Questionable football rules

tarapoa

How come if, for example, there are two minutes added time at the end of a half, the referee will generally always allow time for a set piece to play out if there’s a corner or free kick right near the end of the added time.

If an earlier corner had taken the best part of a minute of setting it up before being taken (maybe with a wee bit of jostling and the ref having a word) - it would almost certainly not be a factor in determining added on time at the end.

My point - two minutes is two minutes......unless there have been injury or sub stoppages during added time surely?

Refs seem to want the ball to be cleared into harmless territory in the middle before they blow their whistle.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s a minimum of 2 minutes (or whatever) that’s added on.

Which means if the referee thinks 2.5 minutes is needed then 2 is shown.

The ball is also never in play for 90 minutes, even allowing for time added on. So it’s not really a big deal allowing a set piece to be taken.

Why we've a circle and D for the opposition to retreat behind at kick-offs and penalties, but not an arc for it at corners despite the fact corners happen more often than goals or the start of halves.

Why we've a spot for taking penalties and kick-offs, but an arc for taking corners (why not a spot?).

Why the goal-posts can be 1, 2 or 4-sided, but not 3-sided.

Why artificial pitches have to be green (plus in 1 shade not striped).

Penalty shootout substitutions/sending-offs.

Halfway line flags.

Goalkeepers being permitted hats.

"Away goals count double".

Charade of players having their studs checked at substitutions.

Indirect free-kicks in the box for pass-backs and off-ball obstruction.

Also a personal bug bear... goalkeepers controlling the ball outside the box, dribbling it inside and picking it up. Like in rugby where you can't retreat into your own 22 and kick for touch, this should be banned.

Oh, and why we call it "the woodwork".

7 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Why we've an circle and a D for the opposition to retreat behind at kick-offs and penalties, but not an arc for it at corners despite the fact corners happen more often than goals or the start of halves.

Why we've a spot for taking penalties and kick-offs, but an arc for taking corners (why not a spot?).

Why the goal-posts can be 1, 2 or 4 sided, but not 3-sided.

Why artificial pitches have to be green (plus in 1 shade not striped).

Halfway line flags.

Goalkeepers being permitted hats.

Charade of players having their studs checked at substitutions.

Indirect free-kicks in the box for pass-backs and off-ball obstruction.

Also a personal bug bear is goal-keepers controlling the ball outside the box, dribbling it inside and picking it up. Like in rugby where you can't retreat into your own 22 and kick for touch, this should be banned.

Oh, and why we call it "the woodwork".

Agree with point 1, those little marks are pretty shitty an arc would be far better.

2. Do we even need a spot? can't we just take it from where the 2 lines meet? would be interesting to be a fly on the wall when that decision was made.

3. How the f**k do you have 1 or 2 sided posts? Unless your counting round ones as 1 sided, even then 2 sided doesn't add up.

4. 'to make them look like grass' fairly pointless rule but suppose keeps traditionalists happier, tho shading should be allowed, and i guess areas like goalmothes should have a few brown sections...

5. there seems a point in time where these randomly died, guess everyone woke up one day and wondered the same thing, not even sure why we had them in the first place, a relic from the 2 ref days?

6. Is this rule specific for keepers?, I would think in theory everyone can where a cap, but its far less of a hindrance for keepers. Surprised there not been a rule specifying these to be 'team colours' yet- eta I've actually looked this up, it would appear 'goalkeepers caps' are indeed a thing, tho others are allowed to ware headgear, they are however restirced to  'same colour' rule. also uniquely keepers can ware trousers, but outfielders can't

7. I also wonder why we bother, i would think its a relic from the times of removable studs where players put whatever stud the fancied in. Nowadays with mass-produced boots its far less problematic, tho i'd guess without checks some would find a way to stretch the limits.

8. These are a glorious feature in  football, absolute drama.

9. It clearly doesn't bother me as much as you,  but if we are creating a new rule to cover it i think we should be more elaborate, limited touches before a pick up perhaps? would stop the 'ball runs through to keeper, who dribbles it to corner of box waits with hands over the ball until striker approaches scenario.

10. another relic of the past.

1 minute ago, parsforlife said:

can't we just take it from where the 2 lines meet?

Tbf - a post with a flag must be placed at each corner.

1 minute ago, parsforlife said:

3. How the f**k do you have 1 or 2 sided posts? Unless your counting round ones as 1 sided, even then 2 sided doesn't add up.

