A View From The Terrace.

I've always been a fan of the show (and the podcast) but last night's was probably the best episode yet. Kaela McDonald-Nguah spoke really articulately about the importance of Black Lives Matter and her own experiences of racism in football. A superb interview with a true Scottish football icon in Rose Reilly. Again she spoke well and she has a fascinating story. I could listen to her for hours. And the poignancy of an empty Dens Park really hit home. Even that Airdrie goal and Tam Rab got a mention. Great stuff all round. 

On 22/11/2020 at 10:40, Scary Bear said:

I wonder what folk from Weegieland - Glasgow and the Glasgow hinterland of darkest Lanarkshire and the rest - make of this show. Do all the East Coast accents grate a bit?

It’s genuinely something that has never even crossed my mind, none of them have particularly strong accents and I would struggle to pin point exactly where they are from. Obviously none of them stay west of Airdrie, and I’ve read on here that the presenter is from the Falkirk area, but would struggle with the rest. I assume they stay in the vicinity of the teams they support. A grating Fife accent talking knowledgeably about Scottish lower league football is infinitely preferable to any of the west coast zoomers on Clyde or Sportsound. I think you do west coasters a disservice. 

The Kaela McDonald-Nguah segment was brilliant and horrendous in equal measure. Imagine a kid in P1 calling someone a (or at least using the phrase) "ni**er". Utterly unbelievable. A stark reminder of the problems that remain in this country and the work that needs to be done to continue to combat racism.

On 28/11/2020 at 00:42, Busta Nut said:

There was a warning about the phrases used aforehand. What for?

I missed it on Friday so only catching up on it now.  There was parental advisory thing before it on the IPlayer about 'discriminatory language'.  Is it really necessary to do that when it's a black person talking about the racism they've faced?  It's not like it's racist remarks being shouted out without context.

Edited by Highland Capital

49 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

I missed it on Friday so only catching up on it now.  There was parental advisory thing before it on the IPlayer about 'discriminatory language'.  Is it really necessary to do that when it's a black person talking about the racism they've faced?  It's not like it's racist remarks being shouted out without context.

In that context she actually censored what she said anaw.  I wasn't even sure it was for that.