A View From The Terrace.

39 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

I think from the start the level of media coverage was hugely different, obviously. Wimbledon were recent FA Cup winners and Premier League founding members.

I know Livi fans got it tight from a lot of lower league fans (rightly), but I think by the time they got to the top flight a lot of top-flight club fans had hardly noticed Meadowbank were gone, and Livi got a lot of fawning media coverage.

The facts are the facts, though. They are a club stolen from their community by an owner with an agenda. I don't believe most Scottish fans are for this, I just think hardly any ever think about it. The away end at Livi should be empty every time they play. They are MK Dons and should be treated as such.

People say it's different because we have a proper pyramid now, but MK Dons came into being when England already had a pyramid. We don't take club governance anything like seriously enough in Scotland, which is mind-boggling considering what's happened at so many of our clubs. There's nothing to say this couldn't happen again. Any club, especially our smaller ones, who get into financial difficulty could end up in this situation.

What are your thoughts on Airdrie? 

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

Hassan Kachloul. Livingston signed him after the transfer deadline had passed and claimed he was an amateur. Turned out they were paying him, Livvy stayed up and Dundee started greeting like a wee lassie. Livvy were given a slap-on-the-wrist fine.

Business consultant.

Sure Flynn could actually have registered him legit as a player too but fecked it all up thinking he couldn't and made up the whole business consultant thing as to why he was paying him a wage playing for us.

The Kevin Dundee fan phoning up greetin to the radio was FAF too, got the piss ripped out him as he was ragin. I think Vincent should go on AVFTT to complain to them about Livingston, i'd watch it.

12 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Aye he's got a very high opinion of himself. :lol:

Loved the wee smiley in the middle of his raging rant of a post. OIP.Jif6AeNJs870Y3G4kHOkKwAAAA?pid=ImgDe

I generally think he's alright but of late he's coming across as quite arrogant and insular by tarring things with a very wide brush.

24 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Yep, i know  a few.

Not sure I'd get the appeal of coming from that part of Edinburgh to Livi to watch the football but I suppose you'd have to be a bit of a nonconformist already anyway to just not support Hibs in that scenario. I wonder how they feel about Edinburgh City.

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

Hassan Kachloul. Livingston signed him after the transfer deadline had passed and claimed he was an amateur. Turned out they were paying him, Livvy stayed up and Dundee started greeting like a wee lassie. Livvy were given a slap-on-the-wrist fine.

Best footballing consultant we've ever had at the club 🤣

10 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Not sure I'd get the appeal of coming from that part of Edinburgh to Livi to watch the football but I suppose you'd have to be a bit of a nonconformist already anyway to just not support Hibs in that scenario. I wonder how they feel about Edinburgh City.

Sat next to a Meadowbank fan at a cup game once, came from Tranent, was there with his Grandson.

On 25/02/2023 at 07:31, VincentGuerin said:

We've been over the 'Livi are c***s' thing and I'm aware it's been done to death.

But it's absolutely depressing that a show of the type of AVFTT treats Livi like a legitimate fitba club. An English equivalent to this show would NEVER feature the MK Franchise. Fanzine and fan culture in general absolutely and openly abhors them. Yet, in Scotland, nothing.

Scottish fitba's cultural acceptance of Livi continues to utterly dismay me. Get them to f**k.

Enjoy. Livingston fans plot the rise of the all-time record appearance holder, Scott Pittman - BBC Sport

image.png.741256b8d0ffe587189c12773cde6893.png

On 25/02/2023 at 11:47, VincentGuerin said:

You'd simply never get coverage of MK Dons like this in an English fanzine show, or something that passes itself off as a modern/right-on kind of football coverage.

To be honest, I never find the show's credentials all that convincing in that regard.  

On 25/02/2023 at 13:00, VincentGuerin said:

I think from the start the level of media coverage was hugely different, obviously. Wimbledon were recent FA Cup winners and Premier League founding members.

I know Livi fans got it tight from a lot of lower league fans (rightly), but I think by the time they got to the top flight a lot of top-flight club fans had hardly noticed Meadowbank were gone, and Livi got a lot of fawning media coverage.

The facts are the facts, though. They are a club stolen from their community by an owner with an agenda. I don't believe most Scottish fans are for this, I just think hardly any ever think about it. The away end at Livi should be empty every time they play. They are MK Dons and should be treated as such.

People say it's different because we have a proper pyramid now, but MK Dons came into being when England already had a pyramid. We don't take club governance anything like seriously enough in Scotland, which is mind-boggling considering what's happened at so many of our clubs. There's nothing to say this couldn't happen again. Any club, especially our smaller ones, who get into financial difficulty could end up in this situation.

Lower league fans did indeed give Livingston a hard time but they weren't particularly liked by a lot of people on their way up the ranks the first time either, not just because they franchised Meadowbank but also because they assembled squads they couldn't afford. The second time they were in administration and seemed likely to go under there were a lot of excited opposition fans on here. I think in more recent times - the Martindale inspired rise up the leagues - there has indeed been far less anger directed towards them. Perhaps that is just the passage of time and younger fans who are not aware of the history and maybe everyone else just got used to Livi being here. Certainly is striking how differently they are treated in comparison to MK Dons. Airdrie too seem to have been forgiven by now for taking over Clydebank (who of course had a good shot at doing the same thing to East Stirlingshire back in the 60s).

Meadowbank were a good wee club who overachieved massively in establishing themselves in the second tier. Reached League Cup semi and would have made the Premier League in the 80s but for league reconstruction. They also brought through some very good players, one of whom played for Scotland in the World Cup. They did all that living within their modest means and they weren't in any danger of going under, that was something pushed by the regime who took them over with the intention of taking them to Livingston. Something of an irony that people throw that at Meadowbank who ran a tight ship only to be replaced by a club that was in administration twice in its first 15 years. 

Whatever people think about the way Meadowbank came into being and into the SFL, their loss was a terrible blow to almost all of their fanbase. A friend of mine was a fan and he never adopted another team. Nor did he ever forgive Livingston. 

Not sure Livi have grown as a club as much as those behind the franchise would have hoped. Over 25 years now, plenty of top flight seasons and currently established there, and a major trophy, but the crowds really aren't great. 

Nice wee feature on Pittman though 😁

Edited by Waspie