A View From The Terrace.

On 10/10/2019 at 20:06, CraigFowler said:

For any listeners reading this, if you believe the standard of the pod is falling, can you give me some reasons why? And anything you'd like to see introduced?

Obviously we're a bit more stretched these days but I'd hate to think we're taking our eyes off the thing that got us to where we are.

@CraigFowler, having read back my comment I think it was a bit more negative than I was trying to be! 

My only slight complaint would be that the podcast has become slightly less conversational and a few more voices seem to have been added, which has diluted the personalities of the presenters.  But, to be clear, I still like the podcast and find it a great way to stay abreast the lower leagues and smaller teams, and do not agree with those that have said the podcast is becoming centred on the Old Firm (especially relative to some other Scottish football podcasts, where I have had to spend half the episode skipping 30 second chunks).  The Patreon adverts are annoying (but are no more annoying than any advert on any podcast), but we all have to eat.

Oh, and the comparisons with Open Goal are totally misplaced.  The podcasts are entirely different and, for what little it is worth, I think that they are both quality in their own way.

Having listened to a fair whack of the TellHimHesPele Podcasts, are we really saying that Simon Ferry gets more out of his interviews than Craig Telfer does?

I have no doubt that if Telfer were to have interviewed the same players that Open Goal have done, the quality of them would be just as good, if not better.

On 10/10/2019 at 17:06, CraigFowler said:

Saw this post when I made my own.

For any listeners reading this, if you believe the standard of the pod is falling, can you give me some reasons why? And anything you'd like to see introduced?

Obviously we're a bit more stretched these days but I'd hate to think we're taking our eyes off the thing that got us to where we are.

Cheers

Craig F

Using a Raith Rovers fan to provide insight on the Championship (as per the season preview) is a pretty obvious shortcoming, given that there's more chance of a rocking horse doing a shite than those serial failures playing in that league in the near future.  

1 hour ago, the jambo-rocker said:

Having listened to a fair whack of the TellHimHesPele Podcasts, are we really saying that Simon Ferry gets more out of his interviews than Craig Telfer does?

I have no doubt that if Telfer were to have interviewed the same players that Open Goal have done, the quality of them would be just as good, if not better.

Si Ferry uses the same ‘technique’ all the time but basically he relaxes the interviewee  to a pub chat level where they open up  and divulge more where they wouldn't to people like Telfer, if anything their professionalism stops them.

I find it funny people moaning about Ferry for asking them same stuff but its tried and tested and seems to work so I don't really get the issue. 

A strange comparison but if you look at Louis Theroux he does a naive polite brit approach every single time when he does his interviews/ documentaries with similar outcomes. I find it funny as it seems to work every time.  He acts like he has done little research when he obviously has and almost masks his intelligence and they open up more as they don't feel threatened.

Edited by gannonball

Thanks to those that replied to my post.

While we’ve not intentionally taken our focus away from the main podcast, I’ll admit that sometimes we’re throwing ideas together at the last minute because we’re a bit busy. I’ve taken steps to make it easier for everyone on the pod to come up with a clear plan every episode. Hopefully this helps.

As for the different voices on the pod, I’m afraid this can’t really be helped. I’m a firm believer than three is better than two, but we’re not always able to get six across the two podcasts from our team of 13 (as incredible as that sounds) so outside help (Stevie, Jo) is required from time to time.

Glad to read someone say Monday’s was back to form and hopefully we’ll keep up that level.

Thanks again,

Craig F

Thanks to those that replied to my post.
While we’ve not intentionally taken our focus away from the main podcast, I’ll admit that sometimes we’re throwing ideas together at the last minute because we’re a bit busy. I’ve taken steps to make it easier for everyone on the pod to come up with a clear plan every episode. Hopefully this helps.
As for the different voices on the pod, I’m afraid this can’t really be helped. I’m a firm believer than three is better than two, but we’re not always able to get six across the two podcasts from our team of 13 (as incredible as that sounds) so outside help (Stevie, Jo) is required from time to time.
Glad to read someone say Monday’s was back to form and hopefully we’ll keep up that level.
Thanks again,
Craig F

If you’re struggling I know a guy who’d be a great addition...THE ‘ZINE.