Elgin C v QP

First up, a huge thanks and well done to all the guys who made the effort to be in the squad. There must have been quite a few who had to shuffle their lives around just to be in the team bus. As it turned out, the depth of squad was to let us down in the end.

First half we dominated without much goal threat. It was encouraging how competitive all players were and in the last 15 or so we looked the more dangerous. We picked up exactly the same in the second and with McGrory and Roberts bossing the middle well supported by Moore and Galt dropping to collect. The team looked as well balanced as it's been all season. Hawke then smashed in a cracker after some nice movement down the right and for the next 30 minutes we battered the Elgin goal. Moore's goal was a peach too and the youngster put a great shift in linking the midfield and Hawke. Just after that Gibby came off, unclear at the time why but Marko reports it was "precautionary". No criticisim from me as if we lost Gibby again now it would be a slow crawl to the end but it turned out to be the catalyst for the final result. 

Grant came on at RB, McLean switched to LB and Summers was moved into Gibby's position. The anchors in all this was McLaren, himself just back after a lengthy spell out of the team, and McKernon, a midfielder again asked to help due to McLaughlin's absence. In minutes what had been a seamless defence was suddenly all over the place. Young Grant in particular looked lost and unsure of his role. Then, what looked to most of the fans to be a ball going out for a bye kick was chased by McLean and resulted in an unenforced corner and Scott twisting his ankle. Consequently a poor goal was conceded with too much space in the vacant RB position.  McLean then had to hobble off but with no more defenders on the bench Peters came on. With East now on the park and looking lively and Galt and Hawke both holding up well I expected Hawke to drop back, and bolster the defence and Peters to sit up front but they all stayed up and the back 5, now 4 and without a leader, couldn't seem to adapt. A free kick followed and bizarrely Grant for some reason left his RB position , ran across the box almost to the opposite side before being urged back by Summers and the Elgin kick came in with 2 men spare at the back and plenty of time to shoot.

A serious of unfortunate events then. A shallow squad with not enough cover? Gibby coming off too soon? No-one to co-ordinate the three positional changes as a consequence? Decision to play another sub up front and reduce a disjointed defence from 5 to 4? The positives were huge though. We absolutely tonked Elgin up to 80 minutes and scored two well worked and finished goals. But as Velvet Donkey said, a win turns to a draw again; story of our season. At least we have time, and plenty of good and committed players, to fix it. 

Final word; it's always great to have the players come over and applaud the travelling fans, especially on a long-haul midweek. Well done Jambo for leading the way.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mclean went over his ankle as he tried to shepherd the ball out and touched it out for the fateful corner.

Gibby taken off as a precaution.

A great 75 minutes but we died / Elgin woke up therafter. We should have had it sorted before the hour mark but this is why we won't be in the play offs.

An enjoyable trip nonetheless.

Well, we were truly dreadful until the last 10 minutes when we at least looked interested. Several players out injured didn't help, but neither did a poor starting formation. One up front, and that one was Mcleish. Really?? Cracking equaliser from Darryl, who put in another huge shift. Play-offs slipping away now, which probably won't be a bad thing because on tonight's performance we would have no chance.

Just a pity mchardy and co canny defend

Centre halfs  are fine just need a bit more organisation. The problem is at full back where the positioning, decision making and general defending is poor. It causes poor decisions across the defence. Very harsh to call McHardy out after a game where he was the sole reason that we managed to get a point!

As much as I was encouraged that QP are improving in all areas, I thought Elgin put very dangerous dead balls in the box every time ( I counted about seven from corners and free kicks). We wasted pretty much all of ours. It makes a big difference to the outcome of a game.

As much as I was encouraged that QP are improving in all areas, I thought Elgin put very dangerous dead balls in the box every time ( I counted about seven from corners and free kicks). We wasted pretty much all of ours. It makes a big difference to the outcome of a game.
The corner whipped in for their first goal was simply undefendable. That was the left back with the ponytail. Had to laugh when someone shouted "gap year p***k!" at him.

Archived