A View From The Terrace.

I liked it to start with but I can see how much it’s improved. Really enjoy catching up with it.  Liking the wee bits of highlights they show from the club’s social media channels too.

Strange to see people on BBC talking about potential Arbroath signings for next year. I would be surprised if Pat Bonner could point Arbroath out on a map of Tayside. Infact I would be surprised if he could spell Arbroath.

If they are looking for a partisan club commentary then they should look no further that Celtic TV when Tom Boyd is commentating. Even as a Celtic fan his commentary is unreal. A Celtic player could walk on with a metal baseball bat and pound a Dundee player to the ground with 6 heavy blows to the head, and Boyd would claim a yellow to be harsh. 

However a nothing tackle in the middle of the pitch where a St Mirren player clips James Forrest’s ankle...well that’s nothing short of assault according to Boyd and an absolute travesty that the referee hasn’t pulled out a yellow card for this 4th minute tackle. 

Edit - Also fair play for managing to show the highlights from Arbroath v Airdrie in a way which never actually showed footage of any goal, but also managed to be better presented than any highlights package that Sportscene have ever shown. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

Guest Moomintroll
I liked it to start with but I can see how much it’s improved. Really enjoy catching up with it.  Liking the wee bits of highlights they show from the club’s social media channels too.
Strange to see people on BBC talking about potential Arbroath signings for next year. I would be surprised if Pat Bonner could point Arbroath out on a map of Tayside. Infact I would be surprised if he could spell Arbroath.
If they are looking for a partisan club commentary then they should look no further that Celtic TV when Tom Boyd is commentating. Even as a Celtic fan his commentary is unreal. A Celtic player could walk on with a metal baseball bat and pound a Dundee player to the ground with 6 heavy blows to the head, and Boyd would claim a yellow to be harsh. 
However a nothing tackle in the middle of the pitch where a St Mirren player clips James Forrest’s ankle...well that’s nothing short of assault according to Boyd and an absolute travesty that the referee hasn’t pulled out a yellow card for this 4th minute tackle. 
Edit - Also fair play for managing to show the highlights from Arbroath v Airdrie in a way which never actually showed footage of any goal, but also managed to be better presented than any highlights package that Sportscene have ever shown. 
I would be surprised If Pat Bonner could point to the UK if someone showed him a map of the UK.

37 minutes ago, Comrie said:

The Falkirk TV commentary absolutely made my Saturday morning.

On a slight digression, if I ever need cheering up I watch the Falkirk TV highlights of our playoff win over them from a couple of years back.

Really enjoying the show. As others have said, it was maybe a little awkward and stilted in the first week or two (understandably so) but even after four shows it's become much more confident and flowing. The section on Gayfield was a thing of genuine beauty.

I tend to agree with Fowler on the partisan commentary thing, but I’m sure if Scotland were at a World Cup and we had a team of Derek Rae and Ally McCoist going mental as we scudded one past Trinidad and Tobago I’d absolutely love it. I guess it feels different when it’s your national team. Club commentary feels really small time, and I don’t enjoy RedTV’s very much.

Enjoyed episodes 3 and 4.

That short film from the Arbroath v Airdrie game in the style of a Wes Anderson film was brilliant.  I've watched it 3 or 4 times and think it's bordering on genius.  Not just for all the wee quirks from a WA style of film, but it also works really well to capture the mood of lower league football.  The 4 wee lads staring over the back wall at the sea with a wave splashing up in the background nailed it perfectly.  A lot of it reminded me a bit of the photographer who used to do the homes of football books and exhibitions.

Not sure if it's the same lad who filmed and edited the montage from Cowdenbeath in the first episode, but both have been superb.

33 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

That short film from the Arbroath v Airdrie game in the style of a Wes Anderson film was brilliant.  I've watched it 3 or 4 times and think it's bordering on genius.  Not just for all the wee quirks from a WA style of film, but it also works really well to capture the mood of lower league football.  The 4 wee lads staring over the back wall at the sea with a wave splashing up in the background nailed it perfectly.  A lot of it reminded me a bit of the photographer who used to do the homes of football books and exhibitions.  

