Elgin C v QP

Always a good trip but not quite as good when it's bloody midweek. We'll see if any of the team can't make it through work, but I've been quite happy with how we've been playing recently and we seem to have cover in most areas.

Delighted that Sutherland has moved on from City. I might be tempted to bring McKernon back into midfield if Mark Roberts plays 4 at the back and start Moore for Hawke, who's been a bit flat recently.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who would you have McKernon replace? I don't fancy him in defence. I saw a post on the QPvClyde thread suggesting he should replace McLaren which I thought was harsh given his MoM award on Saturday. I felt sorry for Dom as he did well when he came in to cover injuries along with McKernon in a make shift defence (red cards aside of course) but as soon as Gerry was available again he was dropped while McKernon kept his place at the back. Perhaps that's credit to McGrory who filled in in midfield once Jambo moved back, and again I think it would be a shame for Calvin to loose his place to fit McKernon back in. Injuries and availability may have a hand in team selection and formation tomorrow night of course, but while I think McKernon is a very good player at this level, he's not been at his best this season, and I don't think he's so much better than the rest that those who have been playing consistently well should be dropped just to accommodate him. It will be interesting to see the formation and lineup tomorrow.

I would agree with the comments that Hawke has gone flat. Lack of pace is his main problem. I would leave out Gow for East and that gives us more pace. If we use either Moore or East as an impact sub I would consider Peters even though I am not his biggest fan. I really cannot see a starting place for McKernon anywhere in this team. McGrory does not deserve to be dropped. His workrate is excellent.

Would definitely have Mckernon back in the team, however not for the expense of Mcgrory who has been excellent in recent weeks, very calm and composed on the ball. Something we've lacked since having someone like Berry in the team. Would sacrifice Gow and push Roberts up the pitch, whilst giving Hawke a rest for Moore. 

I think Gow has been given a decent enough run to prove himself and it hasn't really worked. He had a bright spell a few weeks back but has faded.

I agree that dropping Calvin for Jamie would be harsh; the lad has done really well and justifies his selection. Can we afford to do without McKernon though? Not sure that we can. Clyde were sailing through our midfield on Saturday all too often. 4 at the back with Jamie in front? Ideally, we'd play 12!

1 hour ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Clyde were sailing through our midfield on Saturday all too often

Absolutely this. Not the first time either this season. It reminded me of the the second half v Nomads. It would be worth giving Mckernon a shot in midfield, drop Gow to the bench, play Galt further forward.

Would definitely have Mckernon back in the team, however not for the expense of Mcgrory who has been excellent in recent weeks, very calm and composed on the ball. Something we've lacked since having someone like Berry in the team. Would sacrifice Gow and push Roberts up the pitch, whilst giving Hawke a rest for Moore. 
Yep

18 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Elgin City 5 Queens Park 3

or

Elgin City 0 Queens Park 4

You never know, I've seen us win 5-3 at Elgin midweek, about 6 years ago I think. We were 5 up after an hour.  I've also seen us win 4-0  up there.  Realistically, I'd take a point this time

6 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Always a good trip but not quite as good when it's bloody midweek. We'll see if any of the team can't make it through work,

Full squad to pick from according to Mark's interview from Saturday. 

Definitely see the midfield as our achilles heel at the moment. Jamie’s had a bad press because he was in a role that’s not his best. to protect Gerry’s recovery. Cowden’s goal left me wondering if Gerry had been behind Jamie making the tackle would it have played out differently?

Big Lewis is the best aerial ball winner in a long time up front and he’s our top scorer but he’s had decent service of late. If he plays Moore instead it would need a very different approach from the defenders.

As I said before we’re in a place now where Mark can play around with the options. Whatever his choices Mr Gowzer has to take a pew.

Well, we were truly dreadful until the last 10 minutes when we at least looked interested. Several players out injured didn't help, but neither did a poor starting formation. One up front, and that one was Mcleish. Really?? Cracking equaliser from Darryl, who put in another huge shift. Play-offs slipping away now, which probably won't be a bad thing because on tonight's performance we would have no chance.

Don't really know what to make of that game! We were awful for 75mins and the only route out of our own half was punting it long and trying to chase it down. QP weren't great but if they had got a few of the countless half chances they had on target the game would have been won by half time. Simply didn't see us getting back into the game at 0-2 but this Elgin team of late have shown a great fighting spirit and once we nicked a goal (from a phantom corner!) we looked likely to get another! McHardy was immense in the last 20mins. Besides the quite superb goal he was up and down the pitch like a man possessed. Thought we would win tonight but it feels like a point gained rather than 2 points lost.  Kudos to QP fans for excellent midweek support!

Don't know why McHardy was gifted so much space to tee up his volley, but a worthy strike. Elgin really weren't in the game but they sensed our panic after their first. I thought we were good and deserved our lead, but a draw sums up our season. We'll be hard to beat for the rest of the season and I'd prefer to sign up pretty much most. Kurtis better stop drawing attention to himself though.

Lucky to get a point from this as we were poor for most of the match. Long balls and 100 mph football do not suit us and I felt we badly missed the composure of Brian Cameron. Not for the first time Darryl saved us and without him and his goals we would be in a much worse position. QP will be disappointed with only one point but full credit to their fans turning up in numbers after a long journey and making plenty of noise. I can't see us getting anything out of the Peterhead game and we are certainly not nearly good enough to  progress up the league

Archived