A View From The Terrace.

I met the Campbell brothers at a Scotland game and they were brilliant crack. Since then I met Dick quite a few times when I was helping out at Falkirk and he was an absolute gentleman. He would talk about football forever. Brilliant guy. 

I thought the Dick Campbell VT was tremendous and one of the highlights of the show. I think over the past couple of years, Campbell has become a meme to a certain audience, probably people who don't watch a lot of lower-league football, but almost everyone who's played under him talks about him in glowing terms. He seems like a brilliant man-manager and is able to create a positive atmosphere wherever he's been, especially in the past decade at Forfar Athletic and Arbroath.

I think he'd be a great manager to work under and I reckon his players would run through brick walls for him.

2 hours ago, accies1874 said:

Dick Campbell seems like a bit of a c**t who'd be shite to work under.

Seemed to me like he'd only be shite to play under if you were a c**t yourself tbh.

Love this being back on my screen, forgot how much I enjoyed the Duncs.

Seemed to me like he'd only be shite to play under if you were a c**t yourself tbh.

Love this being back on my screen, forgot how much I enjoyed the Duncs.
Aye I'd agree.

Takes no shit off wer fannies who think they're something - but clearly knows what he's doing in terms of man management.

8 hours ago, accies1874 said:

Dick Campbell seems like a bit of a c**t who'd be shite to work under.

Spoke to him a couple of times when he was County manager and though he didn't take shite, he was sound as f**k.

Edited by Comrie

Obviously rather a love-in for Campbell underway, but there's something ludicrous about his notion that nobody else should hold, let alone express, an opinion.

The guy must have certain attributes that work, but the boneheaded arrogance he brings to what he does is jarring.  Is football the only remaining industry where bosses can behave in such a way?

7 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Theres a lot about Dick Campbell that makes you jump to the conclusion that he is a typical auld Scottish Fitbaw dinosaur but like you I have seen ex players describe him as the complete opposite.

John Hughes is another. Often seen as bit of a joke figure, but numerous ex players (especially those who won the Scottish Cup with Inverness) have said he is a fantastic manager. 

1 minute ago, UAE1929 said:

John Hughes is another. Often seen as bit of a joke figure, but numerous ex players (especially those who won the Scottish Cup with Inverness) have said he is a fantastic manager. 

John Hughes' reputation was greatly tarnished after the Raith Rovers debacle and it's telling he hasn't worked in management since, no matter how many times he's given the platform to grandstand to anyone who'll listen.

1 minute ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

no matter how many times he's given the platform to grandstand to anyone who'll listen.

I suppose that's the major problem for him. When he speaks in public, doesn't come across as the brightest. 

Obviously rather a love-in for Campbell underway, but there's something ludicrous about his notion that nobody else should hold, let alone express, an opinion.
The guy must have certain attributes that work, but the boneheaded arrogance he brings to what he does is jarring.  Is football the only remaining industry where bosses can behave in such a way?

I like him as a character but he did not come across well at all last night imo. Absolute embodiment of Proper Football Man.

He didn't say that.

He said he doesn't want to hear players opinions unless he asks for them. That's very different.

I'm sure he's happy that they hold opinions, and he'll no doubt have a few trusted voices that he does listen to. But he's not wanting this whole 'everyone has an equal opinion' pish that can be seen from time to time - probably linked to social media.

7 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

He didn't say that.

He said he doesn't want to hear players opinions unless he asks for them. That's very different.

I'm sure he's happy that they hold opinions, and he'll no doubt have a few trusted voices that he does listen to. But he's not wanting this whole 'everyone has an equal opinion' pish that can be seen from time to time - probably linked to social media.

That's a very kind reading.

He was rattling on about how if anyone pipes up, he goes through this infantile thing of asking if he'd asked for an opinion.  He's clearly pleased with it as a brilliant riposte.

Would you be fine if your boss treated you that way?

I always thought it was weird that footballers have to call their boss gaffer.

He was rattling on about how if anyone pipes up, he goes through this infantile thing of asking if he'd asked for an opinion.  He's clearly pleased with it as a brilliant riposte.

I'm absolutely going to start using it in the classroom.

35 minutes ago, pandarilla said:
39 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'm absolutely going to start using it in the classroom.

Good luck in your ensuing job search.

I also thought Campbell came across as a bit of a bellend in that interview. I’ll admit I have a preconceived view that he’s a bellend. This is mainly based on his antics over the years and due to him being involved with the Pars.

Campbell is old school and I think he works better when he has a squad he can convince that it’s them versus the world and to be a close group.

I don’t think he’d object to a senior player speaking to him behind the scenes but if some youngster spoke back in-front of the group he would go mental. 
I watched an interview with an ex Dunfermline physio who mentioned that he went mental at a young keeper who broke his arm in training because he was getting in the way of training. “Dick he’s broken his arm” “get him off the f@@king pitch”

:lol:

I think he can be a bit of an arse at times but ultimately a decent guy, just very old fashioned methods.