A View From The Terrace.

57 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Lower league ramblings is very good.  The stories about Dick Campbell that come up are great in it amongst everything else discussed. 

I met Dick Campbell in my late teens/early twenties when he was working for a firm that did some work at my folks house. I always remember thinking he’s came across exactly the same as he does in a football capacity. He’s just an old school typical guy of his generation. 

Edited by 8MileBU

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I'd say football is about 40 years behind normal workplaces in that way. I had a conversation about it with a manager. He insisted on old school titles being used by players. Mr Chairman and Gaffer, other coaches could use names and be called by their names. I suggested that tone and respect might be more important than terminology but he would've have it.

Football isn’t, and probably never will be a normal workplace. In a normal workplace you don’t get members of the public coming along to shout and sing the most obscene insults at you, and you just have to take it. Applies to all employees of clubs.

1 minute ago, kingjoey said:

Football isn’t, and probably never will be a normal workplace. In a normal workplace you don’t get members of the public coming along to shout and sing the most obscene insults at you, and you just have to take it. Applies to all employees of clubs.

What has that got to do with the hierarchical terms used within clubs and the difference in normal workplaces?

Aye, I remember watching that and couldn't believe it became a platform for Hughes to sell himself; needless to say, it didn't work!
Hughes was on a podcast earlier in the year where the host kicked off by asking about his time at Raith Rovers, but framed the question with something like: "I think you're a brilliant manager and I can't believe you're out of work - do you think what happened at Stark's Park has played a part in that? People forget you took charge of the club very late on!" The host then allowed Hughes, unchallenged, to lay the blame with the players and the board, saying he hadn't done his "due diligence" and that he joined too late into the season to do anything about their poor form.
Just hopeless stuff. If anyone wants to hear more stuff about Hughes' time in Kirkcaldy, I recorded a podcast with Bobby Barr in 2018 about it, might be worth your time!

Can't believe a discussion about Hughes has turned into a platform for Telfer to sell hismelf and his podcast.

3 minutes ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:
On ‎18‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 21:17, Francesc Fabregas said:
Aye, I remember watching that and couldn't believe it became a platform for Hughes to sell himself; needless to say, it didn't work!
Hughes was on a podcast earlier in the year where the host kicked off by asking about his time at Raith Rovers, but framed the question with something like: "I think you're a brilliant manager and I can't believe you're out of work - do you think what happened at Stark's Park has played a part in that? People forget you took charge of the club very late on!" The host then allowed Hughes, unchallenged, to lay the blame with the players and the board, saying he hadn't done his "due diligence" and that he joined too late into the season to do anything about their poor form.
Just hopeless stuff. If anyone wants to hear more stuff about Hughes' time in Kirkcaldy, I recorded a podcast with Bobby Barr in 2018 about it, might be worth your time!

Can't believe a discussion about Hughes has turned into a platform for Telfer to sell hismelf and his podcast.

And also to stick the boot into other podcasts......Shameful IMO

6 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

What has that got to do with the hierarchical terms used within clubs and the difference in normal workplaces?

Given the tone of your post, probably nothing, but I just wanted to get my point across. I feel that I’ve just been told off by the teacher. I apologise.

On 18/10/2020 at 21:17, Francesc Fabregas said:

Hughes was on a podcast earlier in the year where the host kicked off by asking about his time at Raith Rovers, but framed the question with something like: "I think you're a brilliant manager and I can't believe you're out of work - do you think what happened at Stark's Park has played a part in that? People forget you took charge of the club very late on!" The host then allowed Hughes, unchallenged, to lay the blame with the players and the board, saying he hadn't done his "due

Was that the Northern Football Podcast with Iain Auld?

19 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Don’t want to turn this into another Open Goal v Terrace discussion but personally would rather listen to Ferry and other ex pros than some wee albino dweeb and his pals with their brutal fashion. The segments are genuinely really good on A View From the Terrace though. More segments, less albino IMO.

The segments in A View From the Terrace are nice in that they break up the show, but personally I like the segments with chat. I like that they’re fans rather than ex-pros. 

I’ll maybe give Open Goal a go, so I can compare and contrast. Listening to ex-pros on BBC Scotland generally isn’t a rewarding pastime, so either the ones on Open Goal must be a lot better or some fans just like listening to ex-pros.

2 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

The segments in A View From the Terrace are nice in that they break up the show, but personally I like the segments with chat. I like that they’re fans rather than ex-pros. 

I’ll maybe give Open Goal a go, so I can compare and contrast. Listening to ex-pros on BBC Scotland generally isn’t a rewarding pastime, so either the ones on Open Goal must be a lot better or some fans just like listening to ex-pros.

Kevin Kyle is, rather impressively, one of the worst 'pundits' in Scottish football. 

Really enjoyed it as always, great to have it back. I was a wee bit surprised there wasn't much said about the Betfred games, particularly Annan beating Hamilton again and the record breaking Stranraer v Albion Rovers penalty shootout, but I'm not one to leave a gig moaning about the songs the band didn't play, I'm just glad to have seen the band!

5 minutes ago, DG.Roma said:

Really enjoyed it as always, great to have it back. I was a wee bit surprised there wasn't much said about the Betfred games, particularly Annan beating Hamilton again and the record breaking Stranraer v Albion Rovers penalty shootout, but I'm not one to leave a gig moaning about the songs the band didn't play, I'm just glad to have seen the band!

Might have been recorded before those games.

On 20/10/2020 at 16:00, craigkillie said:

Ferry is miles better than any of the rest of them on there.

This.

I can just about deal with Si Ferry, and enjoyed his interviews in the car with Lee McCulloch and Bobby Madden - both are really interesting insights. He's a good interviewer and is able to get more out of footballers than a normal sports journo can. However, the actual Open Goal Pods with Slaney and KK are absolutely brutal. Terrace Pod (and others) are much better.

Should say Chris Iwelumo has been great with Cairns on the Tuesday pod. Really interesting insight, felt a bit disappointed finding out he's a Celtic fan though.

It’s also one of the few workplaces where staff can earn substantially more than their bosses! Also where bosses get sacked for the poor performances of their staff, the opposite of teal life

On 20/10/2020 at 15:17, DG.Roma said:

I *think* this might be a rights issue. I think Premier hold all tv rights for it so it would've just been a case of talking about it, without the context of any footage. 

On 20/10/2020 at 15:23, DA Baracus said:

Might have been recorded before those games.

Definitely not the Annan-Accies one, that was the week before, and as far as I know the Stranraer-Albion one was the night before, but.... 

24 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

I *think* this might be a rights issue. I think Premier hold all tv rights for it so it would've just been a case of talking about it, without the context of any footage. 

That would make sense, cheers Graeme 

Is there more to the Si Ferry stuff than just his interviews with players? If not, regardless of opinions on the quality of it, I can't really see it working well on TV. It would be a bit boring having a solid hour of that.

I imagine it works better being a podcast/video as well rather than having it on the BBC. Probably less legal things to worry about for one and players will probably be a bit more open - especially as some of them almost certainly won't have a clue what a podcast is.