Smart speed limiters

17 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Altho if the cars had limiters then if you were doing 70 no one could come screaming up behind you like that as they cant go any faster than you so wont catch you up :)

It would be fun if you had an old car and were pootling along at 65 when someone in a limited car beeped at you, and you shot up to 90. And slowed back down to 65. Repeat. :P

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trouble with speed limiters is you are all maxed out but with a tiny bit of variance. So you all get bogged up together. And accidents happen when you get too close to somebody else.

As counter intuitive as it may sound - and as is currently the case - if you are slowly gaining on someone on the motorway at +/-70mph or so, once you’ve caught them, it’s much safer to speed up to 80mph to get by them quickly and return to your 70 than hang about next to them taking the best part of a mile to creep past.

I doubt limiters will ever gain the AI to allow for common sense.

17 hours ago, Zen Archer said:

I despise drivers that treat the road like a game of Tetris. 

For example,  when overtaking a slow moving car behind a lorry,  you can bet on the p***k in the car moving out and hitting the accelerator. 

The look of terror on their face is amazing as you jab  the brake pedal and watch them wiggle all over the place. 

What is the other driver supposed to do in that scenario? I come on to the m90 every morning and the road is pretty busy but traffic is moving at pretty much the speed limit. Within 500 yards on the motorway I will be behind slower traffic and under your scenario I'm supposed to sit there all day whilst other cars zoom past? 

No thanks. Instead I'll flick on the indicators and wait for a flash and I'll move across sensibly. Is there a different way to play that? 

13 hours ago, CountyFan said:

What is the other driver supposed to do in that scenario? I come on to the m90 every morning and the road is pretty busy but traffic is moving at pretty much the speed limit. Within 500 yards on the motorway I will be behind slower traffic and under your scenario I'm supposed to sit there all day whilst other cars zoom past? 

No thanks. Instead I'll flick on the indicators and wait for a flash and I'll move across sensibly. Is there a different way to play that? 

I have witnessed the manoeuvre I explained almost go horribly wrong on the A92 between Kirkcaldy and Lochgelly.

The exact scenario I explained but without the hilarity.

I passed a car behind a lorry, the car whose driver had no way of seeing what was going on ahead, pulled out just as I applied the brake as I saw the vehicles in front brake lights illuminate.

The guy nearly went into the barrier as he tried to avoid a collision, this is why such behaviour pisses me off.

On 26/02/2019 at 20:23, alta-pete said:

Trouble with speed limiters is you are all maxed out but with a tiny bit of variance. So you all get bogged up together. And accidents happen when you get too close to somebody else.

I doubt limiters will ever gain the AI to allow for common sense.

It's funny that you mention common sense in your last sentence after displaying none in your first.  People only "get bogged up together" if they don't keep safe distances, your brakes will still work with a speed limiter fitted.  Accidents happen when you get too close to somebody? Stay further back then. This assertion that everyone must go as fast as possible when on the road is what drives all of these scenarios.  If everyone left in reasonable time and drove like a reasonable human being we wouldn't have accidents or the need for speed limiters or speed cameras or dash cams.

46 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

It's funny that you mention common sense in your last sentence after displaying none in your first.  People only "get bogged up together" if they don't keep safe distances, your brakes will still work with a speed limiter fitted.  Accidents happen when you get too close to somebody? Stay further back then. This assertion that everyone must go as fast as possible when on the road is what drives all of these scenarios.  If everyone left in reasonable time and drove like a reasonable human being we wouldn't have accidents or the need for speed limiters or speed cameras or dash cams.

On the basis of your logic we all then slowly collapse to the speed of the slowest. Sorry chief but I've got places to go and people to see. I'll do it at the pace I feel is safe.

And bear in mind we're debating the speed limiter point - which I think we are both in agreement that we do not want - but I don't see that either 70 or 80mph is anywhere near  'as fast as possible'.

Speed exacerbates the damage of crashes, it doesn't cause it. Crashes are caused by incompetence, whether it be driving up someone's back too closely, pulling out at the wrong time, lack of concentration or even speeding at a stupid place/time.

