A View From The Terrace.

Any of the podcasters on here (can’t tag because I’m using the app). Please tell me no one from Hearts for **** will appear on the podcast again after their pish and shit stirring over Griffiths on Twitter.

100% this

1 minute ago, buddie06smfc said:

The criteria for the National squad is based on ability, fitness and form not whether or not they have a squeaky clean reputation. Rangers fans linking that to Griffiths mocking Lafferty for a bereavement is disgusting.
McBurnie took to twitter to call Michael Stewart a helmet does that mean he is no longer fit to represent Scotland and should be excluded from all future squads?
This is just another episode showing how tragic the Old firm really are.

Strongly disagree. The National Team is meant to represent us all. How can it represent immigrant and refugee communities in Scotland with someone like Griffiths in the side? How do those people feel about that?

There is a vast chasm between telling people to go back to their own countries and calling Michael Stewart a helmet because he slagged you off. It's embarrassing you'd even try to make that comparison.

Strongly disagree. The National Team is meant to represent us all. How can it represent immigrant and refugee communities in Scotland with someone like Griffiths in the side? How do those people feel about that?
There is a vast chasm between telling people to go back to their own countries and calling Michael Stewart a helmet because he slagged you off. It's embarrassing you'd even try to make that comparison.

Both are forms of abuse regardless of the way you choose to selectively interpret it. Thankfully Griffiths isn’t there to write an immigration policy, he’s there to do what he did last night as one of the nation’s best strikers. There is no need to turn this into a pathetic Celtic v Rangers row.

47 minutes ago, G51 said:

I'm almost certain he didn't know anything about Lafferty's sister last night and meant it as a jab at Northern Ireland (for whatever reason)

I think we can all guess why he chose them and Lafferty in particular and I am of the same opinion as yourself about not knowing about Lafferty losing his sister (I didn't either). To have it pointed out to him and then follow that tweet up with :

20201113_111417.jpg.102c9507240f70a2d4c9792ddb7451a1.jpg

is sickening. He's then deleted his account and sent out a half hearted explanation/apology (strangely enough). 

No matter how good a player he is - and I fucking loved him at Dens, I even applauded the little shit onto the park in Celtic colours - I want to see an example made of him for this. 

Just now, buddie06smfc said:

Both are forms of abuse regardless of the way you choose to selectively interpret it. Thankfully Griffiths isn’t there to write an immigration policy, he’s there to do what he did last night as one of the nation’s best strikers. There is no need to turn this into a pathetic Celtic v Rangers row.

Jesus Christ. You can't "both sides" something like this. To be clear these are my positions:

1) There is absolutely no comparison between Griffiths making racist remarks/singing racist songs and McBurnie calling Michael Stewart a helmet in reply to Stewart calling him a shite footballer. It's not even close, and it's an absolute minter that someone would try to compare these two things.

2) The Scotland National Team is meant to represent everyone, and by including someone like Griffiths, there's a very good argument to say that it doesn't.

3) Whether we are comfortable with Griffiths playing for Scotland is a question we need to ask ourselves as supporters, in the same way we asked ourselves about whether we were okay with Malky Mackay managing the side. My recollection is that Scotland fans (certainly the ones I know) came to a pretty resounding "no" on that. This conversation probably needs a lot of input from ethnic minorities and should be part of a broader discussion about what is acceptable behaviour for someone representing Scotland. My take would be that I'm uncomfortable with Griffiths representing Scotland.

4) Trying to stop Adam Thornton from coming on to the Terrace because of something that David Edgar posted is incredibly small time and completely unfair, regardless of whether what Edgar posted was right (it was). I wouldn't hold Craig Fowler accountable for something Joel Sked said (not that any of them have said anything).

David Edgar seems like a complete c**t of a man who has himself been incredibly homophobic in the past as well as constantly trying to fester hatred like he did last night (and often worse), and I wouldn't be happy if he was ever on (not that it's up to me). However, I've never met the guy Adam Thornton, but he seems decent enough and Euan Taylor is a great guy too so I think it would be a bit unfair on them to hold them responsible for Edgar being like that.

