A View From The Terrace.

Haven't read the full conversation, but I pass Arbroath training during the week walking my dog and Campbell has no issue being shouted back at when players are doing a session.

Player gives away the ball, Campbell/coach shouts some form of (not genuinely meant) abuse at them, player fires back a retort, both just laugh it off; type thing.

The manager knows his overall plan.

Others piping up with their own "opinion" just gets in the way causing confusion. And when things are frantic in any job or pursuit confusion is less than helpful.

I will say that the "robust" approach to discipline only works if everyone has a great deal of respect and trust i the manager

On 16/10/2020 at 23:43, iamnotgarybollan said:

People on Twitter not liking the programme are also the same people tagging Si Ferry

omg why is open goal not on tv some chat in the dressing room lads am i right slaney

Don’t want to turn this into another Open Goal v Terrace discussion but personally would rather listen to Ferry and other ex pros than some wee albino dweeb and his pals with their brutal fashion. The segments are genuinely really good on A View From the Terrace though. More segments, less albino IMO.

50 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Don’t want to turn this into another Open Goal v Terrace discussion but personally would rather listen to Ferry and other ex pros than some wee albino dweeb and his pals with their brutal fashion. The segments are genuinely really good on A View From the Terrace though. More segments, less albino IMO.

I can understand that.

But there's already been enough programs where old/current pros are on that talk about their time playing, dressing room banter etc. If that's what you prefer to listen to, fair play.

I don't think everything works all the time either but it's different and the guys on it aren't complete fuds, even if you don't agree with their perspective. Just record it or watch on iPlayer later and skip to the segments 

Edited by Zapp Brannigan

59 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

That's fair enough. But the clue is in the title of the Programme - it's not about Pros or ex-Pros, it's the miserable, grumpy, pessimistic, blind-to-reason people like us.

Brutal fashion is a strong statement too. I mean Telfer's jumpers are horrible, Joel's T shirts are questionable and Fowler like Hip Hop. 

I doubt any of them would have considered "fashion" in the sense it's been judged.

I canny go ex pros to be honest. Most are thick as shit.

Dick Campbell can be decent entertainment.  I quite like his post match interviews, usually, but I don't think he comes across great in interviews like Friday's one.  Feel like he plays up to the persona a bit, similarly in the Si Ferry interview too.

Always get the idea he's a good manager if you are a lower league side looking to build something, as long as he can recruit the players that suit his style.  Can't imagine he would do great going into an environment where some kind of instant reaction or success was needed.

His brother comes across as a very, very angry old man. 

3 hours ago, CALDERON said:

Always get the idea he's a good manager if you are a lower league side looking to build something, as long as he can recruit the players that suit his style.  . 

I think that’s key.  If you listen to lower league ramblings you get the impression guys who end up playing for him for more than a season or so learn to how to play along and figure out when it’s just dick being a bit of an oddball and when they need to take him more seriously.

On 18/10/2020 at 20:20, craigkillie said:

It's a workplace with a hierarchy though, not a democratic co-operative.

My workplace has a hierarchy and I'd guess yours does too.

It doesn't tend to mean nobody can express an opinion towards someone higher up the structure though.

3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It doesn't tend to mean nobody can express an opinion towards someone higher up the structure though.

I'd say football is about 40 years behind normal workplaces in that way. I had a conversation about it with a manager. He insisted on old school titles being used by players. Mr Chairman and Gaffer, other coaches could use names and be called by their names. I suggested that tone and respect might be more important than terminology but he would've have it.

35 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Even the video from training that was shown in that part of the segment made it pretty clear that people could express opinions, it was just that he wasn't interested in receiving them unsolicited. If one of my bosses was giving a presentation or something at a team meeting then I doubt they'd appreciate me chipping in with my thoughts every five minutes.

There are lots of valid reasons not to like Dick Campbell - viking-TON shared at least a couple of them earlier in the thread - but it's weird to see folk twisting what was a fairly normal and unremarkable comment and insinuating that it's indicative of some sort of toxic work environment.

Edited by craigkillie

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

Even the video from training that was shown in that part of the segment made it pretty clear that people could express opinions, it was just that he wasn't interested in receiving them unsolicited. If one of my bossess was giving a presentation or something at a team meeting then I doubt they'd appreciate me chipping in with my thoughts every five minutes.

There are lots of valid reasons not to like Dick Campbell - viking-TON shared at least a couple of them earlier in the thread - but it's weird to see folk twisting what was a fairly normal and unremarkable comment and insinuating that it's indicative of some sort of toxic work environment.

Nothing toxic insinuated.

Just evidence provided that he's a daft old sod.  The story he recited about the brilliant put-down he and his brother reserve for anyone expressing an opinion, was pretty pathetic.

1 hour ago, parsforlife said:

I think that’s key.  If you listen to lower league ramblings you get the impression guys who end up playing for him for more than a season or so learn to how to play along and figure out when it’s just dick being a bit of an oddball and when they need to take him more seriously.

Lower league ramblings is very good.  The stories about Dick Campbell that come up are great in it amongst everything else discussed.