose that's reasonable enough though, we hear enough Old Firm coverage elsewhere so it's natural to be fed up of it. As @thisGRAEME already pointed out though, it's hard to put a line-up together for the podcast when the TV show is consuming every waking moment of five of the regular contributors. That means we occasionally have shows where we need to bring someone else in, and it makes sense to look at people who have experience in podcasts or other broadcasting and who we know are going to be reliable. Given the make-up of the country, that inevitably leads to sometimes having Old Firm fans on. I listened to Monday's show earlier and I thought Adam was pretty good, he provided good analysis on the two games even if it was naturally viewed a bit through a Rangers prism.

I'm a big fan of the TV show and the podcast, even to the point of giving them a wee bit of money every month - and I don't really spend money.  TBF to them Tony is a decent host and he's pretty switched on regarding non-Hibs/Sevco/Celtic players, which was needed for this one because the Sevco guy didn't really have anything to say about Aberdeen.  The gushing over Sevco's routine home win did grate a wee bit but then there is always a bit of tilt towards discussing the teams that whoever is on the pod support, and that's kinda fair enough.  Nobody would expect a 60 minute podcast with exactly 5 minutes on each team - that would be stupid - but it was probably a bit less balanced than normal this time.   

1 hour ago, MP_MFC said:

The culture podcasts are superb as are the patreon Scotland quizzes and transfer window / season reviews that have been done.

More of them would be great and probably easy to bulk do and drip out as the transfer reviews seem to be.

I also suggest an annual review of the Motherwell vs Rangers playoff matches.

Are the cultural podcasts the To View from the Lockdown episodes? I enjoyed them (other than the computer game guff).

I was delighted when I seen it was 2 hours! I’m working from home though so can chuck it on while moving my mouse to stay “online”. The new format seems about the best solution possible. To try and get more folk all discussing the same thing on a video call would be a nightmare.
Very much +1 for the return of the “culture” pods. Or just get Telfer to do a solo pod when he goes on his mad “I’ve listened to every Abba song and here I’ll rate the top 10, join me” escapades. A one off special with Telfer speaking to old man Spence about his Twitter bios seems an obvious admission so far as well. Shaughan’s dating stories were always fun too...still laugh thinking about that drunk lassy and the random old man situation.
The wee pods with Craig Cairns and Iwelumo are decent, Iwelumo’s enthusiasm is infectious

9 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

I was delighted when I seen it was 2 hours! I’m working from home though so can chuck it on while moving my mouse to stay “online”. The new format seems about the best solution possible. To try and get more folk all discussing the same thing on a video call would be a nightmare.
Very much +1 for the return of the “culture” pods. Or just get Telfer to do a solo pod when he goes on his mad “I’ve listened to every Abba song and here I’ll rate the top 10, join me” escapades. A one off special with Telfer speaking to old man Spence about his Twitter bios seems an obvious admission so far as well. Shaughan’s dating stories were always fun too...still laugh thinking about that drunk lassy and the random old man situation.
The wee pods with Craig Cairns and Iwelumo are decent, Iwelumo’s enthusiasm is infectious

Are you a contact tracer?

41 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

I suppose now's as good a time as any to ask about something that consumed my mind throughout lockdown: why was it called To View from the Lockdown?

I can't remember who came up with it, but I assume it was a play on the title of a popular BBC Scotland football show (watch it this Friday night at 10:30pm), where we were recommending things to view (and listen to) during the lockdown.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I can't remember who came up with it, but I assume it was a play on the title of a popular BBC Scotland football show (watch it this Friday night at 10:30pm), where we were recommending things to view (and listen to) during the lockdown.

Also now on the iPlayer for 30 days.

Appreciate everyone's comments, btw. It is plenty helpful to find out what folk like and don't like. Some stuff we can change, some we can't, but we'll keep them in mind.

I honestly just had it in my head that it was initially supposed to be called A/The View from the Lockdown and someone had made a mistake in the first week which you ran with. I feel stupid now.

4 hours ago, accies1874 said:
11 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I honestly just had it in my head that it was initially supposed to be called A/The View from the Lockdown and someone had made a mistake in the first week which you ran with. I feel stupid now.

This might be considered too close to the title of a popular BBC Scotland football show (watch it this Friday night at 10:30pm and now on the iPlayer for 30 days) for a completely unaffiliated podcast to use without getting into trouble.

Can only echo what a few others have said about the old firm segments being a bit bloated. I found the stuff about Ferguson particularly disappointing to listen to as some of the stuff being said about him being "desperate to go" and how "Rangers should break the bank to get him" seemed straight out of the Daily Record type gossip.

Having said that I'm also extremely appreciative of all the work the guys do and content they put out and I'm also a Patreon subscriber. I was working away for a large portion of the year earlier and just having a bunch of Scottish guys yapping about football was extremely therapeutic at times.

This is not a slight on Tony as I've never met the guy but his laugh always reminds me of the George Bush imitation on 2DTV. 

There was a lot of new energy in the podcast this week, and some of it was just so rainbow rhythms

And some of it was just so not rainbow rhythms.

That Stevie fella who supports Celtic annoys me as well. I like hearing from sensible OF fans (there used to be a nae bad Rangers fella who was pretty reasonable back in the day) but its pretty torturous listening to them try to talk about smaller teams when its obvious they hold such disdain for their players. The Ferguson chat was pretty rotten - if you dont think hes good enough for  your team, why on earth would you want Rangers to buy him?! 

Anyway, enough negativity about the only podcast worth listening to. Abdy else is smashing and the content has really helped these last few months. I like the new Monday format and Ive been enjoying the quarterly reports on the pat-re-on. 💛💛