Aberdeen v Accies

Guest Bob Mahelp
22 minutes ago, Jute said:

Abysmal performance last night from everyone in red. As one of the Accies fans said our only plan seemed to be punt the ball long for Cosgrove not to win headers. Bench was very weak. Wonder if all those who were hailing our January window as a success still think the same.

While I agree with that, I'll go back to the fact that we've been utterly cursed by injuries in defence this season. It seems like every single week we're trying out a new combination, and it's inevitable that this leads to mis-communication and mistakes.

McKenna has had injuries and suspension to deal with, and Devlin an injury that kept him out for almost 3 months. Both are struggling to regain the form they had at the beginning of the season.

Logan has been out of sorts, but I'd rather have him at right-back in poor form than Dominic Ball in any form. I don't think we've ever put in a decent performance when Ball has played right-back.

The one diamond in amongst a sea of turds has been Lowe, and it's a f*cking nightmare to see him injured last night. Anyone heard anything about his injury ?

Going into the currant game with a back 4 of Ball, McKenna, Devlin and Considine is enough to give any Dons fan the night sweats. 

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Bob Mahelp said:

While I agree with that, I'll go back to the fact that we've been utterly cursed by injuries in defence this season. It seems like every single week we're trying out a new combination, and it's inevitable that this leads to mis-communication and mistakes.

McKenna has had injuries and suspension to deal with, and Devlin an injury that kept him out for almost 3 months. Both are struggling to regain the form they had at the beginning of the season.

Logan has been out of sorts, but I'd rather have him at right-back in poor form than Dominic Ball in any form. I don't think we've ever put in a decent performance when Ball has played right-back.

The one diamond in amongst a sea of turds has been Lowe, and it's a f*cking nightmare to see him injured last night. Anyone heard anything about his injury ?

Going into the currant game with a back 4 of Ball, McKenna, Devlin and Considine is enough to give any Dons fan the night sweats. 

Mcinnes saying last night he had no idea on Lowe's injury, but as it forced him out of last night he is obviously a doubt for Sunday.

Maybe I've hit a point in my life where Aberdeen is slipping down my priority list but planning a wedding next year, moving jobs and all that jazz that comes with being mid to late 20s, I'm struggling to come up with justification to spend £400 on next year's season ticket.

Perhaps people will see that as an overreaction generally but I've struggled the last 12 months to see progress in the club on the park. We are not replacing players well, we are struggling to take in players that fit the style that we still want to play (get it wide and run at teams). Our style of play is increasingly turgid with long balls to Big Sam the order of the day. To me, it has gotten very stale and I think DMs time is looking like coming to a natural conclusion.

Granted I have not been to any away games this season, can't afford to, so I may not see the best bits of this team. I'm fully aware what DM has done to turn this club round and even reaching the cup final this season. However, on the park, we are going backwards with little idea of how to build back up again like we did so well when we phased out Flood and Pawlett for the upgrades in Shinnie and McLean.

Last night, we made the same mistakes as we have too often this season. 3 at the back with a sitting midfielder in front at home to a team where that will not work against. We didn't run at Accies or turn their defence anywhere near enough. I felt Shinnie and Ferguson just did not link the play between defence and attack anywhere near effectively enough. Long balls to Sam and crosses aplenty did not work but we didn't change at all. The lack of January business showing up badly.

Fair play to Accies, they were an enjoyable watch. Miller gave Considine a torrid night, their defence came through pretty well and Lenny Sowah looked a decent player

Tough watch. Didn't think it was a particularly bad game but Accies definitely deserved the win.

On another day at least one of the efforts that hit the bar, post or cleared off the line would have been a goal but we had no luck at all.

It looked like one team had turned up ready to put everything in to winning the game whilst the other team had one eye firmly on the big cup game at the weekend.

Won't get in to slaughtering individuals but Ferguson looks like he's played too much football. To go from playing 11 games or whatever it was for Hamilton last season to playing almost every game for us has to be taking a toll on the lad.

I could be wrong but I doubt he or McInnes thought he'd have played so often too. Both Forrester and Gleeson would have been expected to play a hell of a lot more than they have. It's a lot of strain for a young guy who, as you say, hadn't played much first team football, although he hasn't been phased by it mentally.

6 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

I could be wrong but I doubt he or McInnes thought he'd have played so often too. Both Forrester and Gleeson would have been expected to play a hell of a lot more than they have. It's a lot of strain for a young guy who, as you say, hadn't played much first team football, although he hasn't been phased by it mentally.

Aw yeah absolutely. He's been fantastic. I thought he'd been involved but not to the extent he has.

Archived