A View From The Terrace.

Enjoyed it a lot again this week - and I like the fact that there is lots of obscure (compared to normal Scottish football coverage) stuff comes up.

For me, "complaining" that individual segments aren't to my taste feels a bit like the slagging that every sketch type show has always got - that it's "uneven" or "inconsistent" when in reality, it isn't. I think the nature of the type of show that it is means that no-one is going to like every aspect of it every week but there will be enough stuff that does appeal to keep me watching quite happily.

Really enjoying the show so far (full disclosure Dunc McKay is one of my mates), it’s almost jarring to see the lower leagues covered by people that actually have the first clue what happens in them.

I listen to the podcast regularly and they’ve done really well not to just regurgitate the same, or a very similar, format for the telly. Pretty much inevitable that not every segment will land I guess but for me (apart from Craig eating the burger which gave me the boak) it’s been high quality ‘content’.

Great to see things like this getting picked up and fair play to the lads for grafting for it all these years.

On 3/6/2019 at 13:13, Armand 2 said:

After witnessing the horror show that was Steven Thompson anchoring the coverage from Firhill on Monday, CGT would actually be a fine choice to present the lower league games covered by the BBC.

On 3/8/2019 at 13:05, bunglebonce said:

I've long kept the opinion to myself that some of these guys should be aiming for BBC Scotland's football broadcasting jobs.  Hopefully this can be a stepping stone to that.  Alan Temple in particular showed huge potential in the Terrace's early days.  CGT shines on camera and Shaughan has always made a great tag team with him.  My fear is that the big jobs will always go to the usual suspects, but I'd love for this show to grow and be a success.

I had wondered about this as well for the Championship games on a Friday night. Teler et al are very knowledgeable of just about everything going on in the lower tiers and they'd make a fine choice to anchor the programme instead of the jobs for the boys mob from Sportsound or Sportscene. 

I actually skipped it without realising what it was.  I thought it was just a guy singing a ballad with an acoustic guitar and I've officially had my fill of those ;).  In truth I'm a wee bit disappointed as one of the massive plus points so far has been the lack of any obvious Celtic/Rangers obsession.  

The producers of Off the Ball should watch an episode and make the executive decision to have no more former Rangers players OR Celtic supporting fans plugging books/documentaries/musicals and instead give more time to the other top tier clubs and the lower leagues.

1 hour ago, ropy said:

Never heard it before, does this get sung at Ibrox?

I think they play it over the tannoy before the game (or they did the last time I was there at the playoff game). The week before, I listened to Sunshine on Leith 3 times as I thought it was a really good version - couldn't bring myself to like this one I have to say :)

Edited by Swello

I enjoyed it. 

Great to hear about the lower leagues in some detail. 

Great feature on women's football - hope to see many more. Could be an interesting one done on Aberdeen's team now they have been fully incoporated into the club. 

Cult heroes was great. 

Please never repeat the burger scene. 

Also as soon as I heard what the last section was about couldn't hit fast forward soon enough boak. 

Really willing that this show becomes a permanent feature, this is what the Scottish game really needs. 

An intelligent football show miles away from celtic supporting “personalities“ plugging books and shows. 

Edited by jessmagic

I didn't enjoy this one as much as the first episode, but to be fair that's probably because I was tired when watching it and the weird Albion Rovers thing just annoyed me. 

Still, I liked the wee cartoon bits in between with the guys talking over (I assume these were bits from the Podcast?) and the feature with Hibs Ladies player was really good.  Very much agreed with the theory that some players are simply too talented and successful to ever be a Cult Hero (Rudi Skacel a great example of that). 

It's taken me until the second episode, so I'm a bit behind many others on this, but Craig Telfer is a fucking handsome laddie, isn't he?

I didn't mind the alternative timelines section. I mean it was absolute nonsense but entertaining nonetheless. I can see why folk weren't into it but I suppose it's all a bit of a learning curve.

I'm looking forward to the return of Put a Shift In particularly, and I'm sure they'll have taken the criticism on board. 

Also please don't eat any more burgers on air. 

I didn't mind the alternative timelines section. I mean it was absolute nonsense but entertaining nonetheless. I can see why folk weren't into it but I suppose it's all a bit of a learning curve.
I'm looking forward to the return of Put a Shift In particularly, and I'm sure they'll have taken the criticism on board. 
[/b]Also please don't eat any more burgers on air. [/b]

Combined with the slurping that followed it, Craig should receive a two-week ban at the very least.v

I find it fairly humorous how many people want the show to be shorter. No lower league telly coverage at all for years and now one hour a week is too much? Loving the segments - if one isn't very good there will be another one along in a few minutes.