A View From The Terrace.

7 minutes ago, Armand 2 said:
  • Looking forward to Joel Sked singing Sunshine on Leith on this week's show after boldly claiming a Hearts victory at Firhill.

Think Joel will get away with it after saying that it was only if Hearts didn't get to Hampden.  Technically they still can...

I thought it was a really encouraging first episode. As alluded to it will take a few weeks to fine tune things but I particularly enjoyed the way they seamlessly went between all the leagues of Scottish football.

I'm in total agreement with CGT as a suggestion for the Sportscene host on a Friday night. Not sure whether there was a rationale (or media training?) behind the Thompson/McDonald presenter role or they have just thrown them in the deep end but either way it's reduced 2 (in my opinion) fairly reasonable pundits into stilted and struggling presenters.

On 3/6/2019 at 21:35, LazyBW said:

I thought it was a really encouraging first episode. As alluded to it will take a few weeks to fine tune things but I particularly enjoyed the way they seamlessly went between all the leagues of Scottish football.

I'm in total agreement with CGT as a suggestion for the Sportscene host on a Friday night. Not sure whether there was a rationale (or media training?) behind the Thompson/McDonald presenter role or they have just thrown them in the deep end but either way it's reduced 2 (in my opinion) fairly reasonable pundits into stilted and struggling presenters.

Thompson presented Sportsound a few times quite well - especially the day Scotland women's qualified for the World Cup

On 06/03/2019 at 13:13, Armand 2 said:

After witnessing the horror show that was Steven Thompson anchoring the coverage from Firhill on Monday, CGT would actually be a fine choice to present the lower league games covered by the BBC.

I've long kept the opinion to myself that some of these guys should be aiming for BBC Scotland's football broadcasting jobs.  Hopefully this can be a stepping stone to that.  Alan Temple in particular showed huge potential in the Terrace's early days.  CGT shines on camera and Shaughan has always made a great tag team with him.  My fear is that the big jobs will always go to the usual suspects, but I'd love for this show to grow and be a success.

As many highlights as there were to last Friday's episode, I think the show was too long at 60 minutes.  A tightly-edited 30 or 40 minute format with the equivalent content would be dynamite.

Edited by bunglebonce

A really good episode and really liked the fact that they included best bits from the pods too. Could be a bit slicker introducing each segment - didn't need to see Craig bite the burger and everybody chuckling for example.

Overall though it was excellent and I just loved hearing about Armand One again!

Another good show. One definitely a cult hero and was good to have the Dundee guy in. One wee thing: Didn't entirely agree with the point about Hastie and and Alloa but understand the logic behind it, but the game at the weekend is at the Recs rather than East End. 

Edited by Waspie

Really enjoyed it too. You can tell there’s a lot of love for Scottish football on those sofas which makes it all the more watchable. The pre-recorded segments have been excellent over the two weeks too. There’s a few issues that need ironed out between segments and I think some have fallen flatter than others but you’d expect that 2 weeks in on any show. I hope this becomes a regular feature of the Scottish football experience. 

If we keep it all in perspective, TV is not cheap/easy to make. It's good that they changed it up a bit this week, gives them more of a feeling of what works and what doesn't -e.g.  was very enjoyable seeing the Dundee player from their banter year season.

The second episode was again quite good, quite liked the feature with the Hibs Ladies player. Didn't think we needed to see the CGT burger scene or from a personal POV reliving Sunday afternoon when it was like having my heart ripped out.

I am a big fan of the song at the end - it's good to give some Scottish acts some airtime and finishes the show quite poignantly.

Agree with the other comments on here - it would have worked better, say as an hour on STV - where you've only got 45 minutes of actual show time - but  getting an extra 15 minutes of the Terrace lads is hardly a dealbreaker.

Delighted to see my man Thomas Reilly at Forfar getting picked out by Craig Telfer as Forfar's secret sauce. An absolutely glorious player and comfortably one of the most underrated in League One. I had thought I was the only weirdo who was mad about him, but it's good to see I have company in that club.

19 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

Delighted to see my man Thomas Reilly at Forfar getting picked out by Craig Telfer as Forfar's secret sauce. An absolutely glorious player and comfortably one of the most underrated in League One. I had thought I was the only weirdo who was mad about him, but it's good to see I have company in that club.

Glad to see Tam doing well. I thought he should have got more time at St.Mirren. Turfed out the door pretty poorly imo. Had loads of potential.

Thought the first episode was good, and the short film of the Cowdenbeath match was magnificent. Whoever filmed and edited that deserves great credit.  Think it would be a worthwhile feature every episode at a different lower league club each week.

Didn't think the second episode was as good overall. Agree that it was too long. And the Albion Rovers alternative timeline felt like it was never going to end!

They're 4 good lads (gid honest laddies) who present and talk well. But I find it a bit chat heavy for an hour tv show.  I'd like to see a bit more footage, either of matches or characters, with them discussing over it. e.g. Similar to the keeper messing up at Forfar, more of this kind of thing.

The thing they do very well is float seamlessly between the divisions, which is great these days when all of football media is about elitism and pretending lower leagues don't exist, so features on lower league clubs or players with unusual jobs or hobbies, or backroom staff would be good.  The SOD empire biscuit feature was great, and the Hibs women's player.

Agree with the different club song playing out at the end by local artists is brilliant.  Has @The RealSaints had a call yet?

Second episode was enjoyable and generally liked everything, although agree that the Albion Rovers section didn’t land as well as it could have. Also would have like another instalment in the wonderful misadventures of the Two Duncan’s, which was the undoubted highlight of the first episode.

Thought the illustrated segments debunking bullshit you’d hear in the stands was good, as was the feature on Rachael Small.

I actually quite liked the Albion Rovers parallel universe thing. Completely irrelevant and obtuse, but imaginative and quite funny.

Good to see something on women's football and I'm glad it wasn't all the same type of features as the first week.

The burger bit can get tae phuk though.

I’ve listened to the podcast for years so no surprise I am really enjoying the TV show.

Last weeks effort was superb and actually my stepdad who is a stereotypical grump (and a ***) really enjoyed it too. This weeks wasn’t quite as good but you expect that as they’re finding their feet. The segments on Cult Heroes was class though and I’d love to see that done.

I agree re the Albion Rovers stuff, it seemed a bit too indulgent to CGT (which usually I’m all for on the podcasts) IMO it would have worked better with him asking what would have happened if they had gotten through and putting bits of his theory in there rather than rambling on. Live and learn though. The features are excellent with the two Duncans, Rachel Small and SOD particularly impressing.