Smart speed limiters

https://www.falkirkherald.co.uk/cars/car-news/mandatory-speed-limiters-to-be-fitted-to-all-cars-within-three-years_c743c21eaf72a5fadc29b0e6e8ca8633/

Probably not the greatest piece of journalism given the paper BUT it all reminds me of an old episode of tomorrows world i saw as a child ( feel auld yet?) where i chip in a car , way back in the mid 90s could limit the speed output to whatever the signal dictated speed limit was . The driver could put his foot doon, drop a gear whatever and the car wouldn’t break the limit, the limit could be varied aswell.

Anyway it relied on a signal from a radio transmitter so was never going to be rolled out on a massive scale but now things have moved on a bit . Most new cars have satnav fitted and the maps know the speed limit for the road your on and there you go , combine the two devices and no more speeding.

The comments section is full of people in denial cause nobody likes to be told they can no longer do something they take for granted now, personally i think its inevitable. Maybe no in 3 year but probably widespread in 10.

Electric and driverless cara seem to be met with alot of hate, especially from brexity type folk. Whats people’s thoughts on this caper?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Road sign recognition is rubbish, it just reads every sign in view rather than signs applying to the road, for example driving past Dalgety Bay there is a building site with a 10 mph sign on the grass verge between the site and the main road (40 mph) so the cars road sign reader put on the digital display that its 10 limit could you imagine if the cars slowed down to 10 mph because a sign was in the wrong place, you could cause havoc on the motorway. Also the scanners don't work well on "smart motorways" and they tell you the limit on the roads is lower when they signs warn your of 300 yards 200 yards and 100 yards to a lower speed.

I can drive, its why I passed my test I know how to operate the windscreen wipers, the hand-break and the lights, I really don't know why these have been automated on modern cars, surely the acceleration, braking and steering are the tricky bits of driving. Cars might eventually be "driverless" but they will always require an operator, car manufacturers should be cracking hydrogen cars instead of doing this stuff. I'm not a gammon. Honest

ETA - they won't be smart, if they were smart they would be able to drive at the speeds suitable to the conditions so on a motorway during light traffic in good weather surely a smart speed limiter would allow the car to travel at 100 mph seeing as cars now have much better breaks than when the 70 limit was introduced.

Following a link from effeffsee's article, I came across the top 10 most active speed cameras in Scotland for 2018. 

https://www.gocompare.com/car-insurance/speed-offences/#/constabulary/police-scotland/active-cameras

Apart from the fact that those in the North-East can't be trusted to drive their cars at a reasonable speed, how do they get away with "Withheld" after a Freedom of Information request?

9 hours ago, Adam101 said:

Road sign recognition is rubbish, it just reads every sign in view rather than signs applying to the road, for example driving past Dalgety Bay there is a building site with a 10 mph sign on the grass verge between the site and the main road (40 mph) so the cars road sign reader put on the digital display that its 10 limit could you imagine if the cars slowed down to 10 mph because a sign was in the wrong place, you could cause havoc on the motorway. Also the scanners don't work well on "smart motorways" and they tell you the limit on the roads is lower when they signs warn your of 300 yards 200 yards and 100 yards to a lower speed.

I can drive, its why I passed my test I know how to operate the windscreen wipers, the hand-break and the lights, I really don't know why these have been automated on modern cars, surely the acceleration, braking and steering are the tricky bits of driving. Cars might eventually be "driverless" but they will always require an operator, car manufacturers should be cracking hydrogen cars instead of doing this stuff. I'm not a gammon. Honest

ETA - they won't be smart, if they were smart they would be able to drive at the speeds suitable to the conditions so on a motorway during light traffic in good weather surely a smart speed limiter would allow the car to travel at 100 mph seeing as cars now have much better breaks than when the 70 limit was introduced.

They're called brakes. 

50 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

This is the first time I've seen concrete evidence that people do get done by average speed cameras.

Has to be tourists or the really thick. Peak time for speeding offenses is the summer months, so maybe it's more the tourists who don't know how they work.

43 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Has to be tourists or the really thick. Peak time for speeding offenses is the summer months, so maybe it's more the tourists who don't know how they work.

Know someone done on the M74 average cameras during the roadworks. Thick probably covers it, started running late during delivery drops so ran through above limit.

10 hours ago, Adam101 said:

Depends, wouldn't trust some drivers to be able to do that sensibly! Even though brakes are better, many of the roads are not designed for much more than 70mph. 

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

I had a friend who would tan his motorbike at 100mph then pull in and have a fag for 10 minutes and keep going on the basis his average speed would be under the limit, no idea if that would actually work or not.

Most average speed cameras are aimed at the front of the vehicle passing, motorbikes don't have front facing number plates. We are allowed to do whatever speed we want through them, it's the law.

