A View From The Terrace.

Forfar is 3/4 on the Angus away day ranking, despite Station Park itself being an excellent ground.
Brechin is only a top category away game for the sort of sad anoraks who just lollop off and onto the official supporters' bus every fortnight and look forward to the soup options at half time. 
Punt them out of the national league and elevate Wick Academy or Scourie in their place.
I didn't know Scourie had a football team. That would be an epic away day!

Last minute winner was tremendous.

Every team should have a railway station. Second consideration is pubs. That means the unarguble Angus away rankings are:

1. Montrose

2. Arbroath

3. Forfar 

4. Brechin 

Don't get me wrong I love Brechin away but the facts don't lie 

16 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Every team should have a railway station. Second consideration is pubs. That means the unarguble Angus away rankings are:

1. Montrose

2. Arbroath

3. Forfar 

4. Brechin 

5. Dundee Utd

FTFY m9

46 minutes ago, microdave said:
18 hours ago, virginton said:
Forfar is 3/4 on the Angus away day ranking, despite Station Park itself being an excellent ground.
Brechin is only a top category away game for the sort of sad anoraks who just lollop off and onto the official supporters' bus every fortnight and look forward to the soup options at half time. 
Punt them out of the national league and elevate Wick Academy or Scourie in their place.

I didn't know Scourie had a football team. That would be an epic away day!

Fun fact:  I've actually been to a Scourie game.

4 minutes ago, microdave said:
34 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:
Fun fact:  I've actually been to a Scourie game.

Fun fact #2 I filled my car up in Scourie when I did the nc500.

I know someone who does a good deal on hubcaps. PM if interested.

2 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

1. Montrose

2. Arbroath

3. Forfar 

4. Brechin 

I've long been an advocate of this. Rather than the hideous all seater rule that has forever driven thousands of fans away from our game, the rule should definitely have been 'all railway station', and it should have applied across the entire SFL and now SPFL 

If we are generous and allow nearby stations to apply (looking at you Cove) then only 3 clubs are really affected as it stands.

13 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I've long been an advocate of this. Rather than the hideous all seater rule that has forever driven thousands of fans away from our game, the rule should definitely have been 'all railway station', and it should have applied across the entire SFL and now SPFL 

If we are generous and allow nearby stations to apply (looking at you Cove) then only 3 clubs are really affected as it stands.

Let's not be generous and reflect the reality of the situation instead:

- Cove requires some shan bus to an industrial estate out from Aberdeen's one shitey station in the city centre = kicked out of the leagues and replaced with Brora.

- Almondvale is practically in a different postal region to Livingston's two utterly useless stations, so they can go into the East of Scotland League as a result.

- And 'Falkirk' of course actually play in Grangemouth which has no station either, so they can just be liquidated on the spot. 

East Fife's presence should depend entirely on the Levenmouth extension getting the go ahead. 

Sound policies for a better Scottish football. 

Edited by vikingTON

3 minutes ago, virginton said:

Let's not be generous and reflect the reality of the situation instead:

- Cove requires some shan bus to an industrial estate out from Aberdeen's one shitey station in the city centre = kicked out of the leagues and replaced with Brora.

- Almondvale is practically in a different postal region to Livingston's two utterly useless stations, so they can go into the East of Scotland League as a result.

- And 'Falkirk' of course actually play in Grangemouth which has no station either, so they can just be liquidated on the spot. 

East Fife's presence should depend entirely on the Levenmouth extension getting the go ahead. 

Sound policies for a better Scottish football. 

I fear this harsh policy may also preclude Stenhousemuir since it doesn't have a station as such and relies on Larbert, a good 10 minute walk. Also Inverness' ground requires a bus ride from the city centre.

It is for the sake of leniency that I urge a second thought less we lose such excellent away venues.

Stenhousemuir and Larbert are the same bumpkin township and Inverness' ground is easily walkable from the harbour end of the town centre. During our routine 5-0 shoeing up there at the start of last season I left after the third goal midway during the second half and had a crisp pint in hand in The Innes before the final whistle. 

I fear this harsh policy may also preclude Stenhousemuir since it doesn't have a station as such and relies on Larbert, a good 10 minute walk. Also Inverness' ground requires a bus ride from the city centre.
It is for the sake of leniency that I urge a second thought less we lose such excellent away venues.
If ten minutes is too far to walk then Hibs and City can piss off too.

5 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
55 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

If ten minutes is too far to walk then Hibs and City can piss off too.

You'd need 7 league boots to get from Dundee train station to either of the Dundee grounds in 10 minutes...they're oot too.

Edited by Loonytoons
dreadful grammar

The corollary to this persecution of football clubs without a train station in their town, is preferential treatment for clubs that either must or should be accessed by boat. 

Dunoon, Rothesay Brandane, Campbeltown Pupils, all the Hebridean clubs + Northern Isles teams = automatic third round Scottish Cup spots. In the same way that the French Cup features teams from Réunion and other mad islands around the world. Get them in and send the likes of Hibs to Eriskay away in January for a real leveller of the playing field for the cameras. 

Another sound policy for a better Scottish football. 

Edited by vikingTON

7 hours ago, virginton said:

The corollary to this persecution of football clubs without a train station in their town, is preferential treatment for clubs that either must or should be accessed by boat. 

Dunoon, Rothesay Brandane, Campbeltown Pupils, all the Hebridean clubs + Northern Isles teams = automatic third round Scottish Cup spots. In the same way that the French Cup features teams from Réunion and other mad islands around the world. Get them in and send the likes of Hibs to Eriskay away in January for a real leveller of the playing field for the cameras. 

Another sound policy for a better Scottish football. 

We had a boat booked for the away trip to Arbroath before COVID denied us one of the great away days.

Dundee pals have taken the boat to St Johnstone away before. 

12 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Aye this 10 minute thing I said is clearly  nonsense as it would eliminate almost all clubs!

Even more annoyingly, Glebe Park is a 5 min walk from the well-maintained train station serving the line that British Rail stopped operating in1980.   So Brechin does have a functioning train station, it's just not much use to anyone arriving east of the non-restored 4 mile gap in the line at Montrose.

However... if you can make your way to the Bridge of Dun station* by Montrose, you can charter a train on what's now the Caledonian Railway. So not only does it have the hedge, the ability to hang over the linesman, end-swapping, a bar under the stand, the best soup in the land, pubs around the corner etc, but you can also turn up next to the ground in your own chartered steam train draped in club colours of your choice.  How about that for an away day?

Screenshot_20210314-113345.thumb.png.56e16562aa71b1e9b42ac1075ccd1575.png

*you'd probably end up getting the bus there and it would be far less hassle just to stay on it, but ye ken.

Edited by Hedgecutter