Most Games in a Season / more Cup than League

HibeeJibee

I think an old thread about this died in Div's cull some years ago.

Dundee Utd are thought to jointly hold (with Arsenal and Stoke) the European record for most games played in a season, at 70... this was in 1986-87, when they reached the UEFA, Scottish and Forfarshire Cup finals, the League Cup SFs, and played 44 league games. Rangers fulfilled 68 games back in 2007-08, when they reached the Scottish, League and UEFA cup finals and played 38 league games. It "only" took 62 games for Celtic to win their quintuple in 1966-67 but almost as many were cup-ties (28) as league games (34). Back-in-the-day there were more cups, replays, 2nd legs, etc.

I'm not considering non-league football as there were some ridiculous arrangements before the war... for 2 seasons in the 1930s the Central Junior League ran July to June, with 26 clubs playing 50 league games, and teams played every night of the week whilst light allowed and sometimes 2 games in 1 day to finish.

Are there many more instances of clubs playing 60+ games in a season?

What about actually playing more cup-ties than league games? (At least since the First World War - as before that the divisions were usually only 18/22 games).

My records (for now) don't include any regional cup competitions, but even without those I've come across a handful.

1965/66 - Celtic (60)
1971/72 - Celtic (61)
1972/73 - Celtic (61)
1973/74 - Celtic (64)
1978/79 - Rangers (61)
1981/82 - Dundee United (60)
1982/83 - Aberdeen (60)
1983/84 - Aberdeen (63)
1986/87 - Dundee United (67)
1987/88 - Dundee United (60)
1992/93 - Rangers (64)
2002/03 - Celtic (60)
2003/04 - Celtic (61)
2007/08 - Rangers (68)
2014/15 - Celtic (61)
2017/18 - Celtic (61)

In terms of playing more cup games than league games, I don't think that has ever been done post-war (again, not including regional cup competitions).

9 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

I think an old thread about this died in Div's cull some years ago.

Dundee Utd are thought to jointly hold (with Arsenal and Stoke) the European record for most games played in a season, at 70... this was in 1986-87, when they reached the UEFA, Scottish and Forfarshire Cup finals, the League Cup SFs, and played 44 league games. Rangers fulfilled 68 games back in 2007-08, when they reached the Scottish, League and UEFA cup finals and played 38 league games. It "only" took 62 games for Celtic to win their quintuple in 1966-67 but almost as many were cup-ties (28) as league games (34). Back-in-the-day there were more cups, replays, 2nd legs, etc.

I'm not considering non-league football as there were some ridiculous arrangements before the war... for 2 seasons in the 1930s the Central Junior League ran July to June, with 26 clubs playing 50 league games, and teams played every night of the week whilst light allowed and sometimes 2 games in 1 day to finish.

Are there many more instances of clubs playing 60+ games in a season?

What about actually playing more cup-ties than league games? (At least since the First World War - as before that the divisions were usually only 18/22 games).

A belated congratulations to The Arabs on winning the Forfarshire Cup that year. Soz about all the rest.

38 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

A belated congratulations to The Arabs on winning the Forfarshire Cup that year. Soz about all the rest.

Always knew as bad one. During the 80's (when you had hair) was better than the European cup of money.

4 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Those were the days indeed. I could've passed for one of Bon Jovi.

I would have agreed but they were very nice looking lads. Try again.

2 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Ok, from a distance...about a mile...in the dark.

Very sexy. Is that the same gear were wearing at The Becks (David does not like) shower time?

17 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

You've lost me now Slips.

I actually just made it up. I was more Mick Jones from The Clash...apart from the talent and good taste. 

I doubt this thread has gine the way HJ envisaged.

I'm sure HJ would love to hear about they clash. ok I think it was 78 games, inducing friendlies?  

18 hours ago, craigkillie said:

My records (for now) don't include any regional cup competitions, but even without those I've come across a handful.

1965/66 - Celtic (60)    

1971/72 - Celtic (61)
1972/73 - Celtic (61)
1973/74 - Celtic (64)
1978/79 - Rangers (61)     63 including 2 in Glasgow Cup

1981/82 - Dundee United (60)
1982/83 - Aberdeen (60)
1983/84 - Aberdeen (63)
1986/87 - Dundee United (67)     70 including 3 in Forfarshire Cup
1987/88 - Dundee United (60)     63 including 3 in Forfarshire Cup

1992/93 - Rangers (64)

2002/03 - Celtic (60)
2003/04 - Celtic (61)
2007/08 - Rangers (68)
2014/15 - Celtic (61)
2017/18 - Celtic (61)

In terms of playing more cup games than league games, I don't think that has ever been done post-war (again, not including regional cup competitions).

That's interesting. I've added the Glasgow (until reduced to U18s) and Forfarshire cup totals to your totals in the post above. Do your stats include the St Mungo, Summer or Drybrough cups?

15 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

That's interesting. I've added the Glasgow (until reduced to U18s) and Forfarshire cup totals to your totals in the post above. Do your stats include the St Mungo, Summer or Drybrough cups?

I have the Spring Cup, Summer Cup, Drybrough Cup, Texaco Cup and Anglo-Scottish Cup at the moment. The rest will gradually get added in.

Good stuff. If you are restricting yourself to 'official' national tournaments, then of course you also have the B Division Supplementary Cup... and the Victory Cups, War Emergency Cup of 1939-40, War Shield (1917-18 only) and Scottish Charity Cup of 1890-91 were all SFA or SFL tournaments. Eastern + Western leagues of 1939-40 were SFL.

St Mungo Cup and Quaich were run by Glasgow FA but were nationwide and the Quaich replaced the B Division Supplementary Cup that year.

Internationally you also have the Anglo-Franco-Scottish Friendship Cup which was endorsed by SFL.

EDIT: Pre-WWI clubs often played in 2 or occasionally 3 leagues, and the Inter-City League (plus abortive Inter-City Midweek League of 1912-13) were nationwide.

Back then some Scottish League clubs (even top division) had to enter Scottish Qualifying Cup, and could end-up in Consolation Cup. Meadowbank also had to qualify in 1974-75.

Just having a quick look and noticed that Eammon Bannon played 60 matches and David Narey played 58 in 1981/82. Willie Miller played 60 matches in each of the next two seasons (missing only 2).
Will we see the like again?

Do those totals include internationals? Carlos Cuellar played 65 out of 68 games for Rangers in 2007-08.

Barry Ferguson and David Weir both played 66 games for Rangers plus Scotland that season. Even looking at Celtic last season James Forrest played 63 games, Callum McGregor played 59 games, Kieran Tierney 60 games and Scott Brown 58 games for Celtic plus Scotland.

AFAICS no player has played 60+ for club alone since that Rangers triumvirate in 2007-08. Closest have been Forrest last season and Izaguirre and van Dijk in 2014-15 who played 58 games. (Izaguirre also seems to have turned-out 9 times for Honduras that season for 67 in total).

If they reach Scottish Cup Final and play every remaining game McGregor can play 60 Celtic games + Forrest 58 this season.... add internationals (with March & June) maximum 70 + 66.

Sammy Lee was thought to hold the English (and probably European) record at top level: he played 74 games for Liverpool plus England in 1983-84 and notably they didn't even qualify for Euro 1984!

EDIT: Looks like 2 Celta Vigo players were thereabouts in 2010-11. Mata equalled Lee in 2012-13, or surpassed it on 78 including Olympics. Oscar surpassed it on 80 on 86 if include Olympics, which is mind-boggling.

Somehow they seem more glamorous than Sammy Lee...

Archived