A View From The Terrace.

I moved to within a 5 minute walk from Newlandsfield in August 2019 and still haven’t made it to a game. Safe to say I’m a bit pissed off that I didn’t manage before the football stopped.

24 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:
55 minutes ago, craigkillie said:
It is a national disgrace that there has not been a goal scored by a goalkeeper in our top flight for at least 25 years, possibly more. Completely unacceptable.

Has there been anyone since Hamish McAlpine? Was there not a Hibs keeper a few years ago?

McAlpine is the last one I know of for sure, in February 1977, Andy Goram is the last one I know of for sure, in May 1988 (thanks Ranaldo Bairn), but I don't have any data on it between then and 1996ish so I can't be sure there hasn't been another one in the period between that. Mark Oxley scored a long punt for Hibs in 2014, but that was in the Championship.

Edited by craigkillie

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

McAlpine is the last one I know of for sure, in February 1977, Andy Goram is the last one I know of for sure, in May 1988 (thanks Ranaldo Bairn), but I don't have any data on it between then and 1996ish so I can't be sure there hasn't been another one in the period between that. Mark Oxley scored a long punt for Hibs in 2014, but that was in the Championship.

I know it was probably not the top division, and over 25,  but John Martin of Airdrie did score against St Johnstone,( I hope!) and a long kick which Alan Lawrence missed but Jim Holmes  maybe kicked it in? Thought last nights opening section on not having a game to watch reflected much of how I feel. Still got last section to watch but welcome return.

7 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Keepers going up for corners are usually more of a hindrance than a help. They think because they ran the length of the pitch to get involved, they need to go all out to get their head on the ball, and either give away a free kick for barging a defender or get in the way of one of their own players who is in a better position to score. 

This is how you do it...

51 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Did Stefan Klos not score for Rangers?  I have some vague recollections of that happening (unless it was awarded to someone else).

I think it was a game against Dunfermline(?) where he was initially awarded it by the radio but it ended up being an own goal.

Edited by craigkillie

4 hours ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

I am visible in that video but thankfully the camera flies off before it catches me through the gate and on to the park 😂

I think that goal was in injury time to give us a 2-2 draw at Victoria Park in a run of the mill Division One game. Celebrated it like we’d won the league.

The magic minute. Glennon scored about the same time Charlie Adam got a last minute winner for us against Queen of the South. Huge moment in the title race that season.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I was at the game when Goram scored , long kick out down the old slope one bounce over the Morton keeper's and in the net 

The worst Last Minute Winner ever.
Surely you do what happens in our house when that closing slot comes round....have a big son, old dad play fight to see who can scramble up the stairs first leaving the "loser" to the old, lights out, doors checked, heating onto times routine ???

I moved to within a 5 minute walk from Newlandsfield in August 2019 and still haven’t made it to a game. Safe to say I’m a bit pissed off that I didn’t manage before the football stopped.
Once you do go it becomes quite addictive. I've always been a fan of the juniors without specifically having a team. I've always gone to the games in the towns I've been staying in (moved a lot round Ayrshire over the years). Moved to Troon a while back and their set up is so good that I now rarely do Saints away games (still do all home plus Scottish cup and Killie etc) preferring Troon if they are at home. Play at a great level mostly in my time and the clubhouse bar is fantastic. Add in the camaraderie with away fans given Troon is one of the great Junior away days (met loads of great guys over the years in the towns pubs after the club closed) and once you do dip your toe in you'll generally love it.

19 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

To be fair, I don’t think they would be performing during the end credits of a football show on the BBC Scotland channel if they were capable of selling out the Hydro, or being main support to a band like Texas. 

Also, there’s a good chance that members of the band will come on this forum to see how their performance was received, and I don’t think it would make them feel very nice if the first thing they see is someone calling them ‘loose’ and a ‘school concert’.

They supported the Foo Fighters at Bellahouston, which is pretty impressive. 

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I think it was a game against Dunfermline(?) where he was initially awarded it by the radio but it ended up being an own goal.

Yeah that was my recollection.  Vaguely recall seeing a picture of Klos celebrating and then the goal given to someone else later on.  I think this was the season Klos wore a white top with a blue bar across the chest.

Edited by Highland Capital

10 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

One thing I cannot abide is the hypocrisy of social-media users. One minute they're all: "Be kind! You don't know what the person behind the Twitter account has been through!"; the next they make fun of your clothes and say you dress like a man who tarmacs driveways.

Don't worry mate, you're a stick on for the lead role as Kenny Powers in the Fife-based Eastbound and Down remake, East-End and Down.