Pars vs Queens

Whay exactly has changed that we've stopped leaking any goals at all? Are we playing deeper, getting more bodies back in general or something else?
I haven't watched a full game since the cup game so can only go on highlights, which are hard to gauge from.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

Whay exactly has changed that we've stopped leaking any goals at all? Are we playing deeper, getting more bodies back in general or something else?
I haven't watched a full game since the cup game so can only go on highlights, which are hard to gauge from.

Generally getting more bodies near to the ball.  We're playing alot more compact

5 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Do you not think the keeper should have done a bit better? Thought it was a belter at first but looking at the highlights it seems to sneak under his glove.

From my vantage point (200 yards away) I  was surprised it went in, it seemed a bit of a ‘daisy cutter’. Not seen highlights yet.....

2 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Do you not think the keeper should have done a bit better? Thought it was a belter at first but looking at the highlights it seems to sneak under his glove.

With it being driven so low and hard it's generally quite difficult for a keeper to propel himself and get down to it, if the ball was a foot higher the keeper probably would've had it. 

If the keeper pulls that off we're hailing it as an incredible (at this level) save, so for that I wouldn't blame him. 

Spoke with people who were sat in the Norrie and they've said that it was in the whole way so not sure that the keeper could have done much. On a side note, never really rated Martin as a goalie one bit.

Davidson and Shields have got us playing no nonsense defending, don't try anything fancy, if ball needs to be put in row Z so be it. Scully also seems to be organising the defence well and is commanding his area

13 hours ago, mikedafc said:

Davidson and Shields have got us playing no nonsense defending, don't try anything fancy, if ball needs to be put in row Z so be it. Scully also seems to be organising the defence well and is commanding his area

What is this goalie commanding his area thing that you speak of? We have one here at Palmerston who needs taught in this mystic art. 

On 04/03/2019 at 06:40, Stellaboz said:

The shape's changed. The full backs tuck in and more defending expected of wider midfielders. Dull to watch but effective of late.

17 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Alan Martin looks on the heavy side and it's a long stretch. I think a lot of keepers save it. At the time I thought it must have been well placed right into the corner but the highlights show otherwise.

20 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

18 hours ago, Rob1885 said:

Spoke with people who were sat in the Norrie and they've said that it was in the whole way so not sure that the keeper could have done much. On a side note, never really rated Martin as a goalie one bit.

2 hours ago, ShaggysBeard said:

Alan Martin looks on the heavy side and it's a long stretch. I think a lot of keepers save it. At the time I thought it must have been well placed right into the corner but the highlights show otherwise.

Alan Martin. 

I`m one of his (many) critics within our support but i think it`s harsh to blame him for the goal on Saturday.

Well documented that we were pleased to get him and from memory he was very highly rated by Dumbarton fans but IMHO he`s not good enough for this level. His confidence seems absolutely shot.

On 3/4/2019 at 06:40, Stellaboz said:

Bungs mate. Big ones. Better than spunking money on shitey loan signings from Hearts. 

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

Slightly harsh on Blair here, he's hit it really sweet.

It's a decent strike but it bounces twice before it even reaches Martin. I'd be disappointed if we conceded a goal like that.

The goal Thomson scored against Caley was far worse goalkeeping but I'll take the goals any way we can get them.

On 05/03/2019 at 11:56, Distant Doonhamer said:

Alan Martin. 

I`m one of his (many) critics within our support but i think it`s harsh to blame him for the goal on Saturday.

Well documented that we were pleased to get him and from memory he was very highly rated by Dumbarton fans but IMHO he`s not good enough for this level. His confidence seems absolutely shot.

He's out of contract in the summer, isn't he? 

Best goalkeeper we've had in my lifetime, and I include Danny Rogers in that. He played through injury almost all season for us and still cleared up everything at the POTY awards. Part of me does wonder if playing through the pain is actually what's gubbed him at Queens though - iirc he spent a lot of last season out injured, didn't he?

I actually bought his top from his season with us on Saturday. I'd be willing to cycle to Dumfries on a unicycle to bring him back :wub:

He's out of contract in the summer, isn't he? 
Best goalkeeper we've had in my lifetime, and I include Danny Rogers in that. He played through injury almost all season for us and still cleared up everything at the POTY awards. Part of me does wonder if playing through the pain is actually what's gubbed him at Queens though - iirc he spent a lot of last season out injured, didn't he?
I actually bought his top from his season with us on Saturday. I'd be willing to cycle to Dumfries on a unicycle to bring him back :wub:
We've seen in glimses what he's capable of. He's made some terrific saves in his time. The biggest problem has been his inability to command his box (in the air). A lot of 'keepers are the same but will get away with it with a good defence in front of him. Unfortunately for him our side is pretty woeful at defending crosses so it only highlights his failings.

I doubt he'll be with us next term and I'll be surprised if teams are all trying to get his signature next season, the way they were when he signed for us. We've had far worse 'keepers, but he won't be anywhere near our best 11 either.

Archived