2 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

I had a friend who would tan his motorbike at 100mph then pull in and have a fag for 10 minutes and keep going on the basis his average speed would be under the limit, no idea if that would actually work or not.

not really getting there any quicker tho..... . 

as far as I know correct me if I'm wrong.    1. your speedo reads a few mph higher than your actual speed measured on a satnav,   2.  youre not charged until your doing 10% or more over the limit.   3 . its almost  impossible to average over 66 on a single carriageway   for miles at a time  and very difficult to average over 77 on a duel carriageway  unless  they're both almost empty. Therefore by my reasoning the only way to get done on an average camera is to just completely ignore the warnings and put the boot right down like a maniac 

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

I'd rather they raised the standards for passing your test than this pish.

So would I but theres no point in hoping for people to change their ways when they don't want to.  nearly all drivers break the speed limit from time to time and some do so outrageously but only a few are hell bent on racing around like a mad c**t.  at the moment your chances of getting done aren't all that high and if you do its not normally the end of the world either.   If these devices were mandatory and it was made a criminal  offense with a hefty penalty to tamper with them, then you have more or less done away with speeding for good.   only the most determined would risk getting into trouble by removing the limiter and the rest , those who sometimes go too fast , wont.

My prediction , this will be phased in , there will be salty tears but eventually acceptance

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

@Trackdaybob won't be happy with this.

Contrary to your belief, I'm a big fat meh about it. No need for panic just yet. Or at all even :) 

1. It'll be years before it's anywhere near implemented. Years. If at all. Then it'll be new cars at first. That won't affect me. 
  2. If/when it does get implemented, there are still plenty roads around where you can have just as much fun under the speed limit. And tracks too of course ;) 

The A537 'Cat & Fiddle' for example is average camera at 50mph these days. Even then, it's a challenge and great fun. 

There'll be a massive "Look at us making it safer" campaign when it does appear because we all know speed is absolute evil :o 

What they'll not mention is the minor detail that drivers who do dare overtake will now have to spend more time on the opposite side of the road whilst overtaking. In a trucks on the dual carriageway style. Safe as f**k that isn't it? :lol: 

How many times do you see some muppet overtake and just make it back in in front of oncoming traffic?? No doubt accompanied by you flashing your lights and/or muttering profusely? Well think about what if his vehicle was limited? Would they have made it back in? It could be argued that they shouldn't overtake of course but not everyone is capable of judging it are they? That scenario happens every day.

Whilst limiting vehicles will undoubtedly save lives in 20's, 30's and 40's, in NSL's (or GLF's as I call them ;) ) it could be argued that it may be the cause of  (some)accidents as opposed to reduce them. Of course all the research by people far more qualified than you or I will have been carried prior to implementation won't it? Of course it will. That said, ultimately, people who can't actually drive will still crash. Unfortunately, some of them will still die or kill others.  

22 minutes ago, Trackdaybob said:

What they'll not mention is the minor detail that drivers who do dare overtake will now have to spend more time on the opposite side of the road whilst overtaking. In a trucks on the dual carriageway style. Safe as f**k that isn't it? :lol: 

How many times do you see some muppet overtake and just make it back in in front of oncoming traffic?? No doubt accompanied by you flashing your lights and/or muttering profusely? Well think about what if his vehicle was limited? Would they have made it back in? It could be argued that they shouldn't overtake of course but not everyone is capable of judging it are they? That scenario happens every day.

Whilst limiting vehicles will undoubtedly save lives in 20's, 30's and 40's, in NSL's (or GLF's as I call them ;) ) it could be argued that it may be the cause of  (some)accidents as opposed to reduce them. Of course all the research by people far more qualified than you or I will have been carried prior to implementation won't it? Of course it will. That said, ultimately, people who can't actually drive will still crash. Unfortunately, some of them will still die or kill others.  

:lol:

You have some of the most bizarre arguments on road use that I've ever read.  

6 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

:lol:

You have some of the most bizarre arguments on road use that I've ever read.  

The bit you highlighted is about the first thing he's said about speeding that makes sense to me.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

The bit you highlighted is about the first thing he's said about speeding that makes sense to me.

Really? People should be allowed to speed so that morons can overtake when they can't even judge if they've got enough room to do so? 

3 hours ago, flyingscot said:

Depends, wouldn't trust some drivers to be able to do that sensibly! Even though brakes are better, many of the roads are not designed for much more than 70mph. 

The smart speed limiter sounds like it auto pilots your cars speed though so it would know what speed is managable.

Will they use the same technology to stop people dawdling way under the speed limit for no good reason? I'd love to see some doddery old basket case screaming his head off in fear as his car automatically accelerates above his preferred "40mph on all roads".

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Really? People should be allowed to speed so that morons can overtake when they can't even judge if they've got enough room to do so? 

Idiots misjudge overtaking all the time, sometimes slamming on the throttle is the only way to avoid a head on collision. 

Archived