On 17/10/2020 at 20:39, Francesc Fabregas said:

John Hughes' reputation was greatly tarnished after the Raith Rovers debacle and it's telling he hasn't worked in management since, no matter how many times he's given the platform to grandstand to anyone who'll listen.

Remember when they had a Scottish Cup tie on the BBC between Buckie and Bonnyrigg and it became free advertising for John Hughes. What a wild halftime analysis that was.

1 minute ago, ArabAuslander said:

Remember when they had a Scottish Cup tie on the BBC between Buckie and Bonnyrigg and it became free advertising for John Hughes. What a wild halftime analysis that was.

Aye, I remember watching that and couldn't believe it became a platform for Hughes to sell himself; needless to say, it didn't work!

Hughes was on a podcast earlier in the year where the host kicked off by asking about his time at Raith Rovers, but framed the question with something like: "I think you're a brilliant manager and I can't believe you're out of work - do you think what happened at Stark's Park has played a part in that? People forget you took charge of the club very late on!" The host then allowed Hughes, unchallenged, to lay the blame with the players and the board, saying he hadn't done his "due diligence" and that he joined too late into the season to do anything about their poor form.

Just hopeless stuff. If anyone wants to hear more stuff about Hughes' time in Kirkcaldy, I recorded a podcast with Bobby Barr in 2018 about it, might be worth your time!

Good to see the show back. Any word on the Pele podcasts coming back FF? They are excellent.

7 hours ago, RawB93 said:

I don't think the idea that we should listen to and give respect to others opinions is a bad thing, no matter how wrong they may seem.

But we're talking about professional footballers having an opinion on football. I'm not sure why you've tried drawing parallels the way you have.

Not sure why you are taking such a stance on this. Arbroath are going through quite a decent spell at the moment and that would suggest that the players that Dick Campbell has at the club are accepting of his methods, and going out on a matchday and implementing whatever he does/says at training sessions and in the dressing room. There is no template for what a football manager has to do to bring success to a club.

Aye, I remember watching that and couldn't believe it became a platform for Hughes to sell himself; needless to say, it didn't work!
Hughes was on a podcast earlier in the year where the host kicked off by asking about his time at Raith Rovers, but framed the question with something like: "I think you're a brilliant manager and I can't believe you're out of work - do you think what happened at Stark's Park has played a part in that? People forget you took charge of the club very late on!" The host then allowed Hughes, unchallenged, to lay the blame with the players and the board, saying he hadn't done his "due diligence" and that he joined too late into the season to do anything about their poor form.
Just hopeless stuff. If anyone wants to hear more stuff about Hughes' time in Kirkcaldy, I recorded a podcast with Bobby Barr in 2018 about it, might be worth your time!

I think it may have been Linlithgow v Falkirk in the cup last season that was on BBC, Miller and McCracken must have been in caretaker charge at that point and a thickly scarfed and bunneted Yogi conducted an impromptu job interview. Think it was at that point he announced he was ready to return to football and had the fire back in his belly, but he wouldnt just be taking any job. Which, has proved to be true in fairness.

Haven't read the full conversation, but I pass Arbroath training during the week walking my dog and Campbell has no issue being shouted back at when players are doing a session.

Player gives away the ball, Campbell/coach shouts some form of (not genuinely meant) abuse at them, player fires back a retort, both just laugh it off; type thing.

The manager knows his overall plan.

Others piping up with their own "opinion" just gets in the way causing confusion. And when things are frantic in any job or pursuit confusion is less than helpful.

I will say that the "robust" approach to discipline only works if everyone has a great deal of respect and trust i the manager

On 16/10/2020 at 23:43, iamnotgarybollan said:

People on Twitter not liking the programme are also the same people tagging Si Ferry

omg why is open goal not on tv some chat in the dressing room lads am i right slaney

Don’t want to turn this into another Open Goal v Terrace discussion but personally would rather listen to Ferry and other ex pros than some wee albino dweeb and his pals with their brutal fashion. The segments are genuinely really good on A View From the Terrace though. More segments, less albino IMO.

50 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Don’t want to turn this into another Open Goal v Terrace discussion but personally would rather listen to Ferry and other ex pros than some wee albino dweeb and his pals with their brutal fashion. The segments are genuinely really good on A View From the Terrace though. More segments, less albino IMO.

I can understand that.

But there's already been enough programs where old/current pros are on that talk about their time playing, dressing room banter etc. If that's what you prefer to listen to, fair play.

I don't think everything works all the time either but it's different and the guys on it aren't complete fuds, even if you don't agree with their perspective. Just record it or watch on iPlayer later and skip to the segments 

Edited by Zapp Brannigan

59 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

That's fair enough. But the clue is in the title of the Programme - it's not about Pros or ex-Pros, it's the miserable, grumpy, pessimistic, blind-to-reason people like us.

8 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Who is the albino? 

Joel, I'd assume. 

Brutal fashion is a strong statement too. I mean Telfer's jumpers are horrible, Joel's T shirts are questionable and Fowler like Hip Hop. 

I doubt any of them would have considered "fashion" in the sense it's been judged.

I canny go ex pros to be honest. Most are thick as shit.

Teller needs a haircut, it is possible even during lockdown

One of those lines that is great thanks to hindsight.

"I think it'll be a while before I see Hamilton and St Johnstone play a game that finishes 7-2."

I think 5-3 is pretty close.

Dick Campbell can be decent entertainment.  I quite like his post match interviews, usually, but I don't think he comes across great in interviews like Friday's one.  Feel like he plays up to the persona a bit, similarly in the Si Ferry interview too.

Always get the idea he's a good manager if you are a lower league side looking to build something, as long as he can recruit the players that suit his style.  Can't imagine he would do great going into an environment where some kind of instant reaction or success was needed.

His brother comes across as a very, very angry old man. 

Good to have it back. The podcast is always a great listen and the TV show is pretty good too. Offers something a bit unique.

I much prefer the albino and his fashionable pals to the wee ginger with ADHD and Lurch (Si Ferry actually seems alright).

3 hours ago, CALDERON said:

Always get the idea he's a good manager if you are a lower league side looking to build something, as long as he can recruit the players that suit his style.  . 

I think that’s key.  If you listen to lower league ramblings you get the impression guys who end up playing for him for more than a season or so learn to how to play along and figure out when it’s just dick being a bit of an oddball and when they need to take him more seriously.