Goal posts may be round, elliptical, oval, square or rectangular in shape.

2 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

6. Is this rule specific for keepers?, I would think in theory everyone can where a cap, but its far less of a hindrance for keepers.

Goal keepers may wear caps.

2 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

7. I also wonder why we bother, i would think its a relic from the times of removable studs where players put whatever stud the fancied in. Nowadays with mass-produced boots its far less problematic, tho i'd guess without checks some would find a way to stretch the limits.

What checks? Often the linesman barely bothers looking!

Tbf - a post with a flag must be placed at each corner.

Goal posts may be round, elliptical, oval, square or rectangular in shape.

Goal keepers may wear caps.

What checks? Often the linesman barely bothers looking!

Ah yes, perhaps a spot a foot further forward than that would be helpful.

on the cap thing, it is odd, keepers can where caps, but outfielders can have 'headgear'  quite where one ends and the other starts I've no idea, but i suppose its easy for refs as no outfielder randomly decides to where cap.

On the studs thing, your right , everyone know it to just be routine, the players get the same check pre-match fro the ref,  it achieves nothing. I have serious doubts that refs/linesmen ever find something dodgy that they'd stop a player coming on for. 

might as well add a couple

why don't refs just user laser distance calculators for measuring 10 yards? cheap, simple and consistent. especially with disappearing spray its bewilders me why we don't use relatively simple tech to get this sort of thing right everytime.

similary why do we have goaline technology? the tech is exactly the same if we were to use it for areas of the pitch, again, why not just get these simple things right?

I hate, probably more than I should, the fact that referees don't care how long it takes to take a throw-in/goal-kick etc in the first half of a game, yet if it approaches the last fifteen/twenty minutes, they go into some sort of fit of anger if a player doesn't take the set piece as quickly as is humanly possible.  Applies to supporters as well. When does time wasting actually become time wasting?

10 hours ago, tarapoa said:

How come if, for example, there are two minutes added time at the end of a half, the referee will generally always allow time for a set piece to play out if there’s a corner or free kick right near the end of the added time.

If an earlier corner had taken the best part of a minute of setting it up before being taken (maybe with a wee bit of jostling and the ref having a word) - it would almost certainly not be a factor in determining added on time at the end.

My point - two minutes is two minutes......unless there have been injury or sub stoppages during added time surely?

Refs seem to want the ball to be cleared into harmless territory in the middle before they blow their whistle.

The official laws are that a referee only is obliged to add time on for a penalty kick, not for a corner or free kick.

This more a rule that is ignored than questionable, a corner kick not being taken correctly, majority have the ball outside the arc

Capture.PNG.210e68ec2b494c7ec473b9bcb9076d5f.PNG

Probably not, whole of the ball has to be outside the arc(over the line), it rarely is.

Quite why they are so desperate for a few inches I've no idea.

That no-one really knows what constitutes a handball is very amusing, e.g the World cup Final. I remember hearing an American who didn't know much about football not being able to get their head round the penalty (which he said was basically like giving a goal) for a handball that the person couldn't really do anything about. I think the rule should be changed to an indirect freekick if non deliberate but arm in unnatural position and direct freekick/penalty if deliberate. It's a tricky situation and a definite grey area.

Away goals counting double in extra time. 

Personally I would get rid of the away goals rule completely but I think it’s ridiculous that a team can have an extra half hour to score one. Especially when they claim the home team for the second leg have an advantage.

4 hours ago, Gunz said:

Away goals counting double in extra time. 

Personally I would get rid of the away goals rule completely but I think it’s ridiculous that a team can have an extra half hour to score one. Especially when they claim the home team for the second leg have an advantage.

Two-legged ties should go straight to penalties.

Indeed that's what they now do in the English League Cup, IIRC.

My objection isn't away goals but use of the phrase "count double". They don't.

18 hours ago, The Golden God said:

Not being allowed to take pass a goal kick to someone who's standing in the box, it's a completely pointless rule because the punishment is just re taking the goal kick.

"You can't do this"

"Ok, what happens if we do?"

"Nothing"

Other than the ref booking players for taking the piss, I've no idea why this isn't used as a time wasting tactic more often. "Oops, didn't kick it far enough again, I'll have another go"

5 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Two-legged ties should go straight to penalties.

Indeed that's what they now do in the English League Cup, IIRC.

My objection isn't away goals but use of the phrase "count double". They don't.

Yes, thank you! Away goals have never counted double.

Archived