By limiting speed you are limiting people's ability to react to situations, which remains an important part of driving.

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

Speed exacerbates the damage of crashes, it doesn't cause it. Crashes are caused by incompetence, whether it be driving up someone's back too closely, pulling out at the wrong time, lack of concentration or even speeding at a stupid place/time.

By limiting speed you are limiting people's ability to react to situations, which remains an important part of driving.

You've inevitably got less time to react to something the faster you go.

On 26/02/2019 at 08:34, Dons_1988 said:

I'd rather they raised the standards for passing your test than this pish.

I am of the opinion that everybody should resit their test every couple of years.

Also they should invent cars that explode if you drive like a fanny.

1 hour ago, alta-pete said:

Sorry chief but I've got places to go and people to see. I'll do it at the pace I feel is safe.

Cool, but you've got to realise if we all just did what we "felt was safe" on the road instead of following rules which actually have some justification behind them then it'd be a disaster.

I am of the opinion that everybody should resit their test every couple of years.

Also they should invent cars that explode if you drive like a fanny.

This is actually a good idea but would be met with so much uproar I can’t see any government bringing it in. When my folks learned to drive they were told to stop at every roundabout regardless. Any stop at a junction or light meant hand-break on and car out of gear. And there was no obligation to drive at the speed limit when safe to do so. Can you imagine if everyone learned like that now?

10 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

This is actually a good idea but would be met with so much uproar I can’t see any government bringing it in. When my folks learned to drive they were told to stop at every roundabout regardless. Any stop at a junction or light meant hand-break on and car out of gear. And there was no obligation to drive at the speed limit when safe to do so. Can you imagine if everyone learned like that now?

This sounds precisely why people should be tested again

On 26/02/2019 at 18:22, NewBornBairn said:

Brake test the c**t. Every, Fucking, Time. I used to use my handbrake so they didn't get any warning, brilliant seeing the look of terror in their faces in the rear view mirror. Unfortunately I've got an electric parking brake and can't do that any more - boooo!

Dash cams probably f**k your chances of doing it anyway, especially if it shows nothing in front of you. FWIW "brake testing" someone on the overtaking lane on a motorway is far, far more dangerous than someone speeding.

I was up in Aberdeen last week and almost feel asleep on the average speed road, you end staring at your dash more than the road as its surprisingly hard to keep a car below 80 when you've got six gears and over 300hp. Driving to Glasgow much better, I average over 80 but never come close to crashing, and you don't spend the whole time staring at the same thing.

Still not sure why speed limits can't be set to correspond with your car tbh, folk go about in 911 type cars, which can stop almost instantly, yet are restricted to the same speed as people in Micras/Fiats, which takes about eight miles to stop.

4 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Closest I've come to an accident is when I was overtaking a lorry, on an average speed camera road, at 70, and the old c**t who'd been sitting up their arse decided to swing out in front of me without indicating when I was virtually side by side with them.

48 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

folk go about in 911 type cars, which can stop almost instantly

It's not the car that's the issue though, it's the ability (or lack of) of the driver. 

1 hour ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

When my folks learned to drive they were told to stop at every roundabout regardless

It's bizarre that really considering the whole point of a roundabout is to keep traffic flowing. The majority of which these days fail miserably in that respect as the road furniture seems to be placed to obscure your view on approach forcing you to stop anyway :lol: 

13 minutes ago, Trackdaybob said:

It's not the car that's the issue though, it's the ability (or lack of) of the driver. 

Found some 60-0 figures..

911 GT3 - 30m

Citreon C1 - 44m

So thats 14 metres of difference, I'm sure that means that if both drivers pressed the brake at the same time, they'd stop and virtually the exact same spot even if the Porsche was going just under 10mph quicker.

Without being funny, but those with more expensive cars generally drive better as they've more to lose, nothing scarier than a rusty old Corsa barrelling down the motorway beside you.

Archived