I always thought it was weird that footballers have to call their boss gaffer.

That's a very kind reading.
He was rattling on about how if anyone pipes up, he goes through this infantile thing of asking if he'd asked for an opinion.  He's clearly pleased with it as a brilliant riposte.
Would you be fine if your boss treated you that way?

He was rattling on about how if anyone pipes up, he goes through this infantile thing of asking if he'd asked for an opinion.  He's clearly pleased with it as a brilliant riposte.

I'm absolutely going to start using it in the classroom.

35 minutes ago, pandarilla said:
39 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'm absolutely going to start using it in the classroom.

Good luck in your ensuing job search.

I also thought Campbell came across as a bit of a bellend in that interview. I’ll admit I have a preconceived view that he’s a bellend. This is mainly based on his antics over the years and due to him being involved with the Pars.

Campbell is old school and I think he works better when he has a squad he can convince that it’s them versus the world and to be a close group.

I don’t think he’d object to a senior player speaking to him behind the scenes but if some youngster spoke back in-front of the group he would go mental. 
I watched an interview with an ex Dunfermline physio who mentioned that he went mental at a young keeper who broke his arm in training because he was getting in the way of training. “Dick he’s broken his arm” “get him off the [email protected]@king pitch”

:lol:

I think he can be a bit of an arse at times but ultimately a decent guy, just very old fashioned methods. 

Let's not forget that Dick 'dick' Campbell is also an unreconstructed, Sash-singing bigot who let his big team die. But he wears a bunnet and is old so let's make him a cult hero of the Scottish game regardless.

1919238B-D2A6-48F5-8023-A45A2B4B9021.png.89c2e3c13021db68366fd0fd8c728b00.png

Every workplace has that rude, right leaning old duffer who "tells it like it is" and "what you see is what you get" but is secretly despised by most of the workforce.

I would imagine Campbell would be the same but thick footballers probably lap that up.

He'd be really popular with the likes of Simon Ferry, for example.

"He's a right character!"

Edited by Szamo's_Ammo

Interestingly, although a lot of folk are  giving it the “you’d only get away with that in football” line, I’m sure I heard that, away from football, Dick and his brother run a highly successful recruitment firm. I’m not saying he behaves the same way in that role but if he’s able to perform both roles that effectively, and switch mindset and behaviours accordingly, then he’s clearly not daft. Also, I know a few guys who played under him and they all loved him. 

Edited by Junior_Arab

Every workplace has that rude, right leaning old duffer who "tells it like it is" and "what you see is what you get" but is secretly despised by most of the workforce.
I would imagine Campbell would be the same but thick footballers probably lap that up.
He'd be really popular with the likes of Simon Ferry, for example.
"He's a right character!"
Wait, what?

Right - leaning? Surely you're not getting that from last night's interview?

Is dick a tory? Surely not.

I didn't think there was anything wrong with what Campbell was saying in his bit, especially during the training sessions.

I got the impression that the players respected but enjoyed it as they knew how he worked and spoke. It was endearing yet strict, although as an outsider I can see how it wouldn't look great. And it clearly works for Arbroath.

I've been in Campbells company a few times, him and his brother have a business in the town and he lives local, when I played at u19s etc the team I played for would rent the pitch out to Forfar for pre season aswell so seen him taking plenty sessions, always came across as brilliant tbh, the sessions that Forfar would do were an eye opener for me as a kid about just how far away I was from ever playing at that level. 

Of all the criticisms you could level at Dick, being shite to play for is probably the last one. Even a little bit of research would prove that is blatantly not true

Campbell seems like the kind of manager who is tough, but has the charm to keep you on side. Will be able take the more egotistical players down a peg and keep their respect.

Nothing wrong with having an authoritarian approach as a football manager imo as a lot will take a yard if given an inch. But of course there's a balance to be struck.

Edited by Zapp Brannigan

Glad to see the View back on and the segments were worth it. Disappointed  that now Shaughan has gone up a League there was no bank or bust in L1. Mind you like me they tend to get the predictions wrong. My lasting impression of Dick Campbell was the march on to the field at Somerset, which led to a bench suspension. He did turn Arbroath into a runaway L1 title so he clearly has something.

22 hours ago, pandarilla said:

He didn't say that.

He said he doesn't want to hear players opinions unless he asks for them. That's very different.

Right - so players are discouraged from choosing to express opinions then. I'd suggest the notion of expression is lost when there are times when you're told you can't/shouldn't offer one.

22 hours ago, pandarilla said:

I'm sure he's happy that they hold opinions, and he'll no doubt have a few trusted voices that he does listen to. But he's not wanting this whole 'everyone has an equal opinion' pish that can be seen from time to time - probably linked to social media.

:lol: Ah yes, that new craze of thinking everyone equally valid. Damn those online social justice warriors!

Ah yes, that new craze of thinking everyone equally valid. Damn those online social justice warriors!
There's definitely been a rise in this over the last 20 years - where folk think that because they have an opinion, that it's somehow valid ("yeah but that's my opinion"...to justify something that's patently wrong).

Social media has a lot of positives, but there's undoubtedly down sides.

Just now, pandarilla said:

There's definitely been a rise in this over the last 20 years - where folk think that because they have an opinion, that it's somehow valid ("yeah but that's my opinion"...to justify something that's patently wrong).

Social media has a lot of positives, but there's undoubtedly down sides.

I don't think the idea that we should listen to and give respect to others opinions is a bad thing, no matter how wrong they may seem.

But we're talking about professional footballers having an opinion on football. I'm not sure why you've tried drawing parallels the way you have.

I don't think the idea that we should listen to and give respect to others opinions is a bad thing, no matter how wrong they may seem.
But we're talking about professional footballers having an opinion on football. I'm not sure why you've tried drawing parallels the way you have.
Ok.