Brendan Rodgers

thisal

9 minutes ago, skippy2015 said:

Basically Celtic will have a hard time getting a better manager at developing and improving players that’s the simplest way to look at it.

Rodgers certainly has a good reputation in the game as a coach and also seems a pretty good Man Manager so I suppose it's up to Celtic whether they go for a "name" or try and find someone who's renowned as a coach but maybe not in the top job at their club.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, skippy2015 said:

You talk absolute rubbish as usual not only has he improved McGregor Tierney Bain Christie Armstrong and Forrest what about the next generation of Johnston and Henderson who were developing well under Rogers and may not get their chance how. If you don’t think Rogers leaving is not a negative for the national team your deluded.

Who’s Rogers and who was he the manager of?

I mean, he improved Forrest, but anyone who came and told him hes allowed to pass the ball rather than just stick his head down and charge forward would've done that.

Not convinced you can lay much praise for Tierney and McGregor at his feet though, they both seem to have been touted as stars for a long time.

Agree wholeheartedly with OP.

The fitness of them all have improved massively.

Pretty much saved Browns Celtic career.

Got a bit more belief and consistency  in Forrest

Turned Mcgregor from a squad player in to a swaggering superstar for us.

Bain- given how shite Dundee fans said he was he has been a revelation  this year.

Folk mention Henderson but he did the right thing in letting him go. His brother has broken through now.

Johnston has broken through as well with Rodgers picking him over Musonda and even trusting him up front on his own at Ibrox.

I find it no coincidence that Scotlands late charge for qualification came under Rodgers getting the likes of Brown playing out their skin.

The only blotch is Hendry but despite getting caps, he is shite.

5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I mean, he improved Forrest, but anyone who came and told him hes allowed to pass the ball rather than just stick his head down and charge forward would've done that.

Not convinced you can lay much praise for Tierney and McGregor at his feet though, they both seem to have been touted as stars for a long time.

McGregor couldn’t get a regular game before Rodgers arrived. Tierney perhaps yes would have always shown signs of being a top player or capable of becoming one at least.

You dismiss the improvement in Forrest as saying anyone could have got that improvement out of him but the evidence proves otherwise. He’s an immeasurably improved player at this point and that improvement came under Rodgers, not any of the other managers he’s played under. Whataboutery from you.

1 hour ago, skippy2015 said:

Also worth pointing out credit goes to his coaching staff the majority of which has also left for leicester

Yeah credit  especially to the goalkeeping coach who assisted in getting Gordons career back on track after over 2 years out the game. He’s also managed to get Bain looking like the next Scotland 1 somehow. I rated Bain years ago but his career seemed to go backwards. He’s been at Celtic for over a decade so also was involved in turning Fraser Foster from a big lump to a champions league level goal keeper, I dont think anyone saw that coming. 

Im in my 30s so had been used to rather unconvincing goalkeepers at Celtic but since this guy has been here its been quite different. 

10 hours ago, Londonwell said:

McGregor couldn’t get a regular game before Rodgers arrived.

He played 31 games the season before Rodgers arrived and his game time had been increasing year on year, one could argue this is merely natural progression as he approaches his prime years. 

I'd be willing to give Rodgers credit for helping to improve McGregor. I've always thought Rodgers was a good coach more than anything else. His time at Celtic has done nothing to go against that.

Tierney just looked like he had the talent from the off.

That "anyone could improve Forrest" comment was fantastic even by RG's hysterical standards. As if all of the people he's played under just missed that one wee simple thing.

32 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

He played 31 games the season before Rodgers arrived and his game time had been increasing year on year, one could argue this is merely natural progression as he approaches his prime years. 

I always rated Mcgregor but at times he lacked confidence,consistency and could have been a bit fitter. I also wasnt too sure how much of an impact he could make in Europe.

Since Rodgers came in all of that has improved to the point he is pretty much first on the team sheet. That rise cannot simply be down to natural progression.

Rodgers is no messiah but it just shows how good domestic players could become under a competent coach who embraces new techniques.

Scotland might as well not bother now. We're clearly fucked, especially since we can only pick Celtic players and they are the only team producing young eligible players. 

All the Scotland players who play for Celtic will now regress massively and we'll finish bottom of the group.

55 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Precisely, so the next Celtic gaffer could continue to improve these players?

As in Lennon? Well no, he has already proven to not to be as good a manager/coach yet as Rodgers. Lennon could improve some players but no where near to the same level as Rodgers did. Rodgers has spent decades coaching at all levels, speaks 3 different languages and has sampled coaching across the continent. How often do domestic players get to work with a guy like him?

30 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Just a very naughty boy?

How did I not see that coming

50 minutes ago, gannonball said:

As in Lennon? Well no, he has already proven to not to be as good a manager/coach yet as Rodgers. Lennon could improve some players but no where near to the same level as Rodgers did. Rodgers has spent decades coaching at all levels, speaks 3 different languages and has sampled coaching across the continent. How often do domestic players get to work with a guy like him?

Lennon is interim manager and in all likelihood will be gone in the summer if the Celtic board have any sense. You've got Brendan Rodgers wages sitting there and £6 million quid from Leicester, if Celtic lump for Lennon you've surely got to question why. 

59 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Lennon is interim manager and in all likelihood will be gone in the summer if the Celtic board have any sense. You've got Brendan Rodgers wages sitting there and £6 million quid from Leicester, if Celtic lump for Lennon you've surely got to question why. 

NL arguably achieved more of note than BR. Outwith Scotland, nobody gives a toot about the treble treble, and if they do it's almost viewed with pity as a marker for how uncompetitive our league is.  By beating Barca and getting into the CL last 16, NL made the footballing world sit up and take notice, even if only for a short time. He was impressive at Hibs to until it went sour recently. If NL proves he is up to the job then why would you go for another manager just because he costs more money/sounds flashier?

Not saying NL is better than BR, but I don't think he's miles worse.

3 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

NL arguably achieved more of note than BR. Outwith Scotland, nobody gives a toot about the treble treble, and if they do it's almost viewed with pity as a marker for how uncompetitive our league is.  By beating Barca and getting into the CL last 16, NL made the footballing world sit up and take notice, even if only for a short time. He was impressive at Hibs to until it went sour recently. If NL proves he is up to the job then why would you go for another manager just because he costs more money/sounds flashier?

Not saying NL is better than BR, but I don't think he's miles worse.

For the simple reasons outlined by many on this thread. If a coach like Brendan Rodgers is capable of getting that much extra out of your normally average Scottish players, why wouldn't Celtic look for a coach of a similar mould? I'm not saying they have to go and get a name, I'm simply saying they'll have cash there to tempt a very good standard of manager, so plumping for Neil Lennon who doesn't really have a track record for improving young players would seem a strange move.

For the simple reasons outlined by many on this thread. If a coach like Brendan Rodgers is capable of getting that much extra out of your normally average Scottish players, why wouldn't Celtic look for a coach of a similar mould? I'm not saying they have to go and get a name, I'm simply saying they'll have cash there to tempt a very good standard of manager, so plumping for Neil Lennon who doesn't really have a track record for improving young players would seem a strange move.

Point taken but it’s hard to attract a top coach to Scotland. That’s why we have been stuck with the Ronnie deilia Pedro caixinha Neil Lennon ally mccoists and mark warburtons of this world.

Archived