Jesus Christ. You can't "both sides" something like this. To be clear these are my positions:
1) There is absolutely no comparison between Griffiths making racist remarks/singing racist songs and McBurnie calling Michael Stewart a helmet in reply to Stewart calling him a shite footballer. It's not even close, and it's an absolute minter that someone would try to compare these two things.
2) The Scotland National Team is meant to represent everyone, and by including someone like Griffiths, there's a very good argument to say that it doesn't.
3) Whether we are comfortable with Griffiths playing for Scotland is a question we need to ask ourselves as supporters, in the same way we asked ourselves about whether we were okay with Malky Mackay managing the side. My recollection is that Scotland fans (certainly the ones I know) came to a pretty resounding "no" on that. This conversation probably needs a lot of input from ethnic minorities and should be part of a broader discussion about what is acceptable behaviour for someone representing Scotland. My take would be that I'm uncomfortable with Griffiths representing Scotland.
4) Trying to stop Adam Thornton from coming on to the Terrace because of something that David Edgar posted is incredibly small time and completely unfair, regardless of whether what Edgar posted was right (it was). I wouldn't hold Craig Fowler accountable for something Joel Sked said (not that any of them have said anything).

How comfortable are you with Declan Gallagher representing you personally while playing for Scotland? I would expect similarly if not more uncomfortable with Gallagher.

Just now, buddie06smfc said:

How comfortable are you with Declan Gallagher representing you personally while playing for Scotland? I would expect similarly if not more uncomfortable with Gallagher.

Not comfortable. Again, that should form part of a wider discussion about what behaviour is acceptable when you represent Scotland.

The problem is, if we did have that discussion, we'd be the first fanbase in sports to do it. Fans always prefer to turn a blind eye and forget about these things.

2) The Scotland National Team is meant to represent everyone

Agreed, and that’s why it‘s important to include people like Leigh Griffiths in the squad. Arseholes make up a sizeable percentage of the population and that aspect of our country should be represented just like any other.

The phrase "it's all about the Rangers" is true in that many (not all, far from it) Rangers fans seem to want to make it so. Just ignore them cause it's actually all about Scotland.

The show is normally something to really look forward to in a standard week at the moment but with the game last night I hadn't really given it any thought. Great to hear it'll include some post-game reaction.

Guest Arthur Symington
18 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Agreed, and that’s why it‘s important to include people like Leigh Griffiths in the squad. Arseholes make up a sizeable percentage of the population and that aspect of our country should be represented just like any other.

It's one thing being an arsehole but for some it goes beyond that.

If it were up to me, people wouldn't be raving about how colossal Gallagher was last night because he wouldn't even have been playing, reason being his criminal record that amounts to more than a simple parking ticket. Alas, society chooses to give people like him a chance.

Griffiths has been given too many chances IMO and doesn't seem to learn. I don't buy this descent into poor mental health, which implies everything was rosy with him at some point. Likelihood is that if he wasn't a footballer he'd be cutting about the streets with nothing to his name. Quite how he can have a family life like most people is baffling but then I remember the world's fucked up like that.

31 minutes ago, Arthur Symington said:

If it were up to me, people wouldn't be raving about how colossal Gallagher was last night because he wouldn't even have been playing, reason being his criminal record that amounts to more than a simple parking ticket. Alas, society chooses to give people like him a chance.

Shocking that society allows people to move on with their life after serving their sentence. Alas indeed.

52 minutes ago, Arthur Symington said:

It's one thing being an arsehole but for some it goes beyond that.

If it were up to me, people wouldn't be raving about how colossal Gallagher was last night because he wouldn't even have been playing, reason being his criminal record that amounts to more than a simple parking ticket. Alas, society chooses to give people like him a SECOND chance.

Griffiths has been given too many chances IMO and doesn't seem to learn. I don't buy this descent into poor mental health, which implies everything was rosy with him at some point. Likelihood is that if he wasn't a footballer he'd be cutting about the streets with nothing to his name. Quite how he can have a family life like most people is baffling but then I remember the world's fucked up like that.

FTFY.

Am I missing something or did Leigh Griffiths just like a pic of Lafferty missing out on the Euros and somehow its been related to his sister dying? Did he find out after the game or something and thats what the pic is about?

Griffiths is a fud and should stay away from social media but Im confused to as to what he’s done here other than be unprofessional.

Edited by gannonball

35 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Am I missing something or did Leigh Griffiths just like a pic of Lafferty missing out on the Euros and somehow its been related to his sister dying? Did he find out after the game or something and thats what the pic is about?

Griffiths is a fud and should stay away from social media but Im confused to as to what he’s done here other than be unprofessional.

What's this got to do with AVFTT?

11 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Bringing this thread back onto topic, tonight's episode is going out at the slightly later time of 11pm. This is because it's Comic Relief or Children in Need, one of the two.

So tune in then!

Disappointing that theres not a Comic Relief special - AFFTT must hate charity NOT a good look