Progressive transport Scotland.

Billy Rubin

There's so much doom a gloom on the news.   Brexit this, Brexit that.   Stories about child abuse and natural disasters.    Good news seems harder than ever to find which is why I'm linking this transport study from the SG.   This is a clear indication the economy is recovering if we're moving away from archaic transport methods like the bike or autobus.   It's not 1975 FFS kids!     100 million Scots taken out of transport poverty and a 6% reduction in those forced into cycling is a cause for celebration.     I can't be the only one that dreams of the day where you need a museum visit to view a bus?   A day where the pushbike is as moribund as horse and carriage in this day and age,   

Have any P & B members been on a bus this millennium?   

In the spirit of the thead, has anyone recently traded in their push bike for a 3 door hatchback ? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-47388550

16 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Well if it helps you sleep any , i cycle frequently and with all the gear on too but i mostly just go out in a loop for training and fitness reasons. I very rarely use it to get from A to B . Just think all that traffic holding up to go nowhere !

You'll grow out it mate.    Do you bus?   

2 hours ago, Billy Rubin said:

There's so much doom a gloom on the news.   Brexit this, Brexit that.   Stories about child abuse and natural disasters.    Good news seems harder than ever to find which is why I'm linking this transport study from the SG.   This is a clear indication the economy is recovering if we're moving away from archaic transport methods like the bike or autobus.   It's not 1975 FFS kids!     100 million Scots taken out of transport poverty and a 6% reduction in those forced into cycling is a cause for celebration.     I can't be the only one that dreams of the day where you need a museum visit to view a bus?   A day where the pushbike is as moribund as horse and carriage in this day and age,   

Have any P & B members been on a bus this millennium?   

In the spirit of the thead, has anyone recently traded in their push bike for a 3 door hatchback ? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-47388550

You really want to see the planet burn don't you? People using their cars for journeys like commuting especially in Edinburgh which has the best bus system in the country (and is far from archaic), is contributing massively to our emissions, I used to commute by car and I and hundreds of others must sit alone in a car build for 4,5 or 7 people clogging up the roads, when a bus or train is often faster, cleaner and might even be more reliable.

I don't often use the bus, but get a train everyday and sometimes use the tram. Busses in Glasgow are awful and this is probably why journeys are on the decline coupled with increased car ownership obviously. In Luxembourg they are introducing free public transport and across Europe their public transfer systems are very heavily subsidised does this mean they are all in transport poverty?

I accept that this is probably a giant fishing trip for you but I guarantee there will be people who actually think like this. The less we use our cars the better it will be for our health, our planet and our economy as using public transport keeps people in employment.

6 minutes ago, Adam101 said:

You really want to see the planet burn don't you? People using their cars for journeys like commuting especially in Edinburgh which has the best bus system in the country (and is far from archaic), is contributing massively to our emissions, I used to commute by car and I and hundreds of others must sit alone in a car build for 4,5 or 7 people clogging up the roads, when a bus or train is often faster, cleaner and might even be more reliable.

I don't often use the bus, but get a train everyday and sometimes use the tram. Busses in Glasgow are awful and this is probably why journeys are on the decline coupled with increased car ownership obviously. In Luxembourg they are introducing free public transport and across Europe their public transfer systems are very heavily subsidised does this mean they are all in transport poverty?

I accept that this is probably a giant fishing trip for you but I guarantee there will be people who actually think like this. The less we use our cars the better it will be for our health, our planet and our economy as using public transport keeps people in employment.

That was a partly political broadcast for the Green party.   

Back in the real world the love affair with the car won't be slowing down ( not even if your 20 zones in Edinburgh ) and I commute 4 times a week into our disappointing capital city.     Emissions are falling and will continue to fall (  I pay £30 VeD) and this will continue as we move into electric, hybrids, and technology continues to advance.     There's also the issue of self-veneration:   From your post it's clear you've been able to make the transition from driving your motorcar to public transport without and psychological adversities.    Sure as night fallows day I wouldn't work if I was forced into public transport.   Instead I arrive refreshed from the enjoyment of the morning commute and arrive with a 'can do' attitude.    

Cars are unquestionably better for our health.   Cars are great for government coffers - given you pay fuel duties and VAT on every tankful.    Car production plants, fast fitters, proper garages and salesmen massively enhance the economy because as we all know private sector jobs drives the economy.    

As for trams - I often joke they are the carbon Monoxide of the transport network as both a silent killers.   It's not a great joke but its my joke and I like it.   

8 hours ago, Billy Rubin said:

That was a partly political broadcast for the Green party.   

Back in the real world the love affair with the car won't be slowing down ( not even if your 20 zones in Edinburgh ) and I commute 4 times a week into our disappointing capital city.     Emissions are falling and will continue to fall (  I pay £30 VeD) and this will continue as we move into electric, hybrids, and technology continues to advance.     There's also the issue of self-veneration:   From your post it's clear you've been able to make the transition from driving your motorcar to public transport without and psychological adversities.    Sure as night fallows day I wouldn't work if I was forced into public transport.   Instead I arrive refreshed from the enjoyment of the morning commute and arrive with a 'can do' attitude.    

Cars are unquestionably better for our health.   Cars are great for government coffers - given you pay fuel duties and VAT on every tankful.    Car production plants, fast fitters, proper garages and salesmen massively enhance the economy because as we all know private sector jobs drives the economy.    

As for trams - I often joke they are the carbon Monoxide of the transport network as both a silent killers.   It's not a great joke but its my joke and I like it.   

