Peterhead v Elgin

another cup final for us.

no Sutherland tomorrow, so presume Lyle and Rory up front which isn't a bad choice.

thought Lyle has done well coming off the bench in recent games, just wondering if there's 90mins in him.

c'mon the toon

I said prior to the previous game that by the law of averages we are due a win against Peterhead but can’t see it being tomorrow! I can’t see us conceding less than 3 with our defence and despite the fighting qualities we have shown of late that is too big a hurdle to overcome.

With no wind we go for short corners that dont get past the 1st defender. Gale of wind and we take them long so they land up going out of play at the corner flag at the opposite side of goal.

Free kicks that need placing gets wellied so once the wind gets behind it the ball goes out the park.

You would think our players would get used to playing with wind.

Barely a football brain amongst them.

Some cracking saves from the Elgin keeper.

Thought Elgin put in a good shift today and in some ways were unlucky not to take something from the game. Not withstanding Gourlay had 3 cracking saves.  We defended well enough although again there goal was poor defending on our behalf, failing to clear our lines and Peterhead were poor attacking with the wind. I thought JP had a very good game and have been quite impressed with Mcivor whenever I’ve seen him. I think he is a bit one paced to be a full time player but he has a good touch and links play well. How frustrating must Mcleish be to play with?

12 hours ago, Thom & Gerry said:

Thought Elgin put in a good shift today and in some ways were unlucky not to take something from the game. Not withstanding Gourlay had 3 cracking saves.  We defended well enough although again there goal was poor defending on our behalf, failing to clear our lines and Peterhead were poor attacking with the wind. I thought JP had a very good game and have been quite impressed with Mcivor whenever I’ve seen him. I think he is a bit one paced to be a full time player but he has a good touch and links play well. How frustrating must Mcleish be to play with?

You might have got on better if your No. 7 tried to stay off the turf.  I know it was windy but he appeared to only get blown over when he had the ball at his feet.  Unfortunately encouraged by the officials.

17 minutes ago, strichener said:

You might have got on better if your No. 7 tried to stay off the turf.  I know it was windy but he appeared to only get blown over when he had the ball at his feet.  Unfortunately encouraged by the officials.

Omar always tries it on. The ref is always a nightmare really stamped his authority when we got a freekick in the 2nd half the ref marked where the ball had to go then paced off where the wall should be & sprayed his line about 2 feet behind where the Elgin players were but did not move them to the mark before the kick was taken despite our players pointing it out. Hope the mystery yellow card that Rory got from him. Another win but you wonder how long we can get away with playing poorly for periods in games.

Is that not what most players do? Mcallister, Stevenson twice, Gibson, Brown, Omar and Lowdon all did the same thing in a 15 minute period. Depends where you are looking from when talking about refs, I thought he didn’t do Elgin any favours and missed a handball for a pen in second half. 

How can you say we defended well when we can’t defend to save ourselves. Same all season.

Nobody been more critical of our defending this season than me. In this particular game we defended well enough all things considered, given the team we were playing and into a howling gale in the second half. The goal was a mistake but at HT was fearing it could be another 7-0.

I know although in fairness to them I thought yesterday we worked quite a few good positions but it time and again broke down at our centre forward which invited pressure on the defence. I don’t know why Morrison does not get a run through the middle and especially now that Hester looks likely to be out for a while.

Archived