A View From The Terrace.

51 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I'm surprised nobody has flipped their lid about the ref saying she hopes to get to the SPL one day.

Thought that at the time, but realised it's probably more understandable for someone involved in refereeing women's football, because their league is called the Scottish Women's Premier League.

Open Goal was good for about a fortnight. Si Ferry’s interview style (“so what was that like eh”) soon begins to grate - he’s a one trick pony - and it’s then entirely down to the guest and whether you like them. The guy Slane meanwhile is an utter f@nny and seems to have zero redeeming features. He’s made it unwatchable/unlistenable.

Open Goal was good for about a fortnight. Si Ferry’s interview style (“so what was that like eh”) soon begins to grate - he’s a one trick pony - and it’s then entirely down to the guest and whether you like them. The guy Slane meanwhile is an utter f@nny and seems to have zero redeeming features. He’s made it unwatchable/unlistenable.

I still like the Open Goal Interviews but as you say, the guest pretty much makes it.

I stopped listening to their Keeping The Ball On The Ground Podcast after about 3 shows literally because of the reasons described above. Paul Slane is beyond awful.

Agreed it’s too dependent on the guest. Some are decent enough and talk about their journey in football. Others just want to talk about how much of a unprofessional scumbag they were and hide it behind ‘dressing room banter’ with ferry just adding ‘did ye aye? some laugh eh’.

Played against the one-armed Hawick player in a village fives tournament a few years ago. Not a high standard of tournament but he was the best player there. Suppose he didn't really have much choice between football and rugby growing up.

Hawick is a wild place.

I find the Open Goal/Terrace comparisons a bit weird tbh- literally all they have in common is that they're Scottish football podcasts, the tone and content of the two is totally different. I certainly wouldn't go to Kevin Kyle for a tactical analysis or Jurrassic Park references, but equally I imagine Ferry's pally act gets a lot more out of his guests than the Terrace would. 

Overall I much prefer the Terrace but I think Open Goal is harmless enough, even if the fanbase is apparently full of mouth breathers. I've got a soft spot for Slane as well tbh, he reminds me of someone you were pals with in school that you bump into occasionally and wonder how he's still alive.

The only disappointment from the latest episode was that there was no mention of Jerren Nixon and £20 million during the Ivan Golac cult hero push.

A missed opportunity to bring up a prediction worse even that Shaughan’s bank or bust attempts, and an incredible moment in Scottish football history.

4 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

The only disappointment from the latest episode was that there was no mention of Jerren Nixon and £20 million during the Ivan Golac cult hero push.

A
missed opportunity to bring up a prediction worse even that Shaughan’s bank or bust attempts, and an incredible moment in Scottish football history.

I'm old enough to remember this, the boy was a more than decent player but that was a bonkers statement from a guy who, it was rumoured was found of a herbal cigarette or two back then.