I like driving my car and I like owning a car, I didn't like driving to work it was an utter chore, I'd much rather be driven to work on a much faster train, sometimes it would take 90 mins to get to work now I can do it in 30. Emissions aren't really falling though are they the manufacturing process for the batteries of cars is still horrific for the planet whereas trams and some trains take their power directly from the mains, hopefully one day that will be entirely generated by renewable sources 

How are cars better for your health you get in it a few steps from your house and probably get out of it with a few steps to your place if work, public transport requires more walking probably twice as much as using a car.

Of course cars benefit the economy however in your distopian world where noone uses any other form of transport  that would have a negative effect on the economy as most people own a car so I doubt car ownership would rise massively fuel duty would bring in more cash but other sectors mentioned are unlikely to rocket.

Trams have sadly run over one person however when crossing a tramway paying attention is paramount.

Hydrogen vehicles are the way we should be going

26 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

Normally only have cereal for breakfast, treated myself to some toast this morning.

No way !!! I did the exact same thing this morning, are we long lost sisters or something ? I will be phoning Cilla Black to arrange a Surprise Surprise P'n'B Special 

3 hours ago, Adam101 said:

I like driving my car and I like owning a car, I didn't like driving to work it was an utter chore, I'd much rather be driven to work on a much faster train, sometimes it would take 90 mins to get to work now I can do it in 30. Emissions aren't really falling though are they the manufacturing process for the batteries of cars is still horrific for the planet whereas trams and some trains take their power directly from the mains, hopefully one day that will be entirely generated by renewable sources 

How are cars better for your health you get in it a few steps from your house and probably get out of it with a few steps to your place if work, public transport requires more walking probably twice as much as using a car.

Of course cars benefit the economy however in your distopian world where noone uses any other form of transport  that would have a negative effect on the economy as most people own a car so I doubt car ownership would rise massively fuel duty would bring in more cash but other sectors mentioned are unlikely to rocket.

Trams have sadly run over one person however when crossing a tramway paying attention is paramount.

Hydrogen vehicles are the way we should be going

I'm glad you like driving your car.    I like driving my car.    I like driving it to work, to the shop, to the beach, to the golf course, to the airport, and also to the gym.   Sadly we're on a slippery slope where illogical "You'll burn the world" crusaders like yourself are targeting normal folk with cars, not with any sensible facts about emissions, but with an air of jealousy.     20 years ago you would get a congratulations card for passing the UK driving test, 10 years ago a Facebook 'like'.    These days we have folk like yourself getting bend out of shape because the successful candidate has bettered his or her ( could be a girl ) life!      I take enormous pride in the amount of new motorists we have on our roads and the excellent safety record outlined in the transport Scotland study.    

If you were genuinely interested in alleviating congestion then the most practical and cost effective measure would be to close all bus lanes.    The idea you can have 100 cars in the right lane and 2 in the left lane is a very poor use of dual carriageway.    Spread the cars equally and congestion would dramatically decrease.     This isn't trolling - its just factual.   

It doesn't mean that buses cannot play a part in our transport mix - but thinking need to evolve.   I've actually used the tram which you take into Edinburgh from Bankhead into York Place and it's pretty quick.   The reason why it's pretty quick is the majority of the journey is away from the roads.   For bus travel into town to succeed they need to take a similar approach.   Something like the western approach road extending out to Gogarburn, where it can only be used by buses, and the bus stop a max of twice.    We currently have a system where bus travel is failing people and the car is making folk smile.   And that's even folk that don't have a built in DAB radio.  

3 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

How long do you think you'll last this time before making homophobic jokes or start trolling the cycling thread again?

Why would I make a homophobic joke?     You banned me for quoting a line from Mid morning matters a TV show featuring Steven Coogan as Alan Gordon Partridge.   

10 hours ago, Billy Rubin said:

I'm glad you like driving your car.    I like driving my car.    I like driving it to work, to the shop, to the beach, to the golf course, to the airport, and also to the gym.   Sadly we're on a slippery slope where illogical "You'll burn the world" crusaders like yourself are targeting normal folk with cars, not with any sensible facts about emissions, but with an air of jealousy.     20 years ago you would get a congratulations card for passing the UK driving test, 10 years ago a Facebook 'like'.    These days we have folk like yourself getting bend out of shape because the successful candidate has bettered his or her ( could be a girl ) life!      I take enormous pride in the amount of new motorists we have on our roads and the excellent safety record outlined in the transport Scotland study.    

If you were genuinely interested in alleviating congestion then the most practical and cost effective measure would be to close all bus lanes.    The idea you can have 100 cars in the right lane and 2 in the left lane is a very poor use of dual carriageway.    Spread the cars equally and congestion would dramatically decrease.     This isn't trolling - its just factual.   

It doesn't mean that buses cannot play a part in our transport mix - but thinking need to evolve.   I've actually used the tram which you take into Edinburgh from Bankhead into York Place and it's pretty quick.   The reason why it's pretty quick is the majority of the journey is away from the roads.   For bus travel into town to succeed they need to take a similar approach.   Something like the western approach road extending out to Gogarburn, where it can only be used by buses, and the bus stop a max of twice.    We currently have a system where bus travel is failing people and the car is making folk smile.   And that's even folk that don't have a built in DAB radio.  

Jealousy? You're way off with that one. I would never criticise anyone for passing their test, however as drivers we all ought to reduce pointless journeys, I know folk who drive their car to the station which is at best a 10 min walk, surely we agree that is utterly wasteful of the car and the fuel that powers it.

Why would anyone get the bus if they are going to sit in the same traffic jam? Its designed to make bus travel more desirable which I think it does. You're right the tram is the fastest moving piece of transport in the city especially on the run to Saughton it hits about 50 mph. 

Drive a car can make you smile I doubt many folk are smiling if they travel during the peak hour and a half from Fife to Edinburgh DAB or not

Archived