A View From The Terrace.

5 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

I dislike Livingston more than most, mainly due to Dundee's relegation at their cheating hands with a certain illegible player. 

However, your take on Livingston is wild. Absolutely take the piss out of plastic fans and plastic pitches, but not to recognise them as a legitimate club is wild.

Were you a Meadowbank fan before? Or did Marcio Maximo pump your other half?

Do you mean an ineligible player or are you raging at said player's untidy scrawl?

Kenny Deuchar was a doctor, was it him?

4 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

We've been over the 'Livi are c***s' thing and I'm aware it's been done to death.

But it's absolutely depressing that a show of the type of AVFTT treats Livi like a legitimate fitba club. An English equivalent to this show would NEVER feature the MK Franchise. Fanzine and fan culture in general absolutely and openly abhors them. Yet, in Scotland, nothing.

Scottish fitba's cultural acceptance of Livi continues to utterly dismay me. Get them to f**k.

I’m sure Hearts will manage to take 3 points off them at some point.

5 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

I don't know how an owner could steal his own stuff? 

So, if Dundee had a wrong'un owner and were moved to St Andrews, renamed St Andrews FC, and St Andrews FC's website proclaimed them champions of Scotland 1962 and Scottish Cup winners 1910, you'd just shrug and say 'it's the owner's right'.

😀

It's incredible how people view Livi.

5 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

So, if Dundee had a wrong'un owner and were moved to St Andrews, renamed St Andrews FC, and St Andrews FC's website proclaimed them champions of Scotland 1962 and Scottish Cup winners 1910, you'd just shrug and say 'it's the owner's right'.

😀

It's incredible how people view Livi.

Heart of Mid-Lothian fans from the East Meadows will be turning in their graves at your short memory.

All clubs must start somewhere. Anyway this will never happen as Dundee are massive. Plenty clubs have done this, it's just Livingston were a bit late to the party.

2 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Heart of Mid-Lothian fans from the East Meadows will be turning in their graves at your short memory.

All clubs must start somewhere. Anyway this will never happen as Dundee are massive. Plenty clubs have done this, it's just Livingston were a bit late to the party.

I was wondering if there’d be a Hearts comparative that could be used regarding communities having their clubs stolen.

15 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

😀

Fucking hell.

We wonder why Scottish fitba fans can't get anything done. We can't get Twenty's Plenty, we can't get any kind of restructuring of our fitba to make it competitive and meaningful, we can't get decent media coverage, we can't get consensus on things like B-Teams and youth development.

Then you realise that we have a top-flight club we all know is stolen from another community which nobody objects to, and it all makes sense.

It's incredible. It's such a non-partisan issue. Surely we'd all agree that clubs shouldn't be taken away from their fans at the whim of their owners? But, no. Seems nobody fucking cares. 😀

Of all the energy and upset that goes into B teams, for example (people boycott them), it's amazing that none whatsoever goes into the issue of a team that was stolen from somewhere else and claims that club's history. Non-issue, apparently.

Edited by VincentGuerin

I guess the reason no-one cares is a) it happened almost 30 years ago so a vast number of modern day fans have no idea of the background to it (I'm 37 and I have no memory of all this happening), b) they have been Livingston FC far longer now than they were ever Meadowbank Thistle and c) ultimately they were a very small club with a very small fanbase who were on the point of going out of business when the move occurred.

4 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

I guess the reason no-one cares is a) it happened almost 30 years ago so a vast number of modern day fans have no idea of the background to it (I'm 37 and I have no memory of all this happening), b) they have been Livingston FC far longer now than they were ever Meadowbank Thistle and c) ultimately they were a very small club with a very small fanbase who were on the point of going out of business when the move occurred.

Not really sure why the size of the club should matter, to be honest. You're either fine with it or you're not.

And this idea that Meadowbank were definitely toast is one that was pushed by the guy who wanted to move them.

Just now, VincentGuerin said:

Not really sure why the size of the club should matter, to be honest. You're either fine with it or you're not.

And this idea that Meadowbank were definitely toast is one that was pushed by the guy who wanted to move them.

I'm not casting any judgement on the rights and wrongs of it, I'm just pointing out the reasons why it isn't treated as such a big deal.

What happened to Wimbledon FC was obviously a travesty and I think that's an opinion that is widespread amongst fans of all clubs in England. Was there the same feeling about Meadowbank at the time up here?

39 minutes ago, velo army said:

Do you mean an ineligible player or are you raging at said player's untidy scrawl?

Kenny Deuchar was a doctor, was it him?

Hassan Kachloul. Livingston signed him after the transfer deadline had passed and claimed he was an amateur. Turned out they were paying him, Livvy stayed up and Dundee started greeting like a wee lassie. Livvy were given a slap-on-the-wrist fine.

11 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

I'm not casting any judgement on the rights and wrongs of it, I'm just pointing out the reasons why it isn't treated as such a big deal.

What happened to Wimbledon FC was obviously a travesty and I think that's an opinion that is widespread amongst fans of all clubs in England. Was there the same feeling about Meadowbank at the time up here?

I think from the start the level of media coverage was hugely different, obviously. Wimbledon were recent FA Cup winners and Premier League founding members.

I know Livi fans got it tight from a lot of lower league fans (rightly), but I think by the time they got to the top flight a lot of top-flight club fans had hardly noticed Meadowbank were gone, and Livi got a lot of fawning media coverage.

The facts are the facts, though. They are a club stolen from their community by an owner with an agenda. I don't believe most Scottish fans are for this, I just think hardly any ever think about it. The away end at Livi should be empty every time they play. They are MK Dons and should be treated as such.

People say it's different because we have a proper pyramid now, but MK Dons came into being when England already had a pyramid. We don't take club governance anything like seriously enough in Scotland, which is mind-boggling considering what's happened at so many of our clubs. There's nothing to say this couldn't happen again. Any club, especially our smaller ones, who get into financial difficulty could end up in this situation.

Edited by VincentGuerin

2 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

I think from the start the level of media coverage was hugely different, obviously. Wimbledon were recent FA Cup winners and Premier League founding members.

I know Livi fans got it tight from a lot of lower league fans (rightly), but I think by the time they got to the top flight a lot of top-flight club fans had hardly noticed Meadowbank were gone, and Livi got a lot of fawning media coverage.

The facts are the facts, though. They are a club stolen from their community by an owner with an agenda. I don't believe most Scottish fans are for this, I just think hardly any ever think about it. The away end at Livi should be empty every time they play. They are MK Dons and should be treated as such.

I agree with the principle that clubs shouldn’t be moved from their communities like the franchises we see in American sport.

But the big travesty is that Meadowbank were ever allowed into the league in the first place. There was a space and members voted on it. A real opportunity to open our game up to new areas of the country which were under represented in the league system to established clubs with fanbases;  Inverness or other Highland clubs, Gala Fairydean and Borders’ clubs.

But no, the member clubs decided they couldn’t face all that extra travelling so gave the place to an Edinburgh works team, Ferranti Thistle, who were made to change their name. No fans, no suitable ground at the time. 
And you’re upset for them???

By all means argue Livingston shouldn’t have a league place, but don’t do it out of some faux sympathy for a club that shouldn’t have been there in the first place.

23 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

I think this is a far too simplistic way to look at it. For instance Broomhill was bought over with no backlash as it was essentially a sports club with no fan base. It's totally different to the likes of Wimbledon etc.