Questionable football rules

tarapoa

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

In the Domestic Cups?

They still do in the Champions League IIRC

It's more the wording, the team with the most away goals goes through on countback after a draw, but they don't "count double"

Also away goals in ET is bullshit. Completely unfair on the home team.

It's more the wording, the team with the most away goals goes through on countback after a draw, but they don't "count double"

Also away goals in ET is bullshit. Completely unfair on the home team.
I know I was doing the P&B standard of continuing the count double patter even though its clearly shite.

Nice to see you posting again btw brother. Havent seen your work in a fair while?

Just now, Bairnardo said:

I know I was doing the P&B standard of continuing the count double patter even though its clearly shite.

Nice to see you posting again btw brother. Havent seen your work in a fair while?

Thanks mate.

Been busy, I still lurk on here every now and then.

6 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

In the Domestic Cups?

They still do in the Champions League IIRC

I can't wait for the playoffs where folk will ask if away goals count (no, only goals scored at home count) and/or if they count double.

17 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Two-legged ties should go straight to penalties.

Indeed that's what they now do in the English League Cup, IIRC.

My objection isn't away goals but use of the phrase "count double". They don't.

11 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Yes, thank you! Away goals have never counted double.

Thank god you guys said this. I was seething reading this thread.

15 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Thank god you guys said this. I was seething reading this thread.

Never venture in the early pages of playoff threads then. 

Last season the thread for our playoff against Dundee United was littered with shit about away goals 'counting double' and nonsense about if 'away goals count'.

On 27/02/2019 at 11:33, ScottishZizou said:

That no-one really knows what constitutes a handball is very amusing, e.g the World cup Final. I remember hearing an American who didn't know much about football not being able to get their head round the penalty (which he said was basically like giving a goal) for a handball that the person couldn't really do anything about. I think the rule should be changed to an indirect freekick if non deliberate but arm in unnatural position and direct freekick/penalty if deliberate. It's a tricky situation and a definite grey area.

For a handball to be a foul, it has to be deliberate. According to the laws of the game, if a non-deliberate handball prevents a direct goal it's still not a penalty, but just play on. Same if a non-deliberate handball results in a goal being scored, technically the goal should stand. It's rare for these extreme cases to be applied in that way, but this is what's in the laws of the game.

On 27/02/2019 at 18:24, HibeeJibee said:

Two-legged ties should go straight to penalties.

Indeed that's what they now do in the English League Cup, IIRC.

My objection isn't away goals but use of the phrase "count double". They don't.

On a related note, commentators that bang on about "priceless away goals" in a win-to-nil need to learn basic maths.

A team that wins n-0 away from home in the first leg cannot benefit from the away goals rule: 

If they win or draw the second leg, they go through thanks to scoring more goals.
If they lose the second leg <n -0, they go through thanks to scoring more goals.
If they lose the second leg n-0, both have scored the same number of goals (that they're away goals is irrelevant) so it goes to ET.
If they lose by any other n goal margin, they go out on away goals.
If they lose by any margin > n, they go out having scored fewer goals overall.

On 27/02/2019 at 08:23, MEADOWXI said:

This more a rule that is ignored than questionable, a corner kick not being taken correctly, majority have the ball outside the arc

Capture.PNG

Tbf does the ball not just need to "overhang" the line?

Can be placed outside the arc but an aerial view would show it encroaching the arc line, and it would be okay.

Added time inconsistencies piss me off, or more to the point the amount of time the ref doesn't add on when he clearly should.

Example, score is 0-1 heading into the 90th minute. Board is held up indicating there will be a minimum of 4 minutes added time. Away team makes a sub and take the piss with how long it takes. Home team equalises in the 92nd minute, cue mad scenes - coaches, subs and fans on the pitch. Game finally restarts in the 94th minute, a few seconds before the ref blows for full time, despite less than 1 minute of the added 4 actually containing any football.

39 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Here's a point - why do linesman operate only on the right-hand half of the pitch? No reason they couldn't officiate on the left-hand half, surely.

It's all down to the referee and their style of officiating. The vast majority cover (from back to front) bottom-right to top-left diagonal; the linesmen then cover the bottom-left/top-right corners.

Indeed they could both operate down one side.

A diagonal system allows the three officials to most efficiently keep watch on the whole pitch. You'd always have an empty area that is poorly covered by any official.

12 hours ago, Marten said:

For a handball to be a foul, it has to be deliberate. According to the laws of the game, if a non-deliberate handball prevents a direct goal it's still not a penalty, but just play on. Same if a non-deliberate handball results in a goal being scored, technically the goal should stand. It's rare for these extreme cases to be applied in that way, but this is what's in the laws of the game.

The scoring a goal one is changing I think. 

Archived