A View From The Terrace.

As an Ayr fan I especially enjoyed the Window segment last night. Kerr and McArdle both came across well and with what will be another rebuilding job in the summer I’m more confident they can replace the likes of Forrest, Kelly and Doohan.

13 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Just remember: when you make fun of someone's clothes, there's a person, a human being with feelings, underneath them.

So think on.

It’s constructive criticism. Hopefully you come back new and improved next episode.

12 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

That was pretty good.

The bit at the start when they reflected on events since they were last on, was strong.

Obviously a lot of the programme is based on the mildly amusing exchanges between the guys on it.  However, I'd actually like to see them genuinely discuss issues at times, giving their own opinions.  Instead, the games devised always require them to adopt given stances, rather than promote real ones that reflect outlooks.  While I understand the need for format, I think the blokes are all informed, smart and articulate enough to have actual arguments.

I get the fun of the rhetorical exercise bit, but it's usually set up to go in one direction, by the way one side is crudely characterised.  For example,  a legitimate view about capping numbers of foreign players, was deliberately harnessed to Brexit and portrayed as wildly xenophobic.  Similarly, a case about how the disparity of resources is exacerbated by allowing bigger benches and the fielding of more subs, was undermined by making it a call for no subs.

Genuine debate is therefore extinguished before it starts.   The best of the fanzines combined serious articles alongside irreverent piss taking.  This programme could do both too, but obviously saying so will invite the dear old 'boring' charge.

I often think that some of the resident bullies are exceptionally harsh in their dealings with you MT. But I'd almost nodded off by the end of paragraph 2 there. 

On 15/02/2020 at 16:49, D'Jaffo said:

As an Ayr fan I especially enjoyed the Window segment last night. Kerr and McArdle both came across well and with what will be another rebuilding job in the summer I’m more confident they can replace the likes of Forrest, Kelly and Doohan.

I didn't know Grado was the Ayr United assistant manager, ever day's a school day and all that. 

The best part of the shows are the segments away from the studio, the window bit was fantastic, really good insight. 

With them only having a limited run time the bits in the studio tend to feel rushed, obviously 4 tiers of Scottish football is a pretty wide scope, as such it feels sometimes like they touch on allot of subjects, without actually saying much of note about them. I noticed when they were doing the segment on the frankenstein footballer that the Raith Rovers fan went to say something with regards to Nisbet but it seemed to be cut out, happened a couple of times. It's a shame it hasn't got a longer run time like a Scottish Soccer Am, feel that'd allow them to talk better and rush it less. 

It is good, noticed it does seem to get a bit of stick on twitter. 

The best part of the shows are the segments away from the studio, the window bit was fantastic, really good insight. 
With them only having a limited run time the bits in the studio tend to feel rushed, obviously 4 tiers of Scottish football is a pretty wide scope, as such it feels sometimes like they touch on allot of subjects, without actually saying much of note about them. I noticed when they were doing the segment on the frankenstein footballer that the Raith Rovers fan went to say something with regards to Nisbet but it seemed to be cut out, happened a couple of times. It's a shame it hasn't got a longer run time like a Scottish Soccer Am, feel that'd allow them to talk better and rush it less. 
It is good, noticed it does seem to get a bit of stick on twitter. 
I prefer the in-studio stuff (agree that The Window was great though) but thought the news segment was really rushed - almost like that was the point but it was frustrating having good taking points constantly cut off with a joke.

Noticed there was a lot more swearing on it than possibly before, I think this is a good thing as it's probably more reflective of how people actually talk about football amongst friends. 

The music is definitely more miss than hit but I'm sure there will be a couple of bangers in between now and the end of the season. 

8 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

I didn't know Grado was the Ayr United assistant manager, ever day's a school day and all that. 

Grado was - bizarrely - on the second episode of the current series of Endeavour the other night. Played a wrestler right enough !

Only thing I'm not overly keen on is the songs at the end, part of the turn off of Soccer AM is it's, at times obsession with naff, skinny jeans wearing indie band wanks. And that's coming from someone who is actually a big music fan and has been in bands myself but, the over the hill SKY Saturday morning programme at times tries to be cool by featuring these bands and giving them airtime just for the sake of being seen to be cool, just a personal opinion, probably fuelled by the fact many of the artists featured have been pretty fucking gant, that morose version of 'Dignity' last week was brutal. 

I think the Last Minute Winners are good when it's something a bit quirky or inkeeping with the theme of the show- HYTTS, Heartbreak At Mount Florida, St Mirren themed death metal, Chris McQueer, COME ON LIVVVVVVVINGSTOOONNN etc. 

When it's just some c**t with an acoustic guitar mewling about hands across the divide and ending  bigotry or a vaguely competent cover of Dignity it is a bit Soccer AM aye.

Hopefully they've got Graeme Spiers and his piano lined up anyway.

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil