A View From The Terrace.

I was the person who said it was pointless - not really sure you can accept criticism tbh. A disappointing reaction from someone involved in the show and smacks of knowing better and the self satisfied image I alluded to. It added nothing to the understanding of his work, was a few minutes of utter beige. A Random Guy of a feature. As a Stirling fan, it was disappointing. 
As said before, seems like the show exists in a vacuum and is very self indulgent. Some beautiful short films (the Arbroath one is genuinely the best Scottish football thing I've seen in a long time) but utter cringe studio interaction.
Think I've maybe been spoilt with high quality coverage of other legues now I don't live in Scotland but honestly think Scottish football deserves better than top gear style guffawing BANTER in the studio (the "f**k off" line in the last episode was as forced top gear style as it gets). Very "zany" student project/Soccer AM like.
Good luck with Series 2 though, I hope it improves and succeeds.
Everyone else seems to like it. You didn't.

Why the f**k would they change it, or somehow admit that you're right?

What a strange dig to make.

I appreciate all the comments in this thread about the first series of A View from the Terrace - as mentioned previously, it's always good to know what works well and what we can do to improve on some things going forward (and there are already some superb ideas in the pipeline for next season). It's been tremendous fun for everyone involved and I think we bowed out on a strong note on Friday night.
A new TV show about Scottish football is unlikely to please everyone, and I can accept some of the criticism in this thread and on social media, but if you think Duncan McKay's trip to Stirling Albion to work as their groundsman for the day was "pointless" then A View from the Terrace isn't for you and you should probably watch something else.
To address another point raised over the weekend, I've seen one or two comments on Twitter along the lines of "this should have been given to Si and Slaney" - would Open Goal, in its current format, benefit by being on TV? In what way would that make their product better? Open Goal can do whatever they want on YouTube, and good luck to them going forward. I don't understand why some people feel it's one or the other, A View form the Terrace or Open Goal. Kevin Kyle's comments on Friday night, made seven minutes into the show, were pretty funny, right enough. He shouldn't have deleted his original tweet; I wonder if someone had a word with him about it.
I hope to see you all in a couple of months, enjoy your summer!
Can I formally complain that in the round-up of the championship season you mentioned every single team except Ayr United (who've been scarcely covered in the series other than our hilarious drunk fan on the pitch at Palmerston).

Just to be clear, this is not a genuine criticism, although I was swearing openly at the TV when it happened.

Keep up the good work.

Think I've maybe been spoilt with high quality coverage of other legues now I don't live in Scotland but honestly think Scottish football deserves better than top gear style guffawing BANTER in the studio (the "f**k off" line in the last episode was as forced top gear style as it gets). Very "zany" student project/Soccer AM like.

That whole introduction between Telfer and the social media guy is a bit. Of course it’s forced, that’s part of the whole joke :lol:

5 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I appreciate all the comments in this thread about the first series of A View from the Terrace - as mentioned previously, it's always good to know what works well and what we can do to improve on some things going forward (and there are already some superb ideas in the pipeline for next season). It's been tremendous fun for everyone involved and I think we bowed out on a strong note on Friday night.

A new TV show about Scottish football is unlikely to please everyone, and I can accept some of the criticism in this thread and on social media, but if you think Duncan McKay's trip to Stirling Albion to work as their groundsman for the day was "pointless" then A View from the Terrace isn't for you and you should probably watch something else.

To address another point raised over the weekend, I've seen one or two comments on Twitter along the lines of "this should have been given to Si and Slaney" - would Open Goal, in its current format, benefit by being on TV? In what way would that make their product better? Open Goal can do whatever they want on YouTube, and good luck to them going forward. I don't understand why some people feel it's one or the other, A View form the Terrace or Open Goal. Kevin Kyle's comments on Friday night, made seven minutes into the show, were pretty funny, right enough. He shouldn't have deleted his original tweet; I wonder if someone had a word with him about it.

I hope to see you all in a couple of months, enjoy your summer!

Wait you can see us watching you, I better keep my pants on in future.

It's been a really enjoyable first series best of luck with the next run.

7 hours ago, JMDP said:

I was the person who said it was pointless - not really sure you can accept criticism tbh. A disappointing reaction from someone involved in the show and smacks of knowing better and the self satisfied image I alluded to. It added nothing to the understanding of his work, was a few minutes of utter beige. A Random Guy of a feature. As a Stirling fan, it was disappointing. 

As said before, seems like the show exists in a vacuum and is very self indulgent. Some beautiful short films (the Arbroath one is genuinely the best Scottish football thing I've seen in a long time) but utter cringe studio interaction.

I really enjoyed the section on the Albion. It clearly did add something to the 'understanding of his work' when Duncan struggled to paint in a straight line. A fun few minutes with the groundsman and appreciate the show coming out and filming. I quite like the fact that the two Duncan's are going round the clubs but doing something completely different every time; whether that's goalkeeper training at Stenny, tannoy announcer at Peterhead or pitch maintenance at Forthbank. It would be a boring watch if they were doing the same thing every time but at different clubs. 

You can tell it's 5 blokes who get on well and the chat on all levels of Scottish football is great. Don't find the introduction of Robert cringe in the slightest. It's meant to be light hearted for 20 seconds before moving onto the social media stuff. 

Keep up the great work Cesc. My only recommendation is continuing to film at clubs (if budget allows) throughout the country. Wouldn't mind seeing another Highland league team (maybe Wick being the furthest north) get a slot one week or possibly a Lowland league team. 

