A View From The Terrace.

I caught up on it and just had to check the prediction League-so well done to Shaughan for an exciting last minute winner. The American guy having a go at various pronunciations of Airdrie (onians) was amusing. It's said to be a Gaelic word derived word which made me wonder how many other League sides have such names? (Inverness?)  Good show again and maybe they should be invited on to Sportscene for the Euros.

It's said to be a Gaelic word derived word which made me wonder how many other League sides have such names? (Inverness?) 

A fair few, no? Montrose, Dumbarton, Edinburgh, Stranraer, Brechin et cetera. The rest are Cumbric, Pictish, English or unknown.

2 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

A fair few, no? Montrose, Dumbarton, Edinburgh, Stranraer, Brechin et cetera. The rest are Cumbric, Pictish, English or unknown.

Thanks for the input to the debate.  I can see the Dumbarton origins but never thought of the others shown. Is "burgh" a Gaelic word? I was unsure if Gaelic had been part of the Stewartry etc so a wee bit of research will now be needed. Cheers.

51 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I caught up on it and just had to check the prediction League-so well done to Shaughan for an exciting last minute winner. The American guy having a go at various pronunciations of Airdrie (onians) was amusing. It's said to be a Gaelic word derived word which made me wonder how many other League sides have such names? (Inverness?)  Good show again and maybe they should be invited on to Sportscene for the Euros.

I know Kilmarnock comes from Cille Mearnaigh, and translates as place of or church of St. Marnock. Anywhere that has "Kil" at the start of the word comes from a church that someone ancient set up and can date back to Gaelic times.

Thanks for the input to the debate.  I can see the Dumbarton origins but never thought of the others shown. Is "burgh" a Gaelic word? I was unsure if Gaelic had been part of the Stewartry etc so a wee bit of research will now be needed. Cheers.
A few of the names are combinations of elements from different languages (e.g. Raith Rovers). Actually, on further investigation the Edin part is Cumbric, which makes sense.
Etymology can often be unclear and many we'll never know and can just make best guesses at. The similarity of Celtic languages also means it's often impossible to tell if it's Gaelic, Cumbric or Pictish origin, especially with those languages being quote similar, two of them being dead and the third having changed significantly since many of these toponyms arose.

Just now, DiegoDiego said:

A few of the names are combinations of elements from different languages (e.g. Raith Rovers). Actually, on further investigation the Edin part is Cumbric, which makes sense.
Etymology can often be unclear and many we'll never know and can just make best guesses at. The similarity of Celtic languages also means it's often impossible to tell if it's Gaelic, Cumbric or Pictish origin, especially with those languages being quote similar, two of them being dead and the third having changed significantly since many of these toponyms arose.

Thanks for the info. The town of Airdrie did once stage the Mod and some of our streets still have those bilingual plaques. Cheers

9 minutes ago, Andy_K_97 said:

I know Kilmarnock comes from Cille Mearnaigh, and translates as place of or church of St. Marnock. Anywhere that has "Kil" at the start of the word comes from a church that someone ancient set up and can date back to Gaelic times.

Yes indeed . We had a trip to Loch Melfort a few years ago and there were lots of "Kil" names in Argyll on the road signs. I will need to revisit my History books and hopefully after lockdown , Loch Melfort!

1 hour ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Dunfermline and Dundee.

Finally, an interesting topic on this hellsite.

There's a difference between a Gaelic name and having a Gaelic form. Edinburgh has a Gaelic form in Dùn Èideann but isn't a Gaelic name. Similarly Dumbarton isn't originally Gaelic it's Brythonic/Cumbric.

I wouldn't have thought Brechin was Gaelic. Montrose might be but it's hard to be sure as, as Diego Diego points out,  when the Gaels came over they borrowed some of the native words from the Picts and some had a similar proto-Celtic ancestry anyway. 

Even the Ness element of Inverness is likely to pre-exist any known languages as do many other rivers like Dee, Don and Tay.

Dingwall is interesting in being an east coast example of pure Norse.

If I was to stick my neck out and commit to SPFL team name elements being pure Gaelic it would be Kilmarnock, Ross, Dunfermline, Greenock, Alloa, Airdrie, Cowdenbeath, Stranraer.

Probably Gaelic

Montrose, Elgin, 

Cumbric/Brythonic/Pictish or Proto-Celtic 

Aberdeen, Dundee, Arbroath, Ayr, Clyde, Dumbarton, Fife, Forfar, Partick  Annan, Brechin, Stirling

On 27/03/2021 at 16:19, ArabAuslander said:

You've got to remember they are quite a small production company, so they might have other projects to work on. I would personally love for A View from the European Terrace in June though.

It’s not really the type of show to cover the Euros. More fitting would be having a show about the Deeside Summer League at Kinker and Torphins.

Unsure if this has been posted elsewhere, but we're raising money for kids to get kitted out in Scotland shirts ahead of the Euros.

If you can donate, please do, if you can share videos of you attempting keepie-uppies like some of the internationalists who have already, or some of the show members who have theirs incoming... even better.