A View From The Terrace.

46 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Your condemnation is way too harsh though.  

It's a light hearted look at Scottish football. It also gives a much more fan-centric perspective than anything else on TV.

It's funny and irreverent, as well as being v both informed and informative. And it's giving a showcase to a good load of artists and documentary makers that struggle to get much TV airtime.

If your initial post had been:

"They've given that striker too much credit for his goal against queens. The scorer stands still and knocks it in and they're bigging him up like ravanelli. "

...then no-one would've taken issue. But you slaughtered the guy for it, and then followed it up with the "ahh everyone on here is so blinkered, you wouldn't get that with sportscene".

The tone of your post was the issue, particularly the "utter nonsense for all to see".

But that part did involve "utter nonsense for all to see".

My posts on this thread generally involve plenty praise.  I like the programme, which is why I watch it.  My objection here didn't even centre on the player being given too much praise; it was just to do with the wild inaccuracy.

Not allowed though - against some rules apparently.

I'm not at all.
Its format marks a very welcome departure from programmes like that.  It doesn't however mean that when talking about action we're actually simultaneously watching, it's great if a presenter talks evident nonsense.
Surely the action will have been edited in during post-production - they haven't got a monitor with the clips playing while they discuss things like on Sportscene?

But that part did involve "utter nonsense for all to see".
My posts on this thread generally involve plenty praise.  I like the programme, which is why I watch it.  My objection here didn't even centre on the player being given too much praise; it was just to do with the wild inaccuracy.
Not allowed though - against some rules apparently.

He made an arse of it but you wanted him pilloried for it. Sportscene cockup to that level, yup, grim stuff.
This show isn't about that though; trying to compare the two is, as previously mentioned, missing the point of the show....it's not Sportscene or an attempt to be impartial or accurate. It's strangely enough a view from the terrace where we all make an arse of it from time to time.

3 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:

He made an arse of it but you wanted him pilloried for it. Sportscene cockup to that level, yup, grim stuff.
This show isn't about that though; trying to compare the two is, as previously mentioned, missing the point of the show....it's not Sportscene or an attempt to be impartial or accurate. It's strangely enough a view from the terrace where we all make an arse of it from time to time.

In what possible sense did I "want him pilloried"?  

That's just silly.

56 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:
7 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:
I'm not at all.
Its format marks a very welcome departure from programmes like that.  It doesn't however mean that when talking about action we're actually simultaneously watching, it's great if a presenter talks evident nonsense.

Surely the action will have been edited in during post-production - they haven't got a monitor with the clips playing while they discuss things like on Sportscene?

Indeed.  

He should perhaps have watched it properly in the first place, rather than have bent what happened to fit a particular narrative.

7 hours ago, pandarilla said:

It's a light hearted look at Scottish football. It also gives a much more fan-centric perspective than anything else on TV.

It's funny and irreverent, as well as being v both informed and informative. And it's giving a showcase to a good load of artists and documentary makers that struggle to get much TV airtime.

If your initial post had been:

"They've given that striker too much credit for his goal against queens. The scorer stands still and knocks it in and they're bigging him up like ravanelli. "

...then no-one would've taken issue. But you slaughtered the guy for it, and then followed it up with the "ahh everyone on here is so blinkered, you wouldn't get that with sportscene".

The tone of your post was the issue, particularly the "utter nonsense for all to see".

This. 

For polished production and style over substance, go and watch the EPL on Sky. 

For wee scrotes just like us who post on P&B, watch as much football as their real lives allow and actually care about it beyond pandering to two sets of fans, and still turn out very good content, see AVFTT. The day they stop making mistakes and churn out generic, by the numbers TV is the day I stop watching.

Monkey Tennis is still just seething that Telfer crowd wanked Falkirk for some reason.

10 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The fierce tribal loyalty this programme inspires is odd.  Any trace of criticism tends to get pounced on, even if it's clearly valid.  

9 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Mt nails it, the overreaction towards him quite rightly pointing out that something was wrong has been far more over the top than anything he said in relation to the incident. 

4 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

In what possible sense did I "want him pilloried"?  

That's just silly.

Pretty much about here.

On 30/11/2019 at 13:43, Monkey Tennis said:

it's the sort of gibberish that would be widely derided on here, were it offered on Sportscene.

I'm not disagreeing with you about the fact the show is above reproach, just what you compared it to....apples and pears and all that sort of fruity nonsense.

• 1 month later...

Watched the "best of" last night and the Arbroath Wes Anderson feature is one of my highlights of 2019.

Edited by Comrie