1 minute ago, dave_binos said:

I really enjoyed the section on the Albion. It clearly did add something to the 'understanding of his work' when Duncan struggled to paint in a straight line. A fun few minutes with the groundsman and appreciate the show coming out and filming. I quite like the fact that the two Duncan's are going round the clubs but doing something completely different every time; whether that's goalkeeper training at Stenny, tannoy announcer at Peterhead or pitch maintenance at Forthbank. It would be a boring watch if they were doing the same thing every time but at different clubs. 

You can tell it's 5 blokes who get on well and the chat on all levels of Scottish football is great. Don't find the introduction of Robert cringe in the slightest. It's meant to be light hearted for 20 seconds before moving onto the social media stuff. 

Keep up the great work Cesc. My only recommendation is continuing to film at clubs (if budget allows) throughout the country. Wouldn't mind seeing another Highland league team (maybe Wick being the furthest north) get a slot one week or possibly a Lowland league team. 

Fort William surely, whoever turns up may get a game.

8 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I don't mind you c***s getting abuse but somebody was slagging off the two Duncans? :angry: 

I need names, address's and if anybody has any anthrax kicking about in the shed about that would be handy. 

Edited by gannonball

9 hours ago, JMDP said:

Soccer AM like??? Guid ane pal.

As someone who despises Soccer AM, I really can't see the comparisons at all. Other than the fact that they're both shows about football.

I think some of the detractors have confused other posters disagreeing with them for censorship.

Nobody's saying you have to like it, or that you can't voice your dislike of it, but that's not going to stop us from enjoying it and disagreeing with a lot of the reasons being put forward.

As with all things, there've been segments that haven't quite executed, but over the piece it's been a really refreshing watch, IMO.

The first couple of episodes, I thought the content was great, but wasn't quite so keen on the on-couch chat. I guess that's only natural, that going from a cult following on their podcast to a nationally broadcast TV programme would bring. In future episodes, I think they really grew into it and both the content and the chat was top notch. Delighted it has been renewed for next season, it's been too long since we've had a programme which covers Scottish football in its entirety. Funnily enough, I've not heard of many Old Firm fans I know that watch it, but just about every non-OF fan raves about it, which pleases me greatly.

I do like most of the open goal content too, if I'm honest. There will be some episodes where the interviewee doesn't interest me in the slightest and I don't give it a second thought, but equally really enjoy it if the guest is good. It is probably at the stage though, where it's up to the guest to make the most of the six or seven templated questions. How were the older ones with you? Do you think that's missing from the game now? Did yees go on nights oot as a team? As for their podcast, I do find myself listening to it at times. Paul Slane is one of those guys who I really don't want to find funny, but can't help myself.

I did find Kevin Kyle's tweet on Friday to be very petty and undignified though. You wouldn't catch a panelist/pundit from BT or Sky making derogatory remarks about the other. I think you will find that guys like him, who are clinging on to their football relevance, will be anti those who "have never played the game", basically as they feel threatened by the engaging content they're producing that has been missing for too long.

Edited by crazylegsjoe

I think you're being too kind on Kevin Kyle @crazylegsjoe, he's just thick as f**k and the majority of the stuff on AVFTT will just go over his head. 

I've really enjoyed the shows that I've seen (I'd say 8 or 9 of the series).  Certainly, the studio part has got better and better as the weeks have on, and it's understandable.  They looked nervous in the early ones but have grown out of that.  Some of the features have been outstanding, I hope they continue on next season.  It's also good they've started to add in highlight clips for some of the games and teams they're talking about. 

If I agreed in anyway with the Honours system in this country, I'd be starting a campaign to get the two Duncan's knighted.  The best thing about the show, bar none.  Did anyone take a picture of the moment they were sitting with their Dunc t-shirts on?  If so, get it posted and there's every chance it's going to be my new background on my phone.  All in all, It's great we have proper football fans talking about proper Scottish football.  Very much looking forward to the next series, keep it up lads! 

As for the Open Goal stuff, it's decent.  However, as Joe says above it's purely dependant on who the guest is.  Si Ferry just has the same nine or ten questions so it's really up to the guest to make the interview good or bad.  For example, I just finished the one with Steven Fletcher who comes across really well and seems like a top guy (never realised he was from Hamilton and started off in the Motherwell youth team!) but I watched one with Russell Anderson where I had to turn it off as I was nearly falling asleep he was that boring.  

The other stuff with Paul Slane - nah, not for me.  It gets very tiresome, very quickly.  Shite #lad banter at best.  Also, I can't imagine the insight on the SPFL from Paul Slane, Derek Ferguson & Frank McAvennie to be particularly great or knowledgeable.  I'm sure that stuff is a hit with folk who listen to Clyde 1 Superscoreboard though.   

Have watched all but two of them, I think. I have found it hit and miss at times but that's what I expected TBH, not every idea is going to land for everyone. That said, it's great you've had a license to go beyond the usual formulaic cliché ridden old pish that has passed for football content on the council telly for too long, and have used it very well. The programme comes from the right ontological place, so keep experimenting.

(I'd still tighten it to 45 minutes, but that's maybe just me.)

Edited by Scorge

Just watched an espidoe of The simon ferry / Paul slane show on YouTube after seeing it mentioned on here. The guest was fuckin shell suit bob and the opening question was “do you think rangers have improved this season”. “You go to aw the games, aye?”

An absolute insult to the VFTT guys for anyone even trying to compare the two!

I think there's a place for both The Terrace and Si Ferry in mainstream Scottish football coverage tbh.  Beardy hipster studenty wanks who like Simpsons references and indie music make up a pretty sizeable portion of Scottish football fans- 99% of this forum I imagine, including me- but it's a market that's been pretty much neglected until now.

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil