St Johnstone vs Hibernian

1 hour ago, Green Day said:

St Johnstone players heads exploded after the penalty - Kamberi got fouled at one point, Craig went mental  and Flo blew him a kiss - match was pretty much in the bag after that.

We all know some decisions go for you, some against, but Wrights mental rants about the penalty showed him up as a fanny last night.

Tony Watt going down quicker than a Leith hoor when Slivka caught up with him - vaguely worth a mention?

Anything Tommy?

Nope - his head had gone, in line with the players.

Under pressure, lads..................

flohat.png.d818c02f57989665fcf92e582a88633f.png

Are you meaning for the sending off? Slivka should've been off already for the tackle on Kane near the touch line but I didn't think there was much debate about his red card? First one a clear dive, the second one it appeared to me that he clipped Watt who'd gotten past him?

We were on top for 60 minutes until the penalty, the players completely lost their shit, and with it their composure and we barely created anything after the penalty. You'd think we were the team down to 10 men in between the red card and the 2nd goal going in - we were all at sea, created nothing and I felt the sucker punch was coming for a good 5 or 10 minutes before it eventually did.

I know we have a far easier run in than Hibs and Motherwell (on paper anyway) but I just can't see us climbing back into the top 6 now that we're out of it. The run of fixtures prior to this game was difficult but the performance levels have dipped well below what's required. We probably need to try and shitfest a win at Livingston in 10 days to give ourselves a chance. That's something we've managed twice already this season but both times were on the back of decent victories. 

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Green Day said:

Yes its 6th place and even though you have a much easier run in to the split than Hibs, I think he saw this as a must win match.

Its pretty much all you have to aim for now, no?

The run of games against Celtic sucked any enthusiasm anyone at the club had for this season out the window, it feels like. The performances and selections since feel like we're just going through the motions until its over now.

Can I ask on what basis do St.Johnstone fans think that they were the better team last night or deserved to win? They shaded the first half maybe but they weren't the better team and were pretty dreadful against ten men, at home.

3 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Created more chances, played better football. 

I think you’d get a decent percentage of Hibs fans who would say St Johnstone were the better team, you’d be lucky to get one St Johnstone fan who would say Hibs were the better team. Good barometer for me. 

Absolutely, as your one shot on target demonstrates

5c77b81573baa_Screenshot2019-02-28at10_28_56.thumb.png.01ed79c841205ff721cf700fb80aaf8c.png

Tommy Wright post match interview made for shocking viewing too....................

sheep.jpg.18833613fa5cf18aba470c4e03ae77e3.jpg

5 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Created more chances, played better football. 

I think you’d get a decent percentage of Hibs fans who would say St Johnstone were the better team, you’d be lucky to get one St Johnstone fan who would say Hibs were the better team. Good barometer for me. 

I only watched from half time when it was pretty even until the pen, comfortable for us after that. 

24 minutes ago, conboyhibs said:

Can I ask on what basis do St.Johnstone fans think that they were the better team last night or deserved to win? They shaded the first half maybe but they weren't the better team and were pretty dreadful against ten men, at home.

We looked comfortable at 1-0, Hibs were having a lot of the ball but not doing anything with it, and we looked decent on the counter. We don't lose many games after going 1-0 up either. If Hibs don't get that penalty, then go a man down, its not hard to envisage us just shitfesting the last 15 minutes and taking the 1-0.

After the equaliser though, Hibs were the far better team.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

We looked comfortable at 1-0, Hibs were having a lot of the ball but not doing anything with it, and we looked decent on the counter. We don't lose many games after going 1-0 up either. If Hibs don't get that penalty, then go a man down, its not hard to envisage us just shitfesting the last 15 minutes and taking the 1-0.

After the equaliser though, Hibs were the far better team.

I find it hard to agree with you that Hibs going a man down somehow worked in our favour. No matter what way you look at it, that's a considerable advantage to St.Johnstone.

Until the last 5 minutes when St J were shelling it into our box we were playing all of the good football. It wasn't a typical 10 man performance when you are looking to soak up the pressure and break up the park and hopefully nick a goal. A draw would have been fair enough but I don't think St Johnstone were worth a win. 

Also, I'd have Kennedy back in a heartbeat, his delivery into the box is terrific at times. 

2 minutes ago, conboyhibs said:

I find it hard to agree with you that Hibs going a man down somehow worked in our favour. No matter what way you look at it, that's a considerable advantage to St.Johnstone.

I never said that? I said if Hibs go a man down, whem its 1-0 then I could imagine us winning 1-0.

Hibs were the better team after the score went 1-1. They remained calm while Saints got desperate.

Personally, I made it clear I didn't think Saints deserved to win, for the simple fact they managed the game so poorly against ten men in the last 30 minutes. Saying it's a game you should never have lost, doesn't directly mean you think you deserved to win; the point is that no team in the scenario Saints found themselves in should be losing a match like that. It was a game against similar opposition and one we were in control of largely, then get handed the advantage of playing against ten men.

In saying that, and whilst it wasn't a vintage performance by any means, I don't think there's any doubt that Saints merited their lead when they had it. Would anyone argue against that?

What happened after makes it hard to have much sympathy with the outcome though, a complete lack of composure being the main factor.

Balanced comment on the game Radford. Saints clearly the better team first half and early second half (those stats look nonsensical to anyone actually at the game).  

The penalty decision is one of those things that happens in football. I'd be the first to concede we've had a soft penalty or two this year. The problem for Saints was how they managed the game after losing the lead, and especially after the sending off. In combination with some individual performances this turned the game (never mind Saints, the #40 that Hibs brought on was classic impact sub stuff, he was tremendous). Essentially Hibs went up a gear and Saints went down two .. Hibs sensed the win and Saints were scared of losing.

Think it says a lot about the confidence and self-belief in these squads right now. 

13 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

I'd be interested to see the stats in relation to how well we generally do after the other team has been reduced to ten men...

I'll put this in spoilers as it might be lengthy.

In Wrights tenure...

Spoiler

2018/19

2-1 Loss to Hibernian - Red card at 1-1, on 67 minutes.

1-0 Loss to Celtic - Red card at 1-0, on 90 minutes.

2017/18

4-1 Win against Motherwell - 3 red cards to Motherwell...

3-2 Loss to Dundee - Red card at 3-1, on 83 minutes.

2-1 Win against Hamilton - 2-1 at red card, on 90 minutes.

0-0 Draw with Hearts - Card on 78 minutes.

1-1 Draw with Hibernian - Losing 1-0 at card, card given on 14 minutes. Equaliser in 83rd minute.

2016/17

3-2 Loss to Rangers - Losing 2-1 at red card, Card on 78 minutes.

2015/16

2-1 Win over Motherwell - 2-1 at red card, on 86 minutes.

0-0 Draw with Hearts - Red card on 28 minutes.

1-0 Win over ICT - Red card on 35 minutes, winner on 84 minutes.

1-0 Loss to Dundee United - 1-0 at red card, on 60 minutes.

2-1 win over Alashkert - 0-0 at red card, on 11 minutes. Lost tie by one goal.

2014/15

Beat ICT 1-0 - 1-0 at red card, card on 67 minutes.

1-1 Draw with Motherwell - Winning 1-0 at red card, card on 25 minutes.

1-1 Draw with Hamilton - Losing 1-0 at card, on 58 minutes.

1-1 Draw with ICT - 1-1 at card, on 85 minutes.

1-0 Win over Kilmarnock - 1-0 at time of card, on 71 minutes

2013/14

3-1 Win over Kilmarnock - Two Kilmarnock players sent off, 2-0 at time of first red

3-0 Win over Dundee United - 0-0 at time of red, on 20 minutes.

Taken from Wiki so hopefully accurate.

Breaking it down...

Games played against ten men: 20

Wins: 9 - Games won after the red card: 4

Draws: 6 - Draws after losing before red card: 2 - Draws after winning before red card: 1

Losses: 5 - Losses after losing before red card: 4 - Losses after drawing at red card: 1 - Losses after winning at red card: 0

Doesn't tell the full story of every game, obviously.

Goals scored after red card: 14 - Goals conceded after red card: 6

Archived