Stranraer v Raith Rovers

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On a side note, it's utterly infuriating that Rovers (among other teams) get the ball at kickoff, play it back and then launch it into the channel for a winger to try to chase. It usually ends up with the ball going out, and an opposition throw, with a complete waste of possession. 
This tends to be the standard procedure for 90% of teams at this level and I always find it baffling. It's almost like it's part of the rules given how often you see it happening.

21 hours ago, Scottydog said:

I thought the rule was that if the ball strikes part of the body that it is illegal to play the ball with and prevents an advantage then it's a foul, no?

The handball has to be deliberate, whether that involves the player deliberately moving his hand towards the ball or deliberately uses his arms/hands to make his body bigger then it's a handball.  For that pen, the player is trying to block the shot and his arms are out as he's going to hit the ground, I don't see any deliberate movement towards the ball (because it's a shot from a yard away) nor do I see that as him making himself bigger deliberately - he's falling to the ground and his arms are naturally in that position.

In relation to natural position it doesn't work like that nowadays. A couple of weeks ago in a real Madrid game the guy instinctively put his arm over his face to stop a cross from a few yards away hitting him square in the face. Penalty was give. It was classed as unnatural to be hit in the face without any instinctive reaction.

15 hours ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Whether it was deliberate or not, if it wasn’t for the guys hand, it was likely in the back of the net. Deserved imo.

What a load of nonsense,if that had been given against McGlynn we would still be at the press conference:thumbsdown

1 hour ago, foreverarover said:

In relation to natural position it doesn't work like that nowadays. A couple of weeks ago in a real Madrid game the guy instinctively put his arm over his face to stop a cross from a few yards away hitting him square in the face. Penalty was give. It was classed as unnatural to be hit in the face without any instinctive reaction.

Eh? Its not natural for your arm to cover your face, of course it was given.

1 hour ago, Beachbum said:

Is he falling to the ground? Looks like a poor attempt at a block.

hrZBhXp.gif

He's sliding to block the shot, if anyone can show me how you slide without an arm going down naturally then I'll maybe accept this is deliberate.

26 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

He's sliding to block the shot, if anyone can show me how you slide without an arm going down naturally then I'll maybe accept this is deliberate.

Just accept the decision. You've gained two points on a team just below you because of it :thumsup2

On a side note, it's utterly infuriating that Rovers (among other teams) get the ball at kickoff, play it back and then launch it into the channel for a winger to try to chase. It usually ends up with the ball going out, and an opposition throw, with a complete waste of possession. 
Not as infuriating as our favoured straight-off-the-training-ground ball from keeper' hands to centre half, received at full back position. 2 things happen, and only 2.

1. We fanny about passing sideways and towards a midfielder, who has come short to receive and brought the opposition with him, resulting in us being immediately under pressure and likely getting clattered / losing possession.

2. The centre half, from the full back position, launches it over midfield to our forwards, who have come short etc (see above) or wide to a sand dancing winger, inevitably missing both, no matter which option is selected.

Rips my knitting.

The more times I see it, the more I think he could get a game with the Harlem Globetrotters.

It's not so much that it hits an arm more that it slips out of both hands, he's lucky he was facing backwards or the ref might have blown for a knock on too!

4 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Any keeper would have been proud of that.

Archived