A View From The Terrace.

Saw this post when I made my own.
For any listeners reading this, if you believe the standard of the pod is falling, can you give me some reasons why? And anything you'd like to see introduced?
Obviously we're a bit more stretched these days but I'd hate to think we're taking our eyes off the thing that got us to where we are.
Cheers
Craig F
I personally have found them a bit formulaic recently, seems to have gone a bit paint by numbers - presumably because you are all stretched at the moment. Still worth a listen, but it's becoming quite predictable.

I do think there is a creeping switch to more old firm centric chat, specifically Celtic but again I put this down to some newer contributors maybe not wanting to go out their comfort zone.

It's hard to put a finger on exactly what it is, but there has been a change over the last few months.

For any listeners reading this, if you believe the standard of the pod is falling, can you give me some reasons why? And anything you'd like to see introduced?
Obviously we're a bit more stretched these days but I'd hate to think we're taking our eyes off the thing that got us to where we are.
Cheers
Craig F

Hi Craig F. I think the patreon, and to a lesser extent the tv show, are probably taking what used to be the better content of the podcast. It’s still worth listening to and usually enjoyable, just not the essential listen it was - for me anyway. Still, the #lads are doing smashing work and I hope it continues long in to the future [emoji106]

15 hours ago, CraigFowler said:

Cheers

Craig F

Get Acast in the bin. The adbreaks (sometimes for ads that don't even happen) completely break the flow of the pod. I get that it is edited and always has been, but you did a pretty good job of not making it feel like it was until you changed to acast and had to cram the adbreaks in.

Might be an unpopular opinion but if the podcast has to suffer to allow the growth of the TV show id be all for that. Much more chance of pushing the agenda (covering more of Scottish football than a select few clubs) of the Terrace lads into the mainstream and ending up with a more engaged and knowledgeable fanbase in Scottish Football that way.

Its a shame of course but these lads were spinning plates already and making an original and enjoyable TV show, and keeping it that way must be hugely laborious. The TV show is the podcast brought to life IMO so certainly wont catch me moaing about decline in the podcast while the TV show is on the go.

Telfer doesnt even have time to go clothes shopping ffs.

12 hours ago, MP_MFC said:

I personally have found them a bit formulaic recently, seems to have gone a bit paint by numbers - presumably because you are all stretched at the moment. Still worth a listen, but it's becoming quite predictable.

I do think there is a creeping switch to more old firm centric chat, specifically Celtic but again I put this down to some newer contributors maybe not wanting to go out their comfort zone.

It's hard to put a finger on exactly what it is, but there has been a change over the last few months.

3 hours ago, NJ2 said:

Hi Craig F. I think the patreon, and to a lesser extent the tv show, are probably taking what used to be the better content of the podcast. It’s still worth listening to and usually enjoyable, just not the essential listen it was - for me anyway. Still, the #lads are doing smashing work and I hope it continues long in to the future emoji106.png

I agree with both of these posts. I've got the Patreon and watch the tv show and generally find both of them more entertaining than the 'main' podcast. I think some clubs get over the top praise and others get an unfair pummelling, dismissed or very little air time(Accies and St Mirren being the teams springing to mind immediately this season -  I would've said St Johnstone at times last season but the pod has us spot on this season, other than the guy who came on the podcast and his only insight into St Johnstone was that he 'didn't like them for some reason' and then I think started going on about how we were in financial trouble, which isn't true.  That was pretty poor) in favour of teams that the podcasters either support or for 'bigger' sides. It's only natural that'll be the case but you can guarantee a disproportionate discussion on some teams followed by an almost audible shoulder shrug on others.

I think the lower league podcast that pops up on Thursdays is by far the best main show because it basically has me laughing for the full time it's on and I find it informative in an area I'm not as well versed in as the top flight. I can't say I'm as keen on the 'banter' pods that pop up on Thursdays but that's just personal preference.

The season previews for the 12 clubs were essential listening on the patreon though, as are the current season reviews that you're doing just now. I'm about half way through Part 1 of the 12/13 season and enjoying that immensely.

I'm not meaning to give the main show on Mondays a kicking btw - I still listen every week and enjoy it, get some laughs and it's still the daddy of all top flight podcasts covering our top flight. Just trying to give some (hopefully constructive) feedback. More than happy to contribute to the Patreon as The Terrace's coverage of Scottish football deserves it, something I wouldn't do for any of the others out there.

Edited by Kyle

Cheers
Craig F

Big Tony needs to be louder, angrier and have access to a time machine.

Whenever Tony’s not on the pod, all the other guys should be asking: “where’s Tony?”

20 hours ago, CraigFowler said:

Cheers

Craig F

Old firm (Celtic mainly) supporting guests. 

20 hours ago, CraigFowler said:

Cheers

Craig F

I wouldn't mind seeing more regular lower league stuff but appreciate CGT and Shaughan are the primary drivers of that and they've got the TV show as well as a life and that.

Keep doing what you're doing, it's one of my favourite podcasts in the rotation.

Tony has some voice on him eh? It’s like he’s been munching gravel. Funny guy though.

I’m a huge fan of the tv show and contribute to the Patreon. Some of the features on the Patreon are excellent as others have said, the club by club previews back in August were great and the recent season reviews are cracking. I also really enjoyed the book review pod by Duncan and Gary for something a bit different.

On the main shows I do agree that some of the guests made them a bit too old-firmy (particularly Celtic) whilst they didn’t really have anything constructive to add to any other topics.

I’m not sure I agree with others that the quality has dipped though. For me, I think it may just be that the regular line ups seem to have chopped and a bit and we’re hearing more from the likes of Thom Watt, Andy Harrow etc than the more regular contributors like Fowler, Joel, CGT who are understandably tied up with the tv show and their actual jobs. I think it’s just a case of different/new voices and different (maybe less developed?) chemistry between those recording. Still an essential listen every week for me.

Oh, and more Craig Anderson when Scotland lose please. His very eloquent rant after the last set of fixtures was excellent listening.

35 minutes ago, dezz said:

Oh, and more Craig Anderson when Scotland lose please. His very eloquent rant after the last set of fixtures was excellent listening.

I'm not on tonight's show, so fingers crossed I won't have a chance to do this until some point next June or July.

What podcast episode was the open goal chat on? feel the podcast's still been pretty decent but obviously suffered a bit as a result of the TV show which was to be expected.  Tony bringing the old chaos factor back to the table has been enjoyable though. I remember an episode years ago with them talking about their favourite albums which turned into about 2 hours of daft stories. Tony going on mad tangents > fitba chat imo