El Disastrico; Albion Rovers v. Berwick Rangers

1 hour ago, berwick-the-unbeatable said:

I've said this for I don't know how long but half the issue for me is that so much is pinned on or expected of whoever is the chairman. At the minute they are the person in power to the point that it's as though we operate with Madrid's presidential model.

The leadership ability of anyone in that role is clearly key in getting the most out of the rest of the board (or at least should be), but at the moment what we lack more than anything is a functioning and talented board of directors who are responsible and accountable for different areas of a strategy to take us forward, much as has just been mentioned above.

There can't be room for passengers - simply wanting the best for the club doesn't distinguish you from any other fan. It needs to be a committed group with a diverse range of expertise and the time to push us forward. Clearly they're not all that easy to find, but I don't for a second think there isn't better than we've had out there.

Ultimately for me though, and as much as he goes into the role with my best wishes and hopes, John can achieve f**k all without a team around him who are capable of enabling his vision. I'd say the same for anyone else who may occupy the role. A total takeover might be the unrealistic dream, the above should be an achievable change.

Agree. 

For clarity, I'm not suggesting that JB is in himself the answer to our woes. Just that I think he  will prioritise skilled and hopefully wealthy people to get on board. People that bring something to the table other than a round of drinks. 

Can't be pestered to look for it, but I rember being impressed with the ideas in his pitch to become Chairman a couple of years ago. 

You mean directors with enough money to spend on the club or directors that can fundraise the money.
Yes and no. Of course that should be part of the criteria you want within that board, but money without direction has very much been a part of the journey to where we are today.

Why haven’t we went down the route of installing and artificial surface. There is nothing of the like in the town/area, so the revenue that would generate from midweek lets would be huge also the cost savings that we pay for letting out Haddington every tues/thurs. then the difference in hospitality sales / attendances  from a saturday in comparison to rearranged midweek fixtures. And I would imagine there are a stack load of other pros but that’s just a couple. 

2 hours ago, Fergie1 said:

Why haven’t we went down the route of installing and artificial surface. There is nothing of the like in the town/area, so the revenue that would generate from midweek lets would be huge also the cost savings that we pay for letting out Haddington every tues/thurs. then the difference in hospitality sales / attendances  from a saturday in comparison to rearranged midweek fixtures. And I would imagine there are a stack load of other pros but that’s just a couple. 

Astroturf is a disaster to play on, more likely to cause injuries, and terribly unpopular with players (a large number of pro clubs in my country use this surface). The stuff should be outlawed in all honesty, and might be the deciding factor in players opting not to sign with Berwick (yes, they sign with Edinburgh City and Hamilton Accies, but those have money and Premiership membership respectively).

That being said, there are still serious upsides to artificial playing surfaces as you mentioned.

Astroturf is a disaster to play on, more likely to cause injuries, and terribly unpopular with players (a large number of pro clubs in my country use this surface). The stuff should be outlawed in all honesty, and might be the deciding factor in players opting not to sign with Berwick (yes, they sign with Edinburgh City and Hamilton Accies, but those have money and Premiership membership respectively).
That being said, there are still serious upsides to artificial playing surfaces as you mentioned.
You do realise that a lot of lower league clubs in Scotland have plastic pitches? Not just Hamilton and Edinburgh.

You aren't any more likely to get injured on a plastic pitch compared to grass. A good grass pitch is better than plastic but at this level some of the grass pitches aren't all that great.

In our league you have Clyde, Edin city, Annan, (next season QP). And take a look at league 1 there are six clubs with it. That would be a lot more than the 2 you mentioned. And granted they may not be the preference to a lot of players over grass but my point was they bring in great funds for the club and I’m sure if it came down to money or a grass pitch I’m pretty certain what most players at our level would choose. And if they would like to play on mud baths like Saturday or even our bobbly surface again I’m pretty sure what they would go for. 

As to the cost, half a million pound mark is probably for the installation of an artificial pitch from scratch including flood lights, perimeter fencing etc. We would simply just be replacing the pitch as we already have everything in place. I would imagaine it would be closer to 250,000.

48 minutes ago, Fergie1 said:

In our league you have Clyde, Edin city, Annan, (next season QP). And take a look at league 1 there are six clubs with it. That would be a lot more than the 2 you mentioned. And granted they may not be the preference to a lot of players over grass but my point was they bring in great funds for the club and I’m sure if it came down to money or a grass pitch I’m pretty certain what most players at our level would choose. And if they would like to play on mud baths like Saturday or even our bobbly surface again I’m pretty sure what they would go for. 

As to the cost, half a million pound mark is probably for the installation of an artificial pitch from scratch including flood lights, perimeter fencing etc. We would simply just be replacing the pitch as we already have everything in place. I would imagaine it would be closer to 250,000.

If we move, yes but it would cost closer to Brian's figure when you take land preparation, groundwork, drainage plus we have one of the biggest gradients end to end in the football pyramid so you'd have to flatten the land before you lay anything, and none of the others you mentioned have a speedway track around the outside. JB has put forward proposals for a brand new ground but the incumbent local council don't approve as it's in East Ord, Northumberland have their own active health company with plans of their own (full size pitch not included)  and the SFA wont approve a grant for an English ground.  you're  a bit late to the party with this one

• 1 month later...
In the end a priceless point for Berwick. League status is confirmed for at least another season. Phew. Things will need to drastically improve for next season though because nobody as bad as Albion will be in the league then. For now though, a good result. 
Don't panic your safe Rovers have taken 8 points out of a possible 81 so far the need at least the same from their last 9 games to overall Berwick assuming that you lose all your remaining games which I don't expect either to happen.
Today was the last chance saloon for them.
Funny how things turn out eh.

On 05/03/2019 at 13:04, DutchBorderer said:

Astroturf is a disaster to play on, more likely to cause injuries, and terribly unpopular with players (a large number of pro clubs in my country use this surface). The stuff should be outlawed in all honesty, and might be the deciding factor in players opting not to sign with

Can you show some working? This is completely made up. 

3 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Funny how things turn out eh.

It certainly is back in March when I made my post you would have got fantastic odds on Rovers staying up. Fair play to them and Kevin Harper turning things around he probably should be manager of the year for the division.

Edited by cowdenbeath

3 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

It certainly is back in March when I made my post you would have got fantastic odds on Rovers staying up. Fair play to them and Kevin Harper turning things around he probably should be manager of the year for the division.

Managerial statistics[edit]

As of match played 27 April 2019
Team Nat From To Record
G W D L GF GA GD Win %
Albion Rovers Scotland November 2018 present 23 5 5 13 20 43 −23 21.74
Total 23 5 5 13 20 43 −23 21.74

8 hours ago, The_Judge said:

Managerial statistics[edit]

As of match played 27 April 2019
Team Nat From To Record
G W D L GF GA GD Win %
Albion Rovers Scotland November 2018 present 23 5 5 13 20 43 −23 21.74
Total 23 5 5 13 20 43 −23 21.74

I suppose that does look bang average when set in a table but even in his early days when they were getting beat it was a lot of narrow loses, but he got rid of Brogan's duds and he eventually got his wee run at the end which saw them over haul Berwick.  What ever way you look at it to be down and out in the middle of March and mange to stay up is some going of course aided by Berwick going into free fall but Rovers still had to grind out results which they did. five wins a draw and two defeats at the business end when it mattered doing the job.

First things first the point should be enough to secure our safety, well done to the boys on that. 
The question for me though has to be, is Johnny Harvey the man to take us forward next year? I don’t believe so, rapid decline since his arrival. 
Rapid decline since this game