It was brilliantly put together. The different camera angles showing the crowd watching on and celebrating the goals, and the narrow view from beside what I assume is the main stand showing the players rush by during play was great.  A bit of thought had went into what the end product was going to be and it showed. It was genuinely better than anything else the BBC have produced football wise and it never showed one goal, or even one full passage of play. 

6 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

It was brilliantly put together. The different camera angles showing the crowd watching on and celebrating the goals, and the narrow view from beside what I assume is the main stand showing the players rush by during play was great.  A bit of thought had went into what the end product was going to be and it showed. It was genuinely better than anything else the BBC have produced football wise and it never showed one goal, or even one full passage of play. 

Agree.

I did wonder if I was an Arbroath or Airdrie fan and didn't get to see a lot of my team on national tv, if I'd be a bit pissed off that it didn't show more of the match highlights...

But then the way it was done was to appeal far more to neutrals and it definitely worked for me.

The guy holding the carrier bag for the ref to pick the 50/50 draw winner as he goes up the tunnel at HT is another personal highlight and great capture by the cameraman!

5 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

The guy holding the carrier bag for the ref to pick the 50/50 draw winner as he goes up the tunnel at HT is another personal highlight and great capture by the cameraman!

The cameraman got a few great shots, as someone else said the wee boys watching the waves come up towards the wall as they looked over. If the cameraman got fortunate and captured those shots through luck then fair enough, but it had the feel of something a bit more polished and thought out rather than turning up to Gayfield with a camera and hoping to get lucky. Maybe one of the guys from the show can correct me if I’m wrong and it was just luck. :lol: 

12 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

The cameraman got a few great shots, as someone else said the wee boys watching the waves come up towards the wall as they looked over. If the cameraman got fortunate and captured those shots through luck then fair enough, but it had the feel of something a bit more polished and thought out rather than turning up to Gayfield with a camera and hoping to get lucky. Maybe one of the guys from the show can correct me if I’m wrong and it was just luck. :lol: 

They filmed something similar for the pilot, and then went back to film a whole load of brand new footage for the actual show, so there would be some element to which the absolutely fantastic camera people and production team would have known what sort of stuff to look out for. Obviously the wee moments like Rab Douglas catching the ball one-handed are pure luck though - you can't plan for stuff like that.

This is growing into essential viewing, I thought this week's was the best yet (narrowly beating week three's episode).

My only issue with the first episode was that it was a  bit all over the place, but now they've got a really good flow to the show and the guys on there are clearly growing more familiar with it as well. 

At a time where coverage quite often falls way short  of expectations, this is a really refreshing change - brilliant work!

On 3/24/2019 at 02:06, IrishBhoy said:

Boyd's raging commentary after the  James Scott incident is arguably my favourite moment of this season. Verge of tears raging.

On topic, the Wes Anderson style highlights package is one of the best things I think I've seen in Scottish football. 

The fantasy bit about Scotland at Euro 96 was much better than the one done previously with Albion Rovers in the Scottish Cup.  

The Arbroath feature was brilliant and I'd love for them to go to more smaller grounds. Would love a similar film at Cliftonhill for example.  

I was laughing my head off as soon as they started chatting about the international goalie being on trial at East Stirlingshire.  I used to have the highlights saved on my laptop and Kenny Adamson scores a 40 yard goal because the keeper was chatting to the subs behind the goal as he shot :lol: 

Managed to find a way to watch the most recent episode. Well worth a watch but didn't think it was amazing. Maybe a bit weird seeing them on screen rather than just hearing their voices and I think I'll get used to it. Particularly liked the 5 year olds fixing Scottish fitba and the Euro 96 bit was very good.

Everybody has been raving about CGT and his presenting skills but the star has to be Shaughan.  Basically every time he gets to speak I end up laughing.  They're all good but he raises it up a level.

17 hours ago, The Minertaur said:

Everybody has been raving about CGT and his presenting skills but the star has to be Shaughan.  Basically every time he gets to speak I end up laughing.  They're all good but he raises it up a level.

It's the same on the podcast. Shaughan's breakdown of Partick Thistle's season a few weeks back had me laughing out loud in the office.