A View From The Terrace.

Every workplace has that rude, right leaning old duffer who "tells it like it is" and "what you see is what you get" but is secretly despised by most of the workforce.

I would imagine Campbell would be the same but thick footballers probably lap that up.

He'd be really popular with the likes of Simon Ferry, for example.

"He's a right character!"

Edited by Szamo's_Ammo

Interestingly, although a lot of folk are  giving it the “you’d only get away with that in football” line, I’m sure I heard that, away from football, Dick and his brother run a highly successful recruitment firm. I’m not saying he behaves the same way in that role but if he’s able to perform both roles that effectively, and switch mindset and behaviours accordingly, then he’s clearly not daft. Also, I know a few guys who played under him and they all loved him. 

Edited by Junior_Arab

Every workplace has that rude, right leaning old duffer who "tells it like it is" and "what you see is what you get" but is secretly despised by most of the workforce.
I would imagine Campbell would be the same but thick footballers probably lap that up.
He'd be really popular with the likes of Simon Ferry, for example.
"He's a right character!"
Wait, what?

Right - leaning? Surely you're not getting that from last night's interview?

Is dick a tory? Surely not.

I didn't think there was anything wrong with what Campbell was saying in his bit, especially during the training sessions.

I got the impression that the players respected but enjoyed it as they knew how he worked and spoke. It was endearing yet strict, although as an outsider I can see how it wouldn't look great. And it clearly works for Arbroath.

I've been in Campbells company a few times, him and his brother have a business in the town and he lives local, when I played at u19s etc the team I played for would rent the pitch out to Forfar for pre season aswell so seen him taking plenty sessions, always came across as brilliant tbh, the sessions that Forfar would do were an eye opener for me as a kid about just how far away I was from ever playing at that level. 

Campbell seems like the kind of manager who is tough, but has the charm to keep you on side. Will be able take the more egotistical players down a peg and keep their respect.

Nothing wrong with having an authoritarian approach as a football manager imo as a lot will take a yard if given an inch. But of course there's a balance to be struck.

Edited by Zapp Brannigan

Glad to see the View back on and the segments were worth it. Disappointed  that now Shaughan has gone up a League there was no bank or bust in L1. Mind you like me they tend to get the predictions wrong. My lasting impression of Dick Campbell was the march on to the field at Somerset, which led to a bench suspension. He did turn Arbroath into a runaway L1 title so he clearly has something.

22 hours ago, pandarilla said:

He didn't say that.

He said he doesn't want to hear players opinions unless he asks for them. That's very different.

Right - so players are discouraged from choosing to express opinions then. I'd suggest the notion of expression is lost when there are times when you're told you can't/shouldn't offer one.

22 hours ago, pandarilla said:

I'm sure he's happy that they hold opinions, and he'll no doubt have a few trusted voices that he does listen to. But he's not wanting this whole 'everyone has an equal opinion' pish that can be seen from time to time - probably linked to social media.

:lol: Ah yes, that new craze of thinking everyone equally valid. Damn those online social justice warriors!

[emoji38] Ah yes, that new craze of thinking everyone equally valid. Damn those online social justice warriors!
There's definitely been a rise in this over the last 20 years - where folk think that because they have an opinion, that it's somehow valid ("yeah but that's my opinion"...to justify something that's patently wrong).

Social media has a lot of positives, but there's undoubtedly down sides.

Just now, pandarilla said:

There's definitely been a rise in this over the last 20 years - where folk think that because they have an opinion, that it's somehow valid ("yeah but that's my opinion"...to justify something that's patently wrong).

Social media has a lot of positives, but there's undoubtedly down sides.

I don't think the idea that we should listen to and give respect to others opinions is a bad thing, no matter how wrong they may seem.

But we're talking about professional footballers having an opinion on football. I'm not sure why you've tried drawing parallels the way you have.

I don't think the idea that we should listen to and give respect to others opinions is a bad thing, no matter how wrong they may seem.
But we're talking about professional footballers having an opinion on football. I'm not sure why you've tried drawing parallels the way you have.
Ok.

On 17/10/2020 at 20:39, Francesc Fabregas said:

John Hughes' reputation was greatly tarnished after the Raith Rovers debacle and it's telling he hasn't worked in management since, no matter how many times he's given the platform to grandstand to anyone who'll listen.

Remember when they had a Scottish Cup tie on the BBC between Buckie and Bonnyrigg and it became free advertising for John Hughes. What a wild halftime analysis that was.

1 minute ago, ArabAuslander said:

Remember when they had a Scottish Cup tie on the BBC between Buckie and Bonnyrigg and it became free advertising for John Hughes. What a wild halftime analysis that was.

Aye, I remember watching that and couldn't believe it became a platform for Hughes to sell himself; needless to say, it didn't work!

Hughes was on a podcast earlier in the year where the host kicked off by asking about his time at Raith Rovers, but framed the question with something like: "I think you're a brilliant manager and I can't believe you're out of work - do you think what happened at Stark's Park has played a part in that? People forget you took charge of the club very late on!" The host then allowed Hughes, unchallenged, to lay the blame with the players and the board, saying he hadn't done his "due diligence" and that he joined too late into the season to do anything about their poor form.

Just hopeless stuff. If anyone wants to hear more stuff about Hughes' time in Kirkcaldy, I recorded a podcast with Bobby Barr in 2018 about it, might be worth your time!

7 hours ago, RawB93 said:

Not sure why you are taking such a stance on this. Arbroath are going through quite a decent spell at the moment and that would suggest that the players that Dick Campbell has at the club are accepting of his methods, and going out on a matchday and implementing whatever he does/says at training sessions and in the dressing room. There is no template for what a football manager has to do to bring success to a club.

Aye, I remember watching that and couldn't believe it became a platform for Hughes to sell himself; needless to say, it didn't work!
Hughes was on a podcast earlier in the year where the host kicked off by asking about his time at Raith Rovers, but framed the question with something like: "I think you're a brilliant manager and I can't believe you're out of work - do you think what happened at Stark's Park has played a part in that? People forget you took charge of the club very late on!" The host then allowed Hughes, unchallenged, to lay the blame with the players and the board, saying he hadn't done his "due diligence" and that he joined too late into the season to do anything about their poor form.
Just hopeless stuff. If anyone wants to hear more stuff about Hughes' time in Kirkcaldy, I recorded a podcast with Bobby Barr in 2018 about it, might be worth your time!

I think it may have been Linlithgow v Falkirk in the cup last season that was on BBC, Miller and McCracken must have been in caretaker charge at that point and a thickly scarfed and bunneted Yogi conducted an impromptu job interview. Think it was at that point he announced he was ready to return to football and had the fire back in his belly, but he wouldnt just be taking any job. Which, has proved to